• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your local weather

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just an update. Got home today and other than our stereo system not working properly (no idea why) everything needs to be in good shape. A few smaller branches from a tree landed on our storage shed. That appears to be the extent of the damage. All our other electronics are working fine, including the lamp I had left on. Just strange with the stereo, which was off when I left.

Just an update. Got home today and other than our stereo system not working properly (no idea why) everything needs to be in good shape. A few smaller branches from a tree landed on our storage shed. That appears to be the extent of the damage. All our other electronics are working fine, including the lamp I had left on. Just strange with the stereo, which was off when I left.
That's great to hear, Koronin!

Glad your property is still in order, except for that stereo system, of course. What a bizarre thing... might have been some miscommunication between the storm and the microchips in it. Or some such.

That's great to hear, Koronin!

Glad your property is still in order, except for that stereo system, of course. What a bizarre thing... might have been some miscommunication between the storm and the microchips in it. Or some such.

Thank you. Yeah, that one is really odd. It didn't affect any of the other electronics. Heck the DVR has all the Vuelta stages on it ready for me to watch.

My PWS just crossed the 250 mm mark for this month rain accumulation and we are just at the 17th day of the month, since 1812 here only 6 other times november had more than 250 mm of rain and the 1812-2007 average rain for november is 103 mm.

The situation is really critical at the moment with a lot of minor flooding, almost every river above the first or even the second alert level and the dams that need to be opened because of the reservoirs are at their limit. I have really bad feeling, especially for the southern Tuscany, considering that we are under torrential rain.

• Wow
Reactions: Koronin
First light situation here, there are evacuations in the Valdarno Superiore at the moment, the flood wave should hit the peak in the early afternoon and then go down a bit thanks to a brief pause of rain until the night.

R7YA92X.jpg

• Wow
Meanwhile South Tyrol has been hit by 3 Snowstorms in 5 days, nearly all the lateral valleys have been cut off at some point and over 10,000 people were without electricity multiple times. Today nearly all the main roads and train lines towards Austria have been blocked once again, I had to delay my voyage to Vienna for one week. Meanwhile this happened in Martell, an avalanche went right through the village:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkfh3N7b63c

• Wow
The pretty low snow level (last night was around 500 meters in the Appennines north to the city, locally even lower on Emilia side) is what save us from being submerged a la Venice, all the snow that falls is water that doesn't flood down from the mountains.

Anyway rain has started again after a brief pause this afternoon/evening but until are light showers it's not a problem.

Brrrrrr... it's an icy, foggy 28F here right now, am going to the local Turkey Trot in a bit. Am not going to actually run it because I'm not trained at all, but I will at least cheer on the five people who show up at the start line who will run it. And then I will promptly go back home.

Gobble gobble, mfers!

Two months, four days with rain. Crazy times. Climate change is really, really affecting the weather here in W-Europe. All kinds of all-time records are broken here every year. Super-drought summer 2018, > 40 °C summer 2019, no winter 2020 followed by clear skies for weeks on end spring 2020. Blocked atmosphere is the new normal, making weather more extreme, less average. The same blocked situation that is causing the drought here, is causing a very wet spring in much of Spain for instance, and masses of snow in the Norwegian mountains.

Two months, four days with rain. Crazy times. Climate change is really, really affecting the weather here in W-Europe. All kinds of all-time records are broken here every year. Super-drought summer 2018, > 40 °C summer 2019, no winter 2020 followed by clear skies for weeks on end spring 2020. Blocked atmosphere is the new normal, making weather more extreme, less average. The same blocked situation that is causing the drought here, is causing a very wet spring in much of Spain for instance, and masses of snow in the Norwegian mountains.

It's rather cold around here and not to dry, but my parents (living close to the Netherlands) have had to start watering the garden in April. Absolutely crazy. The last two summers I was supposed to look after the garden a bit and work the rest of the time, while they were on holidays. I started the day with a shower, spent it hanging half-dead on the couch, watching the Tour, and when it cooled down a little I went out and watered the garden for four hours. When it got dark I stopped, took a shower, went to bed... In a region which has been known for drizzling rain throughout the year. It's actually scary. So I'm embracing the clouds here in the past days. But I'm preparing for a long, hot, dry summer and bad looking trees.

Another round:
mid 90s yesterday, mid 60s today and hours of torrential rain. The thunder this morning was unreal!

Our average June precip is .69", and we are expected to get .50 today and then again tomorrow. That will put us over 3" for the month (only half way through the month), and half way to our YEARLY average of 6.5!

TRENDING THREADS