• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Xavier Tondo RIP

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Biciclismo writes that Tondo was in the car and drove outside, but the garage door came down. He then stepped out of the car to press the "open" button for the garage-door. But then the car started rolling and Tondo was crushed between the car and the garage-door.
Intxausti was in the car in the passagers seat and whitnessed the whole thing, but couldn't do anything to prevent the accident from happening.

Pretty close to what it says here

Según el testimonio de Intxausti al manager de la formación española, Eusebio Unzue, que está en el Giro de Italia, Tondo se bajó del coche para accionar la puerta del garaje, el vehículo debió de moverse y la puerta del coche le aprisionó y le hizo un corte profundo en el cuello. Perdió mucha sangre de inmediato y en cuestión de segundos había fallecido ante los ojos de Intxausti, que reaccionó para mover el coche y liberar a su compañero. Le tomó el pulso e intentó poner en práctica los primeros auxilios de rigor, pero se dio cuenta de que no había ya nada que hacer.

Somebody said that he was going to train with Valverde, that is also what this spanish newspaper says .

Tondo e Intxausti iban a entrenarse en las inmediaciones de Granada capital, donde les esperaban otros colegas de diversos equipos como José Joaquín Rojas, Juan Manuel Gárate, Carlos Barredo, además de Alejandro Valverde.

At the time of his death Xavier lived in the village of Pradollano, at the altitude of 2,100m on the Sierra Nevada. Stage 4 of this year's Vuelta a España finishes at Sierra Nevada, but instead of climbing all the way to 2,745m as they did in 2009 they are finishing at 2,126m, in the village of Pradollano itself, on the Cima Alberto Fernández. Don't be surprised to see some kind of tribute on that stage.

Now, I'm going to watch him winning the Volta and try to raise a smile.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
boomcie said:
Updated the avatar for those interested...

n66law.jpg

This month has been such a tragedy for the sport.

Thanks BTW (for some reason it wouldn't be use it as an avatar)

I hope Arroyo can win a stage now.

I can't believe these sad last two weeks for cycling, unreal. This must hit the peloton quite hard I can imagine. All the best to his colleagues and family and friends.
Once again we are reminded that life is a fragile thing. We better enjoy every day as a gift.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
This is...well there's no words for it. There is no luck for the cycling world now. 3 riders in 2 weeks.

Condolences to Tondo's family, everything you read about him was that he was a great guy, this is just so unfair. :(

boomcie said:
I remember reading that, very good interview. Genuinely nice guy.
yes. and they have a very nice tribute up to him there now: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8533/Tributes-paid-to-Tondo-cycling-loses-true-enthusiast.aspx

it's fitting that the team continues on:
With Tondo, things were different. “If there is a race on TV, I watch it like a fan. It doesn’t matter if I am not there, I’m interested. Some friends say to me, ‘but you are a pro rider, and yet you still enjoy it when you see some races?’ But what can I do? It is my passion,” he said, smiling again, meaning every word.

Rest in peace, Xavier Tondo; you left way too soon.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
see this from stage 16 live report.Vroomen's tweet.
"Remember the crazy, rainy, tough stage to l'Aquila in 2010? Only rider across the line with a smile?Xavi"
:(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts