• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your 10 favourite riders of all time

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Forever The Best said:
Red Rick said:
In no particular order

Tom Dumoulin
Johnny Hoogerland
Vincenzo Nibali
Alberto Contador
Mark Cavendish
Oscar Freire
Andy Schleck
Peter Sagan
Rafal Majka
Fabio Aru
:eek: :eek:
I thought you disliked him :confused:

I made fun of him, I criticised him, but in the end it was because I cared :cry:
Ah I understand.As another Andy fan it was a shame to see Andy go away like that.

Contador - Unpredictably, attacking, lovely to watch on a bike. Lovely to look at off it.

Long gap

Purito - such a sweetie. Perpetual nearly man and nice sense of humour
Sagan - talent, personality, charisma, sense of fun and excitement. Great team player despite being 'a superstar'. Somehow manages to be likeable despite all the fawning admiration. Possibly because the admiration is warranted.
Valverde - the *** Dastardly of cycling for me. Just love to hate the guy just for being, well, Valverde.
Dumoulin
Cancellara
Tossato (totally personal thing, since last year I saw the way he was with a middle aged man who clearly had some kind of special needs, and he was just utterly utterly lovely).

From previous years - Delgado, Elliot.

Cav comes on and off this and on and off the 'dislike' list in direct proportion to the column inches going on about how great he is.

May 26, 2012
Visit site
A.Valverde
Z.Štybar
J.Rodriguez
T.Dumoulin
C.Froome
R.Bardet
J.Alaphilippe
I.Basso
P.Salvodelli
P.Sagan (although i hated him when i was racing against him in junior categories :-D )

Riders I've seen (since 2006):
Dumoulin
Bettini
Contador
Samuel Sanchez
Jens Voigt
Nibali
LLS
Voeckler
Vino (love his racing style, but otherwise.. no thanks)
Sagan (also love his racing, but questionable character at least early on in his career, he's getting better)

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Freddy Maertens
Roger De Vlaeminck
Felice Gimondi
Gianbattista Baronchelli
Alejandro Valverde
Laurent Fignon
Alberto Contador
Djamolidine Abdoujaparov
Luis Herrera
and...
Alexander Vinokourov

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Contador, Nibali, Andy Schleck, Valverde, Anton, Bardet, Sagan,
Vino, Cunego, Tom Dumoulin, (J. Pantano - new addition maybe or Zakarin)

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
kenny van vlaminck
kenny van vlaminck
kenny van vlaminck
kenny van vlaminck
kenny van vlaminck
kenny van vlaminck
kenny van vlaminck
kenny van vlaminck
kenny van vlaminck
kenny van vlaminck

All riders that I have watched, in chronological order:

1. Eddy Merckx: still my all-time favorite. My grand-father and I were watching the finish of the '75 TdF on TV, and in '77, I was roadside and I saw him.

2. Raymond Poulidor: he was my grand-father's and all blue-collar French people's favorite. What a great champion he was. Allez Poupou!

3. Bernard Hinault: my best memory of him is sneaking in the shower room after the '81 Blois Chaville, got autographs from naked and shampooed Raas and Knetemann :D . Hinault saw me, fuming like "what is he doing here", scared the crap out of me. Then his face changed, he smiled and signed his picture on my magazine.

4. Fons De Wolf: in a magazine, I read an article titled "La Classe a l'Etat Pur", class in its purest expression, about a Belgian kid who after winning the GDL, had just won MSR. Along with Eddy and VDB, the best riding style, position on a bike that I have ever seen.

5. Greg LeMond: once Hinault said that he was going to help him in '86 and it didn't seem to be the case, like half of the French public, I began rooting for Greg. After his hunting accident, I became a big, big fan of Greg LeMond.

6. Evgeni Berzin: what he did to BigMig, and Pantani at the '94 Giro was incredible. His many attacks on the 4th Stage absolutely sick. Amazing.

7. Richard Virenque: yes, I liked his style from '94 to '97, not so much the jersey chasing post-ban, but what an entertainer. Paris-Tours '01.

8. Jan Ullrich: being a fat guy pushing big gears, it's easy to identify :D . And I was rooting for anyone who could possibly stop Armstrong.

9. Leonardo Piepoli: the '07 version was arguably the greatest climber in cycling history, with all the reservations an asterisks of course. But from a viewer standpoint, wow, great style, impressive. Giving away stages in the Giro: class act.

10. Thibaut Pinot: we're from the same neck of the woods, he comes across as a really good guy, and when he's on, he's one of the best riders in the World.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Tonton said:
All riders that I have watched, in chronological order:

1. Eddy Merckx: still my all-time favorite. My grand-father and I were watching the finish of the '75 TdF on TV, and in '77, I was roadside and I saw him.

2. Raymond Poulidor: he was my grand-father's and all blue-collar French people's favorite. What a great champion he was. Allez Poupou!

3. Bernard Hinault: my best memory of him is sneaking in the shower room after the '81 Blois Chaville, got autographs from naked and shampooed Raas and Knetemann :D . Hinault saw me, fuming like "what is he doing here", scared the crap out of me. Then his face changed, he smiled and signed his picture on my magazine.

4. Fons De Wolf: in a magazine, I read an article titled "La Classe a l'Etat Pur", class in its purest expression, about a Belgian kid who after winning the GDL, had just won MSR. Along with Eddy and VDB, the best riding style, position on a bike that I have ever seen.

5. Greg LeMond: once Hinault said that he was going to help him in '86 and it didn't seem to be the case, like half of the French public, I began rooting for Greg. After his hunting accident, I became a big, big fan of Greg LeMond.

6. Evgeni Berzin: what he did to BigMig, and Pantani at the '94 Giro was incredible. His many attacks on the 4th Stage absolutely sick. Amazing.

7. Richard Virenque: yes, I liked his style from '94 to '97, not so much the jersey chasing post-ban, but what an entertainer. Paris-Tours '01.

8. Jan Ullrich: being a fat guy pushing big gears, it's easy to identify :D . And I was rooting for anyone who could possibly stop Armstrong.

9. Leonardo Piepoli: the '07 version was arguably the greatest climber in cycling history, with all the reservations an asterisks of course. But from a viewer standpoint, wow, great style, impressive. Giving away stages in the Giro: class act.

10. Thibaut Pinot: we're from the same neck of the woods, he comes across as a really good guy, and when he's on, he's one of the best riders in the World.

A French-man that liked Eddy Merckx while he was still active? :eek:

My list (only cyclists who I saw racing myself)

- Contador
- Nibali
- Philippe Gilbert
- Tom Boonen
- Tim Wellens
- Paolo Savoldelli
- Paolo Bettini
- Franck Vandenbroucke
- Peter Sagan
- Greg van Avermaet

KGB

Apr 16, 2015