• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your 10 favourite riders of all time

First off, ask the mods to rectify the thread name to ten:) And then maybe qualify what you mean e.g. in your lifetime?

Anyhoo, assuming that's what you meant, and showing my age (I don't have ten unfortunately tho) my personal favs are, again in no particular order after Millar:

Millar, Robert
Fignon
JF Bernard
Sastre
Schleck, Andy
Cunego
Contador
Ullrich

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Only riders I've seen:
Armstrong
Contador
Sagan
Vino
Pirazzi
Majka
Kwiatkowski
Betancur
Valverde
Gilbert

Some young riders could easily move into the list such as Alaphilippe but it's just too soon to know.

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
off my head I go with

Olaf Ludwig
Djamolidine Abduzhaparov
Thor Hushovd
Carlos Sastre
Jan Ullrich
Edvald Boasson Hagen
Jens Heppner
Alejandro Valverde
Jose Maria Jimenez
Joseba Beloki

Oscar Camenzind
Frank Vandenbroucke
Ángel Madrazo
Damiano Cunego
Vincenzo Nibali (wavering)
Taylor Phinney
Wilfried Nelissen
Georg Totschnig
Niki Aebersold
(Young) Davide Rebellin

Unsure about many of these. I was much quicker to pick favourites when I was a kid.

Completely subjective, the riders I liked most since watching from the early eighties:

1. Marco Pantani
2. Bernard Hinault
3. Fabian Cancellara
4. Sean Kelly
5. Greg Lemond
6. Eddy Planckaert
7. Pedro Delgado
8. Philippe Gilbert
9. Alberto Contador
10. Mario Cippolini

If Quintana destroys the field this week he'll enter this top 10, but I don't think it's going to happen.

TRENDING THREADS