• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Would you like to see Anglirú in TDF one year?

Would you want to see El Anglirú in the Tour de France one year

• No really, I don't see why TDF should go to Asturias

Votes: 33 82.5%
  • Id like to see this climb like part of TDF at least one time

Votes: 7 17.5%

• Total voters
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes TDF goes to another countries: Spain, Italy, UK, etc. So I was thinking about the possibility of TDF going to Spain and climbing Anglirú. Would you like it?.

No, that kind of stuff belongs to the Vuelta.

I like that the Giro, Tour and Vuelta all have their own character. Giro with the gruelling mountain stages and treacherous intermiate stuff, Vuelta with the monoclimb monsters. Tour with the gradual climbs.. leave it that way.

I genuinely love the genre mix in grand tours. using agnello or arcalis in the tour, risoul and galibier in the giro, peyragudes is the vuelta is great stuff. each of grand tours has its special features but why not to spice it up, engaging some climb from the other one? riding up the Angliru in the Tour would be great, but sadly I don't think this happening in the coming years. on top of that, it's not the best choice in terms of logistics as far as I'm aware?

Dekker_Tifosi said:
No, that kind of stuff belongs to the Vuelta.

I like that the Giro, Tour and Vuelta all have their own character. Giro with the gruelling mountain stages and treacherous intermiate stuff, Vuelta with the monoclimb monsters. Tour with the gradual climbs.. leave it that way.

I feel like the Tour generally has the most boring mountain stages. Of course there are other reasons, such as strength of the teams, individual riders forms, riders having too much too lose and strength of the GC riders. Sky doesn't help either, admittedly. But perhaps introducing occasionally a Giro or Vuelta type climb would help. I would like to see more variation. Why not mix them together a bit? I don't think it would spoil the 'characteristics' of any of the GT's.

Whether it is practical or not is another issue.

The organisers of the Tour also run the Vuelta and would be killing the unique identity of the Spanish race if they nicked THE legendary climb of that three-week GT.
While we are talking about parcours I'd love to see, as maybe a one-off, the Tour adopt three weeks of classics-style rolling stages with no TT's or big mountains to really open up the field.
The racing would be very aggressive and exciting and the Tour is big enough not to be damaged by going outside the current format of endless days of pan-flat cycling with a weekend of climbs.

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
No. The Vuelta and Giro shouldn't use the Alpe d'Huez or Mont Ventoux; the Tour and Vuelta shouldn't use the Passo dello Stelvio; the Giro and Tour shouldn't use the Angliru.

Really don't know this: Alpe D'huez has ever been featured in Giro in the last 30 years? Or Stelvio in the TDF?
Maybe some are part of the identity of a given GT, hence they have never been featured (or, at least, only a very few times) in other GTs.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Re:

ice&fire said:
France has plenty of brutal climbs west of La Pierre Saint Martin they never use. If they persist in this neglect I'm in favour of using them in La Vuelta instead. They did it last year and everyone seemed to like it.

There is no towns who candidate to have a stage from the TDF in that area.

Sadly, I don't think they'll be more interested having the Vuelta instead...

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
The real question would be if people want to see the Finestre in the Tour de France.

Also, the closest thing we had in the last few years was the Vuelta finishing on the Aubisque. People were quite enthusiastic about it

We want Basset, leave Finestre to Italy and construct your own unpaved climb legend. :D

But we all know that TDF doesn't want unpaved climb. Even Vuelta refused Trobaniello in the 2014 Farrapona stage. :(

Re: Re:

Chrispol said:
ice&fire said:
France has plenty of brutal climbs west of La Pierre Saint Martin they never use. If they persist in this neglect I'm in favour of using them in La Vuelta instead. They did it last year and everyone seemed to like it.

There is no towns who candidate to have a stage from the TDF in that area.

Sadly, I don't think they'll be more interested having the Vuelta instead...
No problem. La Vuelta can return to a stage finish in Spain climbing Larrau or LPSM :D

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
This makes no sense, unless the TDF starts near Asturias. The reason that the Galibier featured in the Giro or the Aubisque in the Vuelta is that they lie very close to the (respectively) Italian and Spanish border. Around 20-30 km. The Angliru is at least 340 km from the nearest French border....

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Nah I don't like it if GTs use iconic climbs of other GTs. Galibier in the Giro was also pretty stupid, imo.

It only makes sense if its on the border or if it is very close by and very useful for good stage design. Let's say, if the TDF hires Zomegnan and wants to do Isola 2000 > Fauniera > Sampeyre > Agnello > Izoard, then sure. Who could object to that? If the Vuelta or the TDF want to do good Andorra stage or a stage around Larrau or something, sure, go into the other country. But going way into another country to hijack one of its iconic climbs used in a different race, nope, I don't like it. The Giro, TDF and Vuelta have enough iconic climbs of their own. Only if its to design a good stage using a pass on the border do I appreciate going into a different country for some other climbs, iconic or not.

Re:

portugal11 said:
No!! It would be disgusting to see the sky train controlling a zoncolan or angliru. Huh...
what does it have to do with sky train controlling the pace uphill? it seems sky train can be easily blamed for any race ending up with undesired outcome. although angliru and zoncolan deliver unbounded room for attacks since drafting has pretty much no effect on such steep slopes.

No to this. I have no problems with using climbs/passes that may be just over the border; ie as both TDF/Vuelta do with Andorra or the French/Italian border but Asturias doesn't fit that category. They have sufficient options to choice inside French territory or within the "border allowance" without needing to push it this far