• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worst sprinter ever?

May 20, 2010
Visit site
skidmark said:
Which professional rider is the worst sprinter you've ever seen? ie. if there was an all-time bunch sprint, who would most definitely lose? Video evidence is appreciated, but not necessary.

Abdujaparov.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Martin318is said:
He was just the most dangerous - he was definitely successful at the time though.

Wot price success? (To borrow from GB Shaw)

Something tells me that his kamikaze maneuvers would earn him no points today.

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
to be honest, when you've got to be at 100% at 600 metres out when Haussler kicks (2nd best in peloton after Cav) to barely stay in his slipstream, you're going to be toast at the finish. Only 21 as well... fair go

battery89 said:
to be honest, when you've got to be at 100% at 600 metres out when Haussler kicks (2nd best in peloton after Cav) to barely stay in his slipstream, you're going to be toast at the finish. Only 21 as well... fair go

The thing to take away from this is also that Haussler is not a very good lead out. Yes, he's fast but as a leadout you're not supposed to jump away from your sprinter forcing them to kill themself to follow you. He would be much more help accelerating in a way where the sprinter gets the full benefit of the speed without using all his energy too early. Haussler has done this many times before when he has tried to lead someone out.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Worst sprinter might be Lance Armstrong, judging by that Tour stage this year. That was an awful sprint, they were all going so slow, Horner was barely any better than Armstrong...Fedrigo was chuckling to himself the entire time.

In fact that'd make sense, as Armstrong once said he never sprinted because it sapped too much energy from the muscles. So if he never practiced it and never did it in races, it'd be no wonder that he was lousy at it.

I vote for Cancellara, because he never really sprints, he just remains sitting with his hands on the hoods and produces incredible power. I don't think I've ever seen him actually stand up and sprint like a regular person!

Martin318is said:
He was just the most dangerous - he was definitely successful at the time though.

Agreed. My pick's a guy who's not a pure sprinter who tried to do sprints but didn't have a lot of success, mainly due to the fact his job at one certain race was laboring for Lance... Hincapie. Although he did take some first places like Gent in 2001.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Damn, Haussler just gapped them in that video though. He didn't look to even kick that hard. Just wound up, and pulled away. If he went from 400-500, instead of 600, he could have won himself.

I hope he races the tour next year as Garmin's number 1 sprinter. He is the only guy who can really challenge Cavendish consistently I think. And he will climb much better too. I think he'll be a huge green jersey chance. Will be interesting with Farrar and Thor in the team though! Also funny that Haussler doesn't consider himself a sprinter...perhaps because he is too good at the classics as well. But he is as fast as 99% of the sprinters out there.

I'm split on how I want him to race in the tour next year, as a huge Mark Renshaw fan, I like seeing Cavendish get up (when Renshaw gets credit!), but any other time, I'd much rather Haussler win! :)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
abbaskip said:
Damn, Haussler just gapped them in that video though. He didn't look to even kick that hard. Just wound up, and pulled away. If he went from 400-500, instead of 600, he could have won himself.

I hope he races the tour next year as Garmin's number 1 sprinter. He is the only guy who can really challenge Cavendish consistently I think. And he will climb much better too. I think he'll be a huge green jersey chance. Will be interesting with Farrar and Thor in the team though! Also funny that Haussler doesn't consider himself a sprinter...perhaps because he is too good at the classics as well. But he is as fast as 99% of the sprinters out there.

I'm split on how I want him to race in the tour next year, as a huge Mark Renshaw fan, I like seeing Cavendish get up (when Renshaw gets credit!), but any other time, I'd much rather Haussler win! :)

Haussler has already said he won't be sprinting for Garmin next year, just targeting one-day races.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Haussler has already said he won't be sprinting for Garmin next year, just targeting one-day races.

Yeah, but he also mentioned he'd like to win the Green jersey...I think the not sprinting thing was very much a "let's not upset the new team mates, and leave the decision to the manager" sort of speak :)

A

Anonymous

on3m@n@rmy said:
Agreed. My pick's a guy who's not a pure sprinter who tried to do sprints but didn't have a lot of success, mainly due to the fact his job at one certain race was laboring for Lance... Hincapie. Although he did take some first places like Gent in 2001.

That was the first person who came to my mind too. He was touted as a sprinter, but never seemed to win a mass sprint.

A

Anonymous

abbaskip said:

You guys are crazy. In a heads up mass sprint, Farrar takes Haussler. I realize xenophobia drives opinion, and this is clear evidence. Farrar actually beat Cav this year. Haussler...not this year or last in a true heads up sprint. Sorry.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
My vote for a pure sprinter who has spectacularly failed to live up to his early promise, goes to..................................................Ivan Quaranta.

I haven't heard that name in a few years but to be fair to the man, it's hard to be a sprinter when you're such a spectacular climber......:D (I remember him getting dropped on anything steeper than a driveway)

Alex Zulle. I don't think he had one fast-twitch muscle fiber in his whole body. Combine that with his vision problems and bike handling skills (maybe related) and he won only one sprint (against one other rider) in his entire career. He joked about his lack of sprinting prowess after winning that race.

TRENDING THREADS