• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your Five Moments of 2009

A

Anonymous

My top five of 2009.. yeh, ok, british biased but these where my moments that made me happy, or sad...

1) Cavendish winning San Remo - Amazing Moment
2) The news of Frank Vandenbrouckes Death
3) Dave Millar missing out on Stage 6 of the tour
4) Geraints pursuit rides in Manchester
5) Thomas De Ghents continued daily attacks in the ToB

almost made it: The womens team pursuit world record in manchester, the pelaton split in the wind that started the AC LA fun.. and the wife managing her first 75km day

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
My top five of 2009.. yeh, ok, british biased but these where my moments that made me happy, or sad...

1) Cavendish winning San Remo - Amazing Moment
2) The news of Frank Vandenbrouckes Death
3) Dave Millar missing out on Stage 6 of the tour
4) Geraints pursuit rides in Manchester
5) Thomas De Ghents continued daily attacks in the ToB

almost made it: The womens team pursuit world record in manchester, the pelaton split in the wind that started the AC LA fun..

1) You and I agree. Cav winning Milano-Sanremo. Perhaps the most exciting finish all year.
2) Lance rolling down the start ramp at the Tour. Yeah, I lke him. What of it?
3) Contador's Verbier climb. How could a cyclist not appreciate that?
4) Menchov's **** on the cobbles. My most heart-pounding moment.
5) Haussler's emotional win at stage 13. When I saw him tearing up, I teared up.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I'll include on the bike and off the bike moments, good and bad.

1. Me on the SS mtn bike pulling two kids around the countryside in the chariot. The lovely missus on the SS roadie. Best days on the bike this year. Probably not in anyone else's top 5, but if you saw the missus in bike shorts you might change your mind. :D

2. Cavendish winning MSR. To not only get over the climbs but to unleash an unholy sprint to pip Haussler at the line - what a moment.

3. Lance Armstrong's behaviour at the TDF. Unfortunately, LA's behaviour overshadowed what I consider a truly impressive performance. Instead of discussing a 37 year old reaching the podium after a 3 year layoff, we were discussing his feud with his team leader, his treatment of the media, his twittering, his announcement of a new team timed to divert attention from Contador's victory. Sad.

4. Cadel's WC victory. After missing his shot at winning the Vuelta with that horrible tire change, it was nice to see Cadel get such a big win.

5. Haussler's solo victory in TDF. Because it was a hard day in bad weather, because it got us talking about the bike race instead of the diversions, and because this man so deserved a big victory after so many close seconds.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Thems are some good ones you guys mentioned.

1. Toom Boonen wins Paris-Roubaix for a third time!
2. Haussler misses out on MSR by the width of a tire
3. Cadel Evans loses the Vuelta with the tire change
4. Philippe Gilbert wins Lombardia
5. Contador F---'s up Kloden's podium chances (idiot!) at the tour

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
1. The finish of MSR.
2. Evans winning the WC.
3. The break on the windy stage in the TDF... not so much because of Lance gaining time but rather how it was a "F-U" from Columbia to the rest of the sprint teams for not helping pull back the breaks.
4. Cancellera's big pull at the base of one of the later mountain stages (can't remember which one). He put in a turn and DECIMATED the pelaton... then was so wasted that he was (as Ligett put it) "pedaling backwards". One of the most impressive shows of power from a non-climber I've seen in a mountain stage.
5. Di Luca's constant attacks up Vesuvius, and Menchov calmly countering each one. Sure, he's a doper, but he really animated the Giro last year and made it more enjoyable to watch. He seemed to try at least 7 or 8 accelerations up that climb, but couldn't do it.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Andy Schleck's LBL attack and win.
The duel between DiLuca and Menchov at this year Giro.
Cadel Evans winning the WC.
The last 15 km of Paris-Roubaix
Heinrich Haussler's breakout season.

1. Turning on the television to see Thor Hushovd fighting gravity in a solo breakaway over two 1. cat climbs with 6 minutes on the peloton.
2. Andy Schleck winning LBL.
3. Mark Cavendish crossing the line in stage 13 at 147. place or so, 30 minutes behind, seemingly thinking he was still the leader in the points competition, only to notice that Thor Hushovd got 6. and had taken it.
4. Jens Voigt's fall in Tour de France. Definitely my favorite rider, seeing him fall like that was extremely scary.
5. Cancellara's aggressive riding in Mendrisio. That was just powerful, a shame he didn't win it. Luckily, someone who deserved it even more ended up winning.

A

Anonymous

1) Cadel's WC winning move
2) Contador's Verbier assault to setup tour win
3) Boonens Roubaix 20k charge to win
4) Menchov's Giro 60km TT win
5) Cancelllara's WC TT dominance

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Menchov's first TT in the Giro - innovative parcours, breathtaking ride
Boonen imperious in Paris-Roubaix
Sicard pulling off the U23 win in fine style
Pooley coming out of Cooke's shadow to take the GBF
Contador's rapturous reception in Spain post TdF
(number 6 will be seeing my little boy's face when he gets the green ridgeback that he wants for Christmas)

1. Hendy's stage 3 win at the Vuelta
2. Cancellara showboating the last 300m of the World's TT
3. Pedro Horillo's horror crash at the Giro
4. Theo Bos flinging Daryl Impey into the barriers at the Tour of Turkey
5. Thor Hushovd going points hunting to prove a point to Cav on stage 17 of the Tour.

In no particular order, just great moments i remember off the top of my head:

- The finish at Milan San-Remo
- Cancellara's decent at the tdf, then stopping because his wheels didn't match.
- Cadel Evans winning the Worlds.
- Kenny Van Hummels grit, determination and willingness to haul himself over every mountain stage in the tdf, only to have to do it again the next day.
- Cadel Evans' wheel change at the Vuelta. It was a race changing moment.

The moments that got me most excited:

1. Contador getting dropped in Paris-Nice
2. The finish of MSR
3. Flecha and then Hushovd's crashes in P-R
4. Evans' puncture at the Vuelta
5. The last 20km of Stage 14 of the Tour (Ivanov won) - constant, constant attacks and cat-and-mouse from a large breakaway group. (sidenote on that one - my friend and I were on a bike trip, on our way to Verbier, and stopped at the top of the Grand St. Bernard to watch on TV, delirious and freezing from the climb. The excitement of the stage helped bring us back to life for sure)

1. Contador beating Lance in spite of the psyche war against him.
2. Hushovd crashing away his chance to challenge Boonen for the win in Roubaix.
3. Lövkvist in pink in the Giro, first swede in a leaders jersey in 26 years.
4. EBH in the Giro.
5. Hushovd's point collecting in the mountains in the Tour.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
1. Haussler's TdF stage win
2. Evans World's win
3. Gerran's win at the Giro
4. Feilleu the younger at Arcarlis
5. CyclingNews screwing up the website (bummer because it sucks, but a plus because it got me hooked into the forum)

1-3 may show just a little national bias, if it was a top ten I'd show a bit more balance and would add Moncoutie at la Vuelta, Pellizotti at the Giro, Hushvold's mountain escapade at le Tour, Gilbert Paris-Tours and MSR finale.

Find it hard to write classics into my top five, but maybe it's because I generally follow classics retrospectively using text updates and Youtube downloads so don't have the same emotional attachment as watching the Grand Tours live(-ish).

1. The tactics of the Australian team and the finishing of Evans at the WC. Not an Evans fan but max respect.

2. Hushovd showing that there's more than one way to win the green. His rampage through the Sallanches valley was awesome.

3. Paris-Roubaix. The last 15-20km was pure drama. If only every race was that exciting.

4. Gilbert and Silence-Lotto finally getting their act together at Lombardia. If Evans didn't leave they would probably be THE team to beat next spring, especially in the Ardennes.

5. Lance Armstrong getting more suspicion thrown at him thanks to his dodgy blood values at the TDF :)

-Erwin Vervecken resisting Stybar's chase to win Roubaix cyclocross at age 36
-Paris-Roubaix, for the whole race. Every year it's the best road race.
-Niels Albert's attacks during the 4th stage Fléron-Fléron of the Tour of Belgium and the whole stage was so great actually.
-Namur cyclocross, cos' I was there.
-The news of Frederiek Nolf's death. :(

-Deignan, Roche, Martin, the arrival of the 'new' Irish generation with Deignans Vuelta stage win being the highlight

-Paris-Roubaix, the best one day race and so much happened the last 20km this year

-I saw the stage at Paris-Nice when Contador blew and it was amazing to see it happening.

-My national Tour being shortened to 3 days because of one rider. Major BS, what a message for pro cycling.

-Contador riding through all the BS at the Tour to take the victory and show himself to be a worthy champion.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
5. Thor Hushovd going points hunting to prove a point to Cav on stage 17 of the Tour.

The point being that Thor needed those points and a Cav relegation in order to win the jersey since he couldn't beat him in a head to head sprint?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I have a problem with memory nowadays, so only 2 things really stand out when I look back on 09 that I think will stay in my mishappen noggin; Lance coming back to the tour and getting 3rd; Hincappie just missing out on yellow by a few seconds, his dismay and sense of beytrayal by former colleges. The rest is just fluff.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
-Omloop Het Volk
Rabobank setting things on fire on the Taaienberg. Rabobank making the most stupid move in this year of cycling by chasing Langeveld. Haussler showing this was gonna be his season. The fall in the last KM.... Best race of the year IMO.

-Stage 3 Paris-Nice
Waaiers!
Again Rabo blowing up the peloton with +50km to go, Contador jumping from group to group, Chavanel outclassing a majority of Rabos at the line. Great stage.

-Paris - Roubaix
Awesome race this year.
Boonen will get his 4th.

-Luik - Bastenaken - Luik
Andy Schleck all the way. Saxo put in the best team performance of this year in this race.

-Kai Reus' stage win in the Tour of Britain
Great to see him back after a few horrible years.

The worst part was Nolf dying in Qatar.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
The point being that Thor needed those points and a Cav relegation in order to win the jersey since he couldn't beat him in a head to head sprint?

The point being that the green jersey is about points, not the rider who wins the most stages. The rider who is the most consistent wins the green jersey. The relegation was bad luck, but $hit happens. Just ask Robbie McEwen.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
1. Evans winning the World Championship

2. Boonen winning his third Paris-Roubaix

3. Hushovd winning the TdF green jersey in the Sallanches Valley

4. The Giro battle between Menchov and DiLuca

5. The Cavendish-Haussler showdown at Milan-San Remo

TRENDING THREADS