• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Yorkshire to host 2019 worlds

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theShowstopper said:
I don't think it is particularly wise to host the WC in Yorkshire in times when more and more dirt comes to light for UK cycling/Sky.

the vast majority of people on the side of the road in any race does not really care much about what´s going on. and a veeery minimal part of them follows twitter or forums we we have a full view of all the news and details.
the crowds will be huge anyway. a big number of people follows races and ride bikes for passion, not much linked to the pro-cycling scandals.
it will be very nice

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Stupid question but do the WC really have to be a circuit ? Say they suggest a 250kms route based on the Stage 2 from the 2014 Tour de France.. Would that be possible. My question is more about whether it's a tradition/business decision to have it be a circuit, or whether it's in the rule book.

Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Halifax circuit with Trooper Lane and Shibden Wall please :D
This :lol:
The only problem, is the narrowness of the climbs with the amount of fans expected.

Trooper Lane:
TrooperLane8.png

Shibden Wall:
Shibden-Wall.jpg

Shibden wall isn't too narrow, but the dry stone wall will make the area for fans narrower. This will then mean it will basically be single file racing up the climb, which is not the best for racing, as we saw on the Ventoux.

However it would be good to see these climbs in the worlds!

Re:

veji11 said:
Stupid question but do the WC really have to be a circuit ? Say they suggest a 250kms route based on the Stage 2 from the 2014 Tour de France.. Would that be possible. My question is more about whether it's a tradition/business decision to have it be a circuit, or whether it's in the rule book.

It's certainly a business decision (you have to sell those vip-places on the circuit), and I guess also an unwritten rule.

lemon cheese cake said:
Gigs_98 said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Halifax circuit with Trooper Lane and Shibden Wall please :D
This :lol:
The only problem, is the narrowness of the climbs with the amount of fans expected.

Trooper Lane:
TrooperLane8.png

Shibden Wall:
Shibden-Wall.jpg

Shibden wall isn't too narrow, but the dry stone wall will make the area for fans narrower. This will then mean it will basically be single file racing up the climb, which is not the best for racing, as we saw on the Ventoux.

However it would be good to see these climbs in the worlds!

They do not look narrower than any Flemish cobbled hill.

Re:

veji11 said:

Not a stupid question at all, but it doesn't (I don't think). Cities prefer it for obvious logistical and touristical reasons, but if Yorkshire County and not Sheffield/Harrogate city fund the majority then it could be possible we have a non-circuit race.

I'd quite like a race that goes cobbled climbs to Sheffield hills, or any hills that are maybe slightly longer and paved. Or vice versa. A mix of the two could be really fun

May 11, 2009
Visit site

DNP-Old said:
Pricey_sky said:
DNP-Old said:
Globalisation of the sport of cycling my ***. Just whatever city could make the most revenue it seems, which only gets fuelled with this Qatar disaster. Third time in a row now that Boyaca made a solid bid and got snubbed.

......................... Great job Cookson. :rolleyes:

There's more people on the actual podium than in front of it.

I thought it was McQuaid who agreed to Qatar.

Brullnux said:
veji11 said:

Not a stupid question at all, but it doesn't (I don't think). Cities prefer it for obvious logistical and touristical reasons, but if Yorkshire County and not Sheffield/Harrogate city fund the majority then it could be possible we have a non-circuit race.

I'd quite like a race that goes cobbled climbs to Sheffield hills, or any hills that are maybe slightly longer and paved. Or vice versa. A mix of the two could be really fun

It would be great to have the first 150km around the hills of Yorkshire, then if they must do a circuit maybe just 4/5 times round a 20ish km route, maybe Sheffield?