• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"You want a Wheelset"

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Lance stood on a step of the Team Astana Equipment Van, holding Alberto's Bontrager TT Wheels high above his head.

A leaping Alberto, trying as hard as he could, was not able to reach.

Staring down at Alberto, Lance crowed - "You want a wheelset? Pay me!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
C'mon, what is with this complaint by Alberto that he had to buy his own TT wheels at the 2009 TdF?

I remember when some top pros were enamored with the ADA Lightweight wheels and would spend their own money and sit on a waiting list that sometimes ballooned to many months.

Was Alberto asked to pay for Astana Team Issue wheels? That would be funny sorry.
Did he want some that were painted by a famous artist?
Were the wheels he wanted something like the ADA wheels?

In response, Contador held something else above Lance's head.

%20%20%20andy_schleck_alberto_contador_lance_armstrong_podium_paris.jpg

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
As I got curious by the "story" of Contador about his wheels, I got in touch accidently by a common friend with an italian pro and asked if he's true or not.
He said that indeed he wasn't treated that well and for example he ever got used tubulars instead of new ones as the rest of the team.

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Michele said:
As I got curious by the "story" of Contador about his wheels, I got in touch accidently by a common friend with an italian pro and asked if he's true or not.
He said that indeed he wasn't treated that well and for example he ever got used tubulars instead of new ones as the rest of the team.

That´s obvious, during the tour you could see that they treated him very bad.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Michele said:

I would prefer a used tubular over a new one. Brand new tires are just to slippery until broken in. I would never race on a brand new tire.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
L29205 said:
I would prefer a used tubular over a new one. Brand new tires are just to slippery until broken in. I would never race on a brand new tire.

pros at the TDF level get new tubes almost every day........tubulars are aged and cured by the dozens for grand tours.........these cured tires have never been ridden hence there are new and in some cases after being ridden 1 day are then replaced then on occasion reused at another event

TRENDING THREADS