• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

You Think Cycling is Corrupt?!?!

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
If you think cycling is corrupt read the link below about all the 'liberties' taken by the head of 'Athletics South Africa' and two of his subordinates.

http://mg.co.za/article/2011-02-17-chuene-broke-every-rule-in-the-book-says-report/

There were payoffs to employees to keep secret on-the-job affairs from being discovered, undisclosed personal loans, Mercedes cars bought on expense accounts, etc.

Atheltics South Africa paid their CEO $1,700,000 Rand, but the panel investigating all the corruption could find "no susbstantial work" performed by him.

Athletics South Africa had a balance of $500,00 Rand in 2005. By 2008 it was running a $7,000,000 Rand deficit.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anyone who has any knowledge of post-apartheid politics in South Africa would be remotely surprised by this. Zuma makes Berlusconi look like George Washington.

It's not really clinic related.

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Captain_Cavman said:
I don't think anyone who has any knowledge of post-apartheid politics in South Africa would be remotely surprised by this. Zuma makes Berlusconi look like George Washington.

It's not really clinic related.

:rolleyes: Yeah, pal. I'm sure those apartheid era politics were all just so above-board. Right? No corruption until the natives started getting a voice and a vote in their own homeland...

What an asinine comment. I guess this sentiment is to be expected from some. Many even...pitiful...

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think he meant what you infer.

South Africa just has a lot of issues that it needs to sort out.

I can't imagine that many of you have ever been there. Let's just say that the hand-off of power resulted in some changes that most non-African people would never have expected. And you can blame apartheid for it. But it's not even remotely racist to hold the current leadership accountable for how they handle their power.

There's a reason that so many South Africans want the heck out of South Africa right now.

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
I don't think he meant what you infer.

South Africa just has a lot of issues that it needs to sort out.

I can't imagine that many of you have ever been there. Let's just say that the hand-off of power resulted in some changes that most non-African people would never have expected. And you can blame apartheid for it. But it's not even remotely racist to hold the current leadership accountable for how they handle their power.

There's a reason that so many South Africans want the heck out of South Africa right now.

I think he did mean what I deduced.

And those that "want the heck out" are the ones that had been benefitting from a totally corrupt system in the first place. They can rightfully go back to their country of origin and live happily after ever...

Saint Zuma?

fujisst said:
:rolleyes: Yeah, pal. I'm sure those apartheid era politics were all just so above-board. Right? No corruption until the natives started getting a voice and a vote in their own homeland...

What an asinine comment. I guess this sentiment is to be expected from some. Many even...pitiful...

Aw, never let the truth get in the way of a good knee-jerk reaction.

Your strawman argument bores me.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
fujisst said:
rightfully go back to their country of origin

Rightfully, as in it would be "right" for them to leave their own native-born homeland? Meaning they "should" leave?

You just exposed a prejudice of your own.

you want the truth? you can't handle the truth!

So much of what the white South Africans built over many generations has been destroyed since the new government took over.
What the new government has done to SA is every bit as wrong as apartheid.
Just reporting a conveniently overlooked fact.

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
LOL!
You mean to tell me that there are actual, verifiable, and bona fide Apartheid Apologists in a Cyclingnews Forum? Surely you jest...

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
fujisst said:

I'm not your pal, honeybun.

The current situation in South Africa is widely documented. I suggest you start doing some reading.

I notice you use the "Go back where you come from" argument. Interesting company you keep.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
fujisst said:
LOL!
You mean to tell me that there are actual, verifiable, and bona fide Apartheid Apologists in a Cyclingnews Forum? Surely you jest...

You paint with a very wide (and simplistic) brush. That must mean you're in politics.

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
LOL! Of course administration is going to focus on the comments of the minority (literally and figuratively) voice here. So typical...

How does this illumination of corruption compare to, say, the Enron Corp. collapse? I wonder who the perps were in that case. I wonder why that isn't being discussed here on, of all places, a cycling website...

As with the Barry Bonds stuff, just another method you folks use for distraction from the current topic - kinda sucks having to talk negatively about people that resemble you and your buddies. Always so much easier on the conscience to pick a group easily usable for derision...so typical...

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
fujisst said:
LOL! Of course administration is going to focus on the comments of the minority (literally and figuratively) voice here. So typical...

How does this illumination of corruption compare to, say, the Enron Corp. collapse? I wonder who the perps were in that case. I wonder why that isn't being discussed here on, of all places, a cycling website...

As with the Barry Bonds stuff, just another method you folks use for distraction from the current topic - kinda sucks having to talk negatively about people that resemble you and your buddies. Always so much easier on the conscience to pick a group easily usable for derision...so typical...

I just want to know how you arrived at branding me an "Apartheid Apologist". So I can't decry the integrity of a currently sitting government because they rose up from (and out of) aparthied? "Those who are not with us, must be against us"?

fujisst said:
LOL!

IF you are referring to me then the answer is absolutely not. Just pointing out that the new rulers are as bad as the old. Just a different race. Definately not "leadership" material.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
I just want to know how you arrived at branding me an "Apartheid Apologist". So I can't decry the integrity of a currently sitting government because they rose up from (and out of) aparthied? "Those who are not with us, must be against us"?

I agree. I do not think there are a lot of (sane) persons that do not see that the Apartheid era was as heinous as nazi germany during the third reich. However, such regime's successor cannot claim to be above reproach when their own incompetence and corrupt acts are exposed.
Should we just stay silent and turn a blind eye towards the ANC government's current conduct, even when they tried to protect the (ex) head of ASA, to prevent someone from branding us as 'Apartheid apologists'? Sorry, that can't be done, because otherwise the long and bloody struggle for a free and democratic South Africa would have been in vain.