• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I recall hearing an interview in which Cadel Evans mentioned he did yoga as a complimentary session (although a google search for 'cadel evans yoga' didn't turn up much. (I could be wrong)

Seems to me like a good way to build (predominately core) strength without building muscle mass.

I was thinking of adding a session once a week after partaking in it in the past sporadically (particularly as it's winter here and more difficult to get out on the road - though I can usually still manage at least 10-12hrs)

any thoughts?

I do yoga most days of the week after work. I wouldn't suggest it as part of training because the strength benefits will only be readily noticeable to folks who are not already active sportspeople. For sportspeople, yoga should be seen as a tool for maintenance rather than development.

However, yoga might foreseeably form part of a warm-up/warm-down routine because it helps to keep the muscles supple and the joints flexible and lessens the risk of muscle stress injuries. If Evans is doing it, it will probably be for those reasons and perhaps for mental focus.

The sun salutation cycle is the starting point for most people and for cyclists, it gives plenty of attention to the legs and lower back. :)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Agree. Stretching + core work = injury prevention. I don't do it nearly as often as I should, but I am a big fan of incorporating yoga into my exercise schedule.

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I think that stretching and core work is useful for injury prevention, but I also believe that in many cases it would probably increase power. For anyone who has less than perfect flexibility and mobility in the joints, and let's face it, that's a large majority of people, yoga-type training would surely increase fitness in terms of pedalling efficiency.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
i've started doing yoga once a week this year and have had three main benefits. first, its help to loosen up stiff neck / legs etc due to the position on the bike. Marked improvement has been noticed by my Osteo that I have been visiting every 6wks for the last 3yrs.
Second, improvement in balance - vital on the bike particularly for climbing. I've become much more aware of imbalances both on and off the bike. It's helped me to maintain better form on the bike which again help prevent injury and improve efficiency.
third, the breathing exercises practised in yoga have come in handy when riding at my limit. In my group ride when i'm in the red if i focus on my breathing, i find i get more oxygen in each breath and can ride harder for longer, and increase recovery at the lights!

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ah yep - breathing and balance were things which hadn't initially sprung to mind, but make sense.

The general consensus seems to be that it's worth my while. Cheers for the feedback.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I tried to do yoga once but I never saw any results. Maybe I was a little impatient, but I need some exercise with more movement involved. To me, yoga seemed quite boring. Some people speak about the spiritual meaning of yoga, but I didn't see it.