• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Young riders to watch in 2011

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Haha, brilliant. Obviously I meant this Rafael Reis:

reis_jc.jpg

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
With the TDU behind us methinks Cam Meyer and Michael Matthews may have firmed in the betting! Durbridge, Docker and the Clarkes as well.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for posting a picture. It should be obvious (after my last post) That I have absolutely no idea who this guy is. I'm still struggling with google. I guess there's not much to read about him on the web, but if he jumps into a big race one day I will make sure I remember his name. Just in case this kiddo actually got what it takes.

Libertine Seguros said:
Haha, brilliant. Obviously I meant this Rafael Reis:

reis_jc.jpg

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Andy Fenn for me. Riding for AnPost.

His first races are the Tours of Qatar and Oman so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on. Hopefully he'll get some exposure to some minor classics with them as that's where his strengths lie (he's a former winner of the junior P-R).

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
Thanks for posting a picture. It should be obvious (after my last post) That I have absolutely no idea who this guy is. I'm still struggling with google. I guess there's not much to read about him on the web, but if he jumps into a big race one day I will make sure I remember his name. Just in case this kiddo actually got what it takes.

Kid looks like Contador with a helm on. Although he has a darker skin.

Rafael Reis is 18.

Reis won the Junior Olympic TT with an average speed of 48.6 km/h. He was 3rd in the Road Race.

He absolutely dominated the Portuguese junior calendar last year. He won the hilly national Junior championships last year by disappearing with 12.3km to go, and obliterated the competition, coming in 5 minutes ahead of the competition.

Maybe not a rider to watch in 2011 but this kid is going to be very very good somewhere down the line.

Libertine Seguros said:
Rafael Reis is 18.

Reis won the Junior Olympic TT with an average speed of 48.6 km/h. He was 3rd in the Road Race.

He absolutely dominated the Portuguese junior calendar last year. He won the hilly national Junior championships last year by disappearing with 12.3km to go, and obliterated the competition, coming in 5 minutes ahead of the competition.

Maybe not a rider to watch in 2011 but this kid is going to be very very good somewhere down the line.

indeed i have been hoping for that too

lets just hope he just doesn't become another portuguese talent that never leaves the national scene or that is just used as a bottle carrier in europe( like paulinho or azevedo or rui costa seems to be becoming)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
indeed i have been hoping for that too

lets just hope he just doesn't become another portuguese talent that never leaves the national scene or that is just used as a bottle carrier in europe( like paulinho or azevedo or rui costa seems to be becoming)

I don't think Paulinho's talent has been wasted. He just didn't have what it takes to be one of the best. Still a good cyclist though.

Ryo Hazuki said:
andy fenn?? there's like 50 of those type of riders with more talent

How can you tell? That's a serious question by the way.

The kid is 20 and has won the Junior Paris - Roubaix and is national U23 RR champion. That's the sort of youthful ability that could go in any direction as he gets older - he may end up considering himself lucky to have a career as a minor helper with a ProConti team or he might turn out to be something special. Admittedly, he's unlikely to show much either way in 2011.

Or at least that's how it seems to me from a distance. I'm fully willing to accept that I may be wrong. Do you have more knowledge of him?

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
How can you tell? That's a serious question by the way.

The kid is 20 and has won the Junior Paris - Roubaix and is national U23 RR champion. That's the sort of youthful ability that could go in any direction as he gets older - he may end up considering himself lucky to have a career as a minor helper with a ProConti team or he might turn out to be something special. Admittedly, he's unlikely to show much either way in 2011.

Or at least that's how it seems to me from a distance. I'm fully willing to accept that I may be wrong. Do you have more knowledge of him?

Ryo Hazuki has a massive chip on his shoulder when it comes to British riders so don't worry about him. He clearly knows all there is to know about every rider and how they'll develop in the future.

I don't know how Fenn will get on that's why it'll be interesting to see. He has done well in the Academy when they have raced in Belgium and Holland so I really see his strength in those type of races. Unfortunately for him, when they were based in Italy the races didn't suit him.

In a years time he might have developed significantly with the exposure to higher quality racing as Alex Dowsett did with Trek Livestrong. We shall have to wait and see.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
andy fenn?? there's like 50 of those type of riders with more talent

Fenn has the results to back it up though and is not just some random name that you think might be quite good that you've read about on Wikepedia or via Google search. The lad is a proven winner at European junior level on track and road.

The thing is he also has the guts to fight hard like he had to at National championships when most riders packed he plowed on to get his under 23 win, clearly you never saw that.

Libertine Seguros said:
Rafael Reis is 18.

Reis is definbetly one of the most talented junior-riders from 2010, and he looks set to have a great career. However Bob Jungels that dominated both the international stageraces and won the world championship time trial is clearly the most talented junior of this season. He was already in the picture for Leopard this season and will most likely join for 2012 and he is clearly destined for a great career.