• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wouldn't it be great to see?

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I was just thinking, have we ever seen contador go all out putting in attack after attack over several stages? He always seems to make a big gain on the one stage and then just matches the attacks of the others trying to get back the time. Maybe (and far be it for me to wish ill will on any of the competitors out there), just maybe he loses a substantial amount of time over the cobbles and we get to see him light it up in the mountains trying to get the time back.

That for me would make an awesome tour, where instead of marking and matching we see constant attacks, but then again maybe Contador doesn't have that in him???? i reckon he might though!

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Aus_Orca said:
I was just thinking, have we ever seen contador go all out putting in attack after attack over several stages? He always seems to make a big gain on the one stage and then just matches the attacks of the others trying to get back the time. Maybe (and far be it for me to wish ill will on any of the competitors out there), just maybe he loses a substantial amount of time over the cobbles and we get to see him light it up in the mountains trying to get the time back.

That for me would make an awesome tour, where instead of marking and matching we see constant attacks, but then again maybe Contador doesn't have that in him???? i reckon he might though!

I agree with above - alberto will lose serious time of stage 3 - and he will definitely have to attack in the high mountains. The problem is - Lance is 50% better this year than last and his team radioshack is stacked with guys to tow him up the high mountains.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Aus_Orca said:
I was just thinking, have we ever seen contador go all out putting in attack after attack over several stages?

He did this in his first tour win when he was trying to drop Rasmussen. Basically burnt himself out trying though.

lancewillwin8 said:
I agree with above - alberto will lose serious time of stage 3 - and he will definitely have to attack in the high mountains. The problem is - Lance is 50% better this year than last and his team radioshack is stacked with guys to tow him up the high mountains.
If Contador attacks from the bottom of a serious climb, he'll put major time into Armstrong. Don't fool yourself.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
lancewillwin8 said:

I didn't realize Ferrari was publishing his performance expectations to the public. Are you helping him with the program or just intuitive?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
If Contador attacks from the bottom of a serious climb, he'll put major time into Armstrong. Don't fool yourself.

he who goes deep early, is going to crack and falter. This scenario as described with the cobbles will make for a great race.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
If Contador had that in his legs, which I don't know if he does, would that be a smart tactic to use? I mean if he kept attacking and matching attacks he would gas himself out, Right?

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Contador and the cobbles

Contador did a practice run on the cobbles last week...but he also made a comment that he would rather lose time that he must make up in the mountains rather than risk a crash. I think Stage 3 will be fascinating from a strategy standpoint. RadioShack will do everything they can to stay near the front. If Astana can't keep up easily, they may not try to.

TRENDING THREADS