• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Yorkshire bidding for 2019 Worlds

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gigs_98 said:
2018 will probably have a brutal route for climbers. (They want 5000 meters of altitude gain). Therefore I'd rather have a hilly route like Yorkshire for the worlds 2019 and then maybe Colombia in 2020, which would probably also be for climbers...or they make it pan flat so the dominant sprinter of 2020, Fernando Gaviria can win :D ;)

Speaking of Innsbruck, how many options are there for a brutal route anyway apart Igls/Lans/Aldrans from either direction? Maybe only Natters/Mutters/Götzens as option 2, but a lap would be a bit too long

roundabout said:
Gigs_98 said:
2018 will probably have a brutal route for climbers. (They want 5000 meters of altitude gain). Therefore I'd rather have a hilly route like Yorkshire for the worlds 2019 and then maybe Colombia in 2020, which would probably also be for climbers...or they make it pan flat so the dominant sprinter of 2020, Fernando Gaviria can win :D ;)

Speaking of Innsbruck, how many options are there for a brutal route anyway apart Igls/Lans/Aldrans from either direction? Maybe only Natters/Mutters/Götzens as option 2, but a lap would be a bit too long
Hard to say what they will do but they want to make a route with 5000 meters altitude gain, so if they would only use igls they would have to start in Innsbruck. However the organizers already said they want to start somewhere else, like in Kitzbühel. Therefore the first 80 kilometers will probably be flat, so they basically need a 2nd climb or the route would probably only have something like 3500 meters altitude gain. Ofc I fear that they will decide to just make the route easier since Igls is the only really obvious choice as a climb, but anyway the race wouldn't be easy.
My personal dream would be that they use this climb:
2e1yu4p.png

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Re:

El Pistolero said:
With the corrupt UCI we already know Yorkshire will get it.

After the York to Sheffield stage of the 2014 TdF i think they deserve it and im a Lancastrian. 1million people watched that on the road. Plus it was a brilliant race full of incident and drama. It was won by Nibali and produced this top ten

1. Vincenzo Nibali (ITA) Astana (5:08:36)
2. Greg Van Avermaet (BEL) BMC Racing (+2)
3. Michal Kwiatkowski (POL) Omega Pharma - Quick-Step (+2)
4. Peter Sagan (SVK) Cannondale (+2)
5. Tony Gallopin (FRA) Lotto (+2)
6. Michael Albasini (SUI) Orica (+2)
7. Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin (+2)
8. Bauke Mollema (NED) Belkin (+2)
9. Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing (+2)
10. Romain Bardet (FRA) AG2R (+2)

A re-run of that stage would be brilliant :cool:

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Looking at the pictures from the tdf 2014 again I really think Yorkshire deserves this race
Tour-pic.jpg

The crowds alone would make that race rememberable

The climb out from Holmfirth, Yorkshires answer to Alpe D'Huez :D

Two of my mates camped out there five days before the race passed and they said it was just the best time ever and the atmosphere was amazing

Re: Re:

Vladivar said:
El Pistolero said:

After the York to Sheffield stage of the 2014 TdF i think they deserve it and im a Lancastrian. 1million people watched that on the road. Plus it was a brilliant race full of incident and drama. It was won by Nibali and produced this top ten

That stage and fans were insane. I have been visiting a lot of stages and races since 2012 but that was too much. But I loved it.
But I agree. Yorkshire fully deserves it.
I was quite surprised reading that Sheffield and Yorkshire county claiming the Tour Depart as loss making. Seeing those millions people, seeing selling food even in churches I though it had to be very profitable.

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

SKSemtex said:
Vladivar said:
El Pistolero said:

That stage and fans were insane. I have been visiting a lot of stages and races since 2012 but that was too much. But I loved it.
But I agree. Yorkshire fully deserves it.
I was quite surprised reading that Sheffield and Yorkshire county claiming the Tour Depart as loss making. Seeing those millions people, seeing selling food even in churches I though it had to be very profitable.

As an Economist with qualifications in Travel and Tourism as well i would look long term and im sure it was not in the red.

The simple Economics of money spent whilst the tour was there is beyond belief. I was In Harrogate for the end of the first stage, my friend ran a bar there and she took record money for her pub chain for 5 days in a row.

The UK Govt has apparently offered to underwrite the costs, a sop i feel in its failure to tackle obesity

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Colombia, por favor!
I would not mind even Colombia. I have never been there before and WCRR would be the perfect "reason" to visit. I hope I will not be disappointed. I just love that atmosphere during the WC.
Probably nobody fully understood Sagan what he was talking about after his win but I had feeling he was talking about the happiness and friendship between people from other countries, about finding the things that bind us and not take us apart or separate. That is what you feel when you are in that cycling fan crowd.

I personally can say that I felt as an equal European citizen only in Firenze, Ponferrada, Kwaremont, and during some Tour stages. It is already 27 years but we are still the East block Europeans and I hardly can partly understand how the refuges must feel like.

TMP402 said:
Pricey_sky said:
El Pistolero said:

Pretty much this, but with a chance to go and see the Worlds only a 2.5 hour drive from my house I wont be complaining! :D

Good things that happen for corrupt reasons are still good things.

Absolutely, we've seen both with the Tour stage 2 and some of the great racing in the 2 editions of the Tour of Yorkshire that it could be a very good Worlds.

Of course I would love to see and and would once again go up to Holm Moss with the thousands of others...but I think it's a shame they would limit it to just being in Yorkshire. There's a certain pass in Derbyshire which work brilliantly as a stage finish and would make the Mur de Huy seem like a cake walk.

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Winnats said:
Of course I would love to see and and would once again go up to Holm Moss with the thousands of others...but I think it's a shame they would limit it to just being in Yorkshire. There's a certain pass in Derbyshire which work brilliantly as a stage finish and would make the Mur de Huy seem like a cake walk.

Winnats by chance? :D

Gigs_98 said:
For 2020 there is a bid (reported in advanced state from the oraganizers during the Giro) from Vicenza, they planned the start from Venice and the finish over Monte Berico.

Vladivar said:
Winnats said:

Winnats by chance? :D

;)

Gigs_98 said:
roundabout said:
Gigs_98 said:

Hard to say what they will do but they want to make a route with 5000 meters altitude gain, so if they would only use igls they would have to start in Innsbruck. However the organizers already said they want to start somewhere else, like in Kitzbühel. Therefore the first 80 kilometers will probably be flat, so they basically need a 2nd climb or the route would probably only have something like 3500 meters altitude gain. Ofc I fear that they will decide to just make the route easier since Igls is the only really obvious choice as a climb, but anyway the race wouldn't be easy.
My personal dream would be that they use this climb:
2e1yu4p.png

Is that another road to Hungerburg (other than the Höhenstrasse)?

For me an issue with that climb is that it's located about 2.5 km just in a straight line from the start of the climb to Igls, so it would be at least 3km on the road. The shorter variant of the Igls loop is 11km already (the longer version to the bob track is not particularly interesting, both in terms of terrain and scenery), so I would guess that a 2 climb circuit (Igls and Hungerburg) would be around 30km if not more in length.

Also, I do wonder where the finish will be located, because Innsbruck is not a city with many wide streets.

Ironically, Yorkshire getting the WCs would be terrible for British hopes, given that it's nowhere near mountainous enough for Froome, Thomas, Yates or Carthy to be at an advantage over the Sagans and GVAs of the world (especially compared to Colombia), and there's no way they're getting it if they plan on another Doha or Copenhagen for Cav

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts