• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

X-Country Skiing

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
To all the experts out there:

This might be a silly question that strikes its author as somewhat obsessive, but here goes. Do you think muscle mass gained in the back, chest, and shoulders by cross-country skiing over the winter (I live in Wisconsin) offsets any fitness gain or maintenance provided by that exercise? I suppose a related question is whether you think skiing significantly increases upper-body muscle mass.

I was a competitive swimmer until the end of college and notice that even at 5'9 and 155 lbs, I have more upper body than most competitive cyclists. I'm a Cat 2 and still go up hill better than most on climbs less than 20 minutes, but can't help but think I would go better still if I could lose some of the muscle in my upper body. I'm concerned that x-c skiing (skating) will exacerbate the problem.

My inclination is just to go ski. I'm not going to get the call up to Quick Step anytime soon, so I might as well do the things I enjoy, and skiing certainly is one of them. But I like going quickly on my bike even more than skiing. A conundrum.

However, we all know the ladies prefer an anemic upper body :D

Thanks for any advice you'd care to offer.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like you've answered your own question.

Enjoy the fresh snow and crisp air. I'm jealous.

Also, to relate some comparable experience: I will routinely gain 5-7 lbs of upper body mass from Nov-Jan by returning to some indoor rowing and upper body weights to regain overall strength and stability. This weight is always very easy for me to lose again as soon as I start doing a mix of long road rides and medium length road rides with hard intervals. But, the core and arm strength seems to stay with me a little longer than the weight. So, I usually feel stronger on rolling courses and more explosive on the bike in late spring than I do in mid-summer (when I've completely withered again and am a little better on longer climbs).

If I had access to good x-c skiing instead of gym work, I would head outside in a heartbeat. Not only would it be more fun, but I am never able to replicate outdoor training intensity when I'm forced indoors onto machines (whether they be rollers, trainers, indoor rowers, treadmills, whatever).

I couldn't have said it better than ergmonkey.

By the way, I'm in Wisconsin, the Milwaukee area. I used to XC ski 20 years ago, when the snow in this area was consistant. I used to hit Lapham Peak State Park almost every day after work. Sometimes Greenbush or another park in Green Bay. Are you living in an area of the state where you don't have to drive far to hit the trails?

It might be another matter if you were a pro, but IMHO I think XC skiing is the PERFECT way for a cyclist to spend their winter!

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Given Heinrich Hausler in an article on CN today noted that he plans on doing some Cross Country Skiing as part of his early season base fitness training it looks pretty safe. Good enough for a TdF stage winner and second placer at Flanders and MSR, should be good enough for you.

Enjoy the snow.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
@ op

xc-skiing is a fantastic way to stay fit between seasons regardless of your plans for racing in any sport. i traded road racing for xc-skiing several years ago and never looked back. i even commute on my v2's year round.

here is a tip - if you also enjoy ice skating like i do - you can use your old ski boots and bindings in ice skating. look up nordic skates you come to a skating rink or a lake on skis and in seconds you're gliding never changing boots :)

as to excess upper body mass come spring, it's true, it will slow you down uphill in road racing. but i gave up beating little guys uphill long ago, and in stead concentrated on occasional regional time trials - it's safer and the extra trunk and upper body strength helps (or impedes less).

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Very good training

XC-skiing is very good training for cyclists. All the Norwegian cyclists, like Thor Hushovd, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Lars Petter Nordhaug and Kurt Asle Arvesen does a lot of skiing during the winter. Especially Hagen, and Nordhaug.

Hagen came from a lot of XC-skiing to do great races in Qatar and Oman in February.

The only time Carlos Sastre tried XC-skiing during the winter training, he won the Tour de France. :D
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sastre-returns-from-cscs-norway-camp

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Everybody

Thanks for the feedback on my question. I will polish my sticks and wait for the snows! And in the spring I'll use my hulking upper body to power over short climbs and through sprints.

Oh, and Marathon Marke, I'm in Madison. I ski at Odana (often with headlamp after work) and Elver. Decent skiing for a 10-minute drive from my place.