• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your dreamteam - GT's

As the topic says, if money wasent a issue. What would your ideal GT team look like. Try to keep it realistic, the chances of Schleck's riding as a dom for Contador is not likely to happen etc.

General scenario: Your sponsors want you to win as much as possible, and be as visible as possible.

GT scenario: A few TT's, several mountains as well as some flat stages(Basicly the rumored TDF 2013)

Feel free to use current active riders, as well as older ones.

Alpehue said:
As the topic says, if money wasent a issue. What would your ideal GT team look like. Try to keep it realistic, the chances of Schleck's riding as a dom for Contador is not likely to happen etc.

General scenario: Your sponsors want you to win as much as possible, and be as visible as possible.

GT scenario: A few TT's, several mountains as well as some flat stages(Basicly the rumored TDF 2013)

Try if possible to create a dreamteam of currently active riders, and consisting of currently active, as well as old riders.

IIRC There was a thread like this around last years' Tour (2011)

(All riders in their prime)

Directeur sportif: Rudy Pevenage

GC Rider: Jan Ullrich

"Free Joker Rider": Alexandre Vinokourov (Basically he can do whatever he feels like, attacking, go for stages, or GC, or everything)

Classic/Hills stage type rider: Matthias Kessler (Also a good helper in the mountains and a decent TTTler, too)

Mountain Helpers: Patrick Sinkewitz (Decent TTTler and flatstage rider, too)
Jörg Jacksche (Decent TTTler and flat stage rider,too)

Allround Helpers: Tony Martin (Superb in TTes, too, of course)
Jens Heppner (A very loyal helper who is useful
in all terrains)
Steffen Weseman (Particularly helpful if there should be
cobles, can support Zabel in finishes)

Sprinter: Erik Zabel: He can go for both stage wins, as well as the green
jersey, doesn't need a train and is very good in the
mountains for a sprinter.

the asian said:
IIRC There was a thread like this around last years' Tour (2011)

Ok then. As riders will depend on the parcours, I will pick one for the 2013 Tour

1.GT leader- A Contador

2.Super Dom/ Road Captain - I Basso

3.Mt Dom- N Quintana ( was impressed by his work for Valverde)

4.Dom/ Stage Hunter- LuLu Sanchez ( Can put in a shift at the front, helpful for TTT, can win a stage by getting in breakaways if needed, Spanish)

5.Flat Dom- Jonathan Castrovejo- (has impressed me doing Dom work, Good TT)

6.Flat Dom- F Cancellara ( To win the TT stages, to help in the TTT and to serve Contador as he served the Schlecks! Might neuter the stage if Bertie crashes)

7.Stage Hunter -Gilbert- to win the Hilly stages, Good for the TTT

8.Sprinter- Cavendish ( To win the Bunch sprints and Ofc to carry water bottles to Bertie)

9. Personal Bodyguard of the Team leader- Noval- ( To sleep with Bertie in his room, to make sure Bertie doesn't put on any extra weight, to fall on top of any rivals and hurt them)

DS- Rijs

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
It depends on the GT in question, but this one could work for the Tour

Voeckler
Rolland
Gilbert
Cancellara
Sagan
Voigt
Kern
2 additional domestiques

Voeckler & Rolland will be fighting each other for the leadership.

And if Voeckler gets leadership, Rolland will have to drag his *** up the mountains.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
(All riders in their prime)

Directeur sportif: Rudy Pevenage

GC Rider: Jan Ullrich

"Free Joker Rider": Alexandre Vinokourov (Basically he can do whatever he feels like, attacking, go for stages, or GC, or everything)

Classic/Hills stage type rider: Matthias Kessler (Also a good helper in the mountains and a decent TTTler, too)

Mountain Helpers: Patrick Sinkewitz (Decent TTTler and flatstage rider, too)
Jörg Jacksche (Decent TTTler and flat stage rider,too)

Allround Helpers: Tony Martin (Superb in TTes, too, of course)
Jens Heppner (A very loyal helper who is useful
in all terrains)
Steffen Weseman (Particularly helpful if there should be
cobles, can support Zabel in finishes)

Sprinter: Erik Zabel: He can go for both stage wins, as well as the green
jersey, doesn't need a train and is very good in the
mountains for a sprinter.

Euh you can use non-german riders or riders that haven't riden in a german team.

Talking about being biased, damn :eek:

EDIT: oh it's about your fav dreamteam. I thought it was about the best possible team you can assemble, my bad.

Only active riders here:

GC Leder: A Contador
Mountain train: Rogers - Van Garderen (Also for white jersey) - Moreno

Allround domestique: EBH, Cancellara, (Sylvain) Chavanel

Flat domestique: Terpstra

Green jersey: Sagan or mabye Degenkolb so you don't have to work too much on the flat stages.

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Does my team actually have to win anything?

Purito to contend for the GC and win MTF with his final kick.
Moreno as his faithful lieutenant. Contend for mtn stages, backup for GC.
Amets as mtn dom and at least one futile breakaway
Moncoutie to do his own thing, maybe go on a break on a mtn stage, contend for the Polka Dots
Spartacus to hold yellow for the first week, TTT and dom work later in the tour.
Jens cause he's awesome. Attacks whenever. Excellent dom work
Chavanel for breakaways, TTT
Sagan to win the punchier stages, contend for flat sprints and wear Green
Oscarito to freelance, win a few stages without a train, maybe steal the Green from his teammate

the asian said:
Ok then. As riders will depend on the parcours, I will pick one for the 2013 Tour

1.GT leader- A Contador

4.Dom/ Stage Hunter- LuLu Sanchez ( Can put in a shift at the front, helpful for TTT, can win a stage by getting in breakaways if needed, Spanish)

6.Flat Dom- F Cancellara ( To win the TT stages, to help in the TTT and to serve Contador as he served the Schlecks! Might neuter the stage if Bertie crashes)

8.Sprinter- Cavendish ( To win the Bunch sprints and Ofc to carry water bottles to Bertie)

9. Personal Bodyguard of the Team leader- Noval- ( To sleep with Bertie in his room, to make sure Bertie doesn't put on any extra weight, to fall on top of any rivals and hurt them)

DS- Rijs

I forgot about Quintana, might even put him on my team instead of kreuziger.

For me the most important value for a dream-team in a GT is loyalty. To have one clear leader and 8 doms. Not saying that the doms can't go for stages, but their first priority should be as a dom. This means that I won't just pick the strongest helpers, but the most loyal of the strong helpers.

Albert Contador: Leader

Fabian Cancellara: Protects AC on the flats, and a huge asset in TTT

Tony Martin: Dom for the flat and TTT. Can also pull in the bottom of the final mountain, but will of course blow up quickly :eek:

Sergio Henao: Dom for the Mountains. Have showed great loyalty and consistency.

Nairo Quintana: Same as Henao, though even more a beast.

Paolo Tiralongo: Great dom in general and a great friend of Alberto.

Maxime Monfort: All-round dom.

Sergio Paulinho: All-round dom.

Ian Stannard: Flat dom.

Netserk said:
For me the most important value for a dream-team in a GT is loyalty. To have one clear leader and 8 doms. Not saying that the doms can't go for stages, but their first priority should be as a dom. This means that I won't just pick the strongest helpers, but the most loyal of the strong helpers.

Albert Contador: Leader

Fabian Cancellara: Protects AC on the flats, and a huge asset in TTT

Tony Martin: Dom for the flat and TTT. Can also pull in the bottom of the final mountain, but will of course blow up quickly :eek:

Sergio Henao: Dom for the Mountains. Have showed great loyalty and consistency.

Nairo Quintana: Same as Henao, though even more a beast.

Paolo Tiralongo: Great dom in general and a great friend of Alberto.

Maxime Monfort: All-round dom.

Sergio Paulinho: All-round dom.

Ian Stannard: Flat dom.

Then Noval will certainly have to be there.:D

And Stannard to help Bertie:confused:

He'll be more like Sky's secret agent.

the asian said:

1.GT leader- A Contador

DS- Rijs

Are you kidding me :D I would take Jesus instead of Noval (although he won't hurt people when he falls on top of them)

TRENDING THREADS