• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Youth CQ Ranking Game 2015

Welcome to the third annual Youth CQ Ranking Manager Game. This game allows you to showcase your knowledge of upcoming youngsters, and hopefully take a gamble on a couple of really young riders.

Your task is to create a team with 12-15 riders at 1000 CQ points to get the best possible return.

1. How the game works

1.1. Duration
The season starts when the first race is held (Australian Road Cycling Championships 7th-11th January 2015) and ends when the last major race (.1 or higher) is held. The winner will be crowned when the next update after the last major race (x.1) is out - submissions can be made to extend the season to include late season smaller races, should there be potential for them to affect the top placings. A victor can be declared earlier if there is no prospect of the leader being overhauled.

1.2. Updates
I will struggle to post updates every week in the 2015 game, but will post them at least monthly. If anyone is interested in helping post other updates let me know.

2. On doping

Hopefully doping will have much less of an impact on this game, but the Main game rules will apply

3.Submitting your team

3.1. How do I?
You pick between 12 and 15 riders whose combined value doesn’t exceed 1000 points and send the list to the YouthCQ account (see post below).

3.2. Eligibility
Riders need to fit one of the following two main criteria
i) be a first year professional rider (of any age), be it at World Tour or Professional Continental team.
ii) be riding at Continental level or lower, born in 1990 or younger, without having previously ridden as a professional.

For clarity, riders should not have already ridden a full year as a professional at either World Tour or Professional Continental level – riding as a stagiaire does not prevent selection. Riders who have signed their first pro contract in August (or later), are consider for the purposes of this game as no different from stagiaire riders. EDIT this rule makes Louis Veraeke ineligible as he signed for Lotto in July 2014.

Players of the game are strongly encouraged to include at least two riders from 1993 or younger who will ride at ProConti level (ie eligible for u23 world champs) or lower and one rider from 1993 or younger who will ride at Continental level or lower (ie will be riding x.2, x.2u, x.NC races).

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Notes on submitting teams
As I have to manually add the teams to the spreadsheet, please be careful that you send your team to YouthCQ account based on the correct criteria.
The layout you need to use is this:

CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto
POZZATO Filippo
Etc.

Nothing else. No points after the name. Also, be careful that there are no “space” after the name, because I will have to delete it manually. Please also rank your team from highest points to lowest.

To make things easier for both you and me I have created a file (see attachment) in which you can cut and paste the riders into your team and it will automatically show you the value of each rider (as long as you delete the space) as well as the aggregated value of your team. Then you will just have to copy your team directly from this file and send it to me by PM. Hopefully this avoids any misunderstandings of a rider’s value as well as reduces the number of errors made in a team sent to me. CQ can also change the exact spelling or use of accents, which can prevent points being pulled through.

When do I?

Deadline is 9PM (CET) January 5th 2014.

Create your Youth CQ team File

Please feel free to PM me with any riders who you want to check their eligibility.

Unfortunately I have less time to put into the game this time around so apologies for the late posting of the thread. I also havent had chance to put a team together myself - so if people are wary of me stealing their ideas it might be worth holding off for a few days before submitting their team.

I will also probably be slower in acknowledging team submissions and checking eligibility so late submission really need to be accurate ones. I will have less chance to promote the game this year too - so I really appreciate returning players submitting teams and if anyone wants to push the game elsewhere go for it.

thanks for all the entries so far. I have now submitted my own team to JSG.

Lagging a bit behind last year in terms of number of teams so far (last year half the number of the main game, currently at about a third)
but will hopefully pick up between now and the deadline/

mc_mountain said:

3.2. Eligibility
Riders need to fit one of the following two main criteria
i) be a first year professional rider (of any age), be it at World Tour or Professional Continental team.
ii) be riding at Continental level or lower, born in 1990 or younger, without having previously ridden as a professional.

For clarity, riders should not have already ridden a full year as a professional at either World Tour or Professional Continental level – riding as a stagiaire does not prevent selection. Riders who have signed their first pro contract in August (or later), are consider for the purposes of this game as no different from stagiaire riders. EDIT this rule makes Louis Veraeke ineligible as he signed for Lotto in July 2014.
I'm confused: July to December is a full year, but August to December is not?
Riders who have twice done August-December stints have not ridden a full year as a pro: are they eligible?

Armchair cyclist said:
I'm confused: July to December is a full year, but August to December is not?

If I understand it correctly, full year or not full year is not what is important in this case. Neo-pro contracts are often signed as of August, so there is this special clarification of what is meant under "first-year pro" rule so that they can still be considered as neo-pro in the next year.
But August is the limit, therefore signing earlier means he is no longer neo-pro next year.

Armchair cyclist said:
Riders who have twice done August-December stints have not ridden a full year as a pro: are they eligible?

I would say they are. Anyway I assume the first time they rode as stagaires so that does not count against their eligibility at all.

PeterB has it correct.

Its an arbitrary distinction, but I think there needs to be one. for example Beltran signed in March for Tinkoff, so this to me clearly counts as a full year for the purposes of the game. The distinction between July and August, that knocks out Veraeke, is one that I have settled on due August being when stagiaires start.

As for twice stagiaires riders, these riders are allowed. its semantics but as you say they wouldn't have ridden a year (or 2x half years) as a pro but a year with the pros.

I hope that helps.

One other semantic question

"strongly encouraged" to include a 1993+ continental rider etc. How is this to be interpreted exactly?

If its ill looked upon not to include these riders, wouldn't it be better to make this selection mandatory? Too late now, but maybe in future editions.

I have been planning to include the 3 riders partly due to the mentioned strong encourament, but theoreticaly it would be a bit annoying if other gains a advantage by not feeling a need to do so.

No matter what, looking forward to participate and will send a team before deadline

thanks for your thoughts MADRAZO.

I think I am relatively happy with the wording of that section.

In terms of how to interpret it - I dont check that teams fit this criteria (and to do so in future editions could be time consuming) - so it is entirely up to the player. I also dont think adhering to it is particularly restrictive or should necessarily make a team less competitive. Without considering this advice at all when I selected my team I have 4/5 pro conti riders and 2 conti riders that meet the criteria. Of the two italian riders you selected in the 2013 edition of this game who was better value the WT one or the ProConti for example.

The aim is to encourage people to find the next Herklotz or Van Der Poel or Grosu rather than pick a cheap WT neo who scores only 30 points for finishing WT races and also in the hope that the u23 races have an impact on the game.

mc_mountain said:
thanks for your thoughts MADRAZO.

I think I am relatively happy with the wording of that section.

In terms of how to interpret it - I dont check that teams fit this criteria (and to do so in future editions could be time consuming) - so it is entirely up to the player. I also dont think adhering to it is particularly restrictive or should necessarily make a team less competitive. Without considering this advice at all when I selected my team I have 4/5 pro conti riders and 2 conti riders that meet the criteria. Of the two italian riders you selected in the 2013 edition of this game who was better value the WT one or the ProConti for example.

The aim is to encourage people to find the next Herklotz or Van Der Poel or Grosu rather than pick a cheap WT neo who scores only 30 points for finishing WT races and also in the hope that the u23 races have an impact on the game.

Fair enough, and sure you are correct that there are also many possibilities with the pro continental and continental riders so the theoretical advantage of not having to pick them is not very big, and as you say maybe even feeling a need to add a young continental rider will lead to an advantage in the end over those that doesn't follow the strong encouragement and thus likely makes less research with those riders.

In with a team made in 15 minutes while still matching the criterias "Players of the game are strongly encouraged to include at least two riders from 1993 or younger who will ride at ProConti level (ie eligible for u23 world champs) or lower and one rider from 1993 or younger who will ride at Continental level or lower (ie will be riding x.2, x.2u, x.NC races)" :cool:

My team mainly consists of riders from my "main game" team, so it wasn't actually that hard to create a team. That said, I put in a rider I've never ever heard of and whom I randomly picked to fulfill the continental level criteria :D

fauniera said:
Is it too late to submit a team? Why is the deadline on Jan. 5th when the first race is on Jan. 7th?

if you are quick i'll accept the team.

the deadline for this game is based on the deadline for the main game. The main game needs some leeway before the first race because of the amount of teams. if the deadline for this game is after the main game teams are revealed, it would be easy to see who the popular young riders were.

here is the spreadsheet

and here with teams ranked for age and popularity

Riders by Popularity

EWAN Caleb 37
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel 29
TEUNS Dylan 24
ENGER Sondre Holst 23
LATOUR Pierre-Roger 23
BOUDAT Thomas 19
KÜNG Stefan 18
MANZIN Lorenzo 18
MARECZKO Jakub 17
CHEVRIER Clément 15
TURGIS Anthony 13
FILOSI Iuri 12
GEOGHEGAN HART Tao 12
VAN DER HAAR Lars 12
KOSHEVOY Ilia 11
MCLAY Daniel 11
ANDREETTA Simone 10
MARINI Nicolas 10
BOUHANNI Rayane 9
CARBEL SVENDGAARD Michael 9
FOLIFOROV Alexander 9
GROENEWEGEN Dylan 9
LUDVIGSSON Fredrik 9
ZURLO Federico 9
EIKING Odd Christian 8
FLAKEMORE Campbell 8
PIBERNIK Luka 8
QUAADE Rasmus Christian 8
SARREAU Marc 8
TEUNISSEN Mike 8
BENOOT Tiesj 7
JAUREGUI Quentin 7
LE GAC Olivier 7
SKJERPING Kristoffer 7
PEDERSEN Mads 6
RAMIREZ CHACON Brayan Stiven 6
SOLER GIMENEZ Marc 6
LEDANOIS Kevin 5
LOOIJ André 5
BUCHMANN Emanuel 4
CORT NIELSEN Magnus 4
KÄMNA Lennard 4
OOMEN Sam 4
POWER Robert 4
PUTT Tanner 4
SENNI Manuel 4
WALLAYS Jens 4
BYSTRØM Sven Erik 3
ROOSEN Timo 3
VAN DER POEL Mathieu 3
VLIEGEN Loïc 3
ZEPUNTKE Ruben 3
ARSLANOV Ildar 2
BARBERO CUESTA Carlos 2
BAUHAUS Phil 2
BENITO DIEZ Miguel Angel 2
BERLATO Giacomo 2
BERTAZZO Liam 2
CHETOUT Loïc 2
CICCONE Giulio 2
DE TIER Floris 2
DENZ Nico 2
GOGL Michael 2
GROSSSCHARTNER Felix 2
HAVIK Piotr 2
HIRT Jan 2
HNIK Karel 2
KIRSCH Alex 2
KONRAD Patrick 2
LATON Eryk 2
LUNKE Sindre Skjølstad 2
MENUT David 2
MOSCON Gianni 2
MULLEN Ryan 2
NAESEN Oliver 2
PRADES REVERTER Eduard 2
SEYNAEVE Lander 2
SIMION Paolo 2
STERBINI Simone 2
SWIRBUL Keegan 2
WISNIOWSKI Lukasz 2
ALAPHILIPPE Bryan 1
ARCHBOLD Shane 1
BOHORQUEZ SANCHEZ Hernando 1
BOKELOH Jonas 1
BOSMAN Patrick 1
BUDDING Martijn 1
CAM Maxime 1
CAPIOT Amaury 1
CARDIS Romain 1
CARTHY Hugh 1
CHAPARRO LOPEZ Didier Alonso 1
CHEVALIER Olivier 1
DAVIES Scott 1
DAVISON Luke 1
DIETEREN Jan 1
DOULL Owain 1
DROBISCH Till 1
EBSEN John Kronborg 1
ESTEVEZ SALAS Imanol 1
EVTUSHENKO Alexander 1
FAGLUM KARLSSON Marcus 1
GADAY OROZCO Lucas Manuel 1
GASPARRINI Rino 1
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando 1
GIBSON Matthew 1
GIMENEZ NUÑEZ Carlos Alberto 1
GIRDLESTONE Dylan 1
GROEN Ike 1
HERKLOTZ Silvio 1
HERNANDEZ JARAMILLO Jose Tito 1
HOELGAARD Markus 1
JONES Brenton 1
KERKHOF Tim 1
KERRISON Jesse 1
KLARIS Magnus Bak 1
KOZHATAYEV Bakhtiyar 1
LAMMERTINK Steven 1
LEVEAU Jérémy 1
LOVELOCK-FAY Mitchell 1
MARTIN Guillaume 1
MARTINELLI Davide 1
MAS NICOLAU Enric 1
MASNADA Fausto 1
MCCONNELL Daniel 1
MÜHLBERGER Gregor 1
NYCH Artem 1
ORAM James 1
ÖRKEN Ahmet 1
OTONICAR Martin 1
PETERS ALEX 1
PETILLI Simone 1
POLITT Nils 1
REIS Rafael Ferreira 1
RIIS Thomas Nybo 1
SCHACHMANN Maximilian 1
SHAW James 1
SPENGLER Lukas 1
SPOKES Sam 1
STERBINI Luca 1
STOSZ Patryk 1
TENBROCK Jonas 1
TUREK Daniel 1
VAN AERT Wout 1
VAN LERBERGHE Bert 1
VILELA Ricardo Augusto Afonso 1

Unique Riders per team

ray200 5
del1962 4
Flo 4
Geraint_Too_Fast 4
ingsve 4
the_fool_on_the_hill 4
ansimi 3
Arb 3
Josedin 3
JustSomeGuy 3
Oliveira 3
18_Valve 2
al_pacino 2
fauniera 2
karaev 2
Leadbelly 2
search 2
Arekw77 1
Armchair_cyclist 1
Comodoro 1
EvansIsTheBest 1
Froome_19 1
hilltopfinsiher 1
Hugo_Koblet 1
Jpettersen 1
MADRAZO 1
mc_mountain 1
PeterB 1
Reno 1
skidmark 1

wow, many diverse picks after all, I was afraid my team will be more common, that's a good sign, the game will be more interesting.

I completely neglected that Quaade is eligible for the game. I have him for the main game but he has been around already for so long that I just did not think of him as a neo-pro... He will be a good pick for sure.

Hmmm... bit confusing when the opening post says: The season starts when the first race is held (Australian Road Cycling Championships 7th-11th January 2015)

I also thought 7-1 would be the deadline.... :mad:

My team would have been:

PRADES REVERTER Eduard
TEUNS Dylan
ZEPUNTKE Ruben
EWAN Caleb
BUCHMANN Emanuel
LATOUR Pierre-Roger
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel
PIBERNIK Luka
BOUDAT Thomas
MCLAY Daniel
ZURLO Federico
MANZIN Lorenzo
MARECZKO Jakub
KLARIS Magnus Bak
BOUHANNI Rayane

Hopefully I can still join....

Ruvu75 said:
Hmmm... bit confusing when the opening post says: The season starts when the first race is held (Australian Road Cycling Championships 7th-11th January 2015)

I also thought 7-1 would be the deadline.... :mad:

My team would have been:

PRADES REVERTER Eduard
TEUNS Dylan
ZEPUNTKE Ruben
EWAN Caleb
BUCHMANN Emanuel
LATOUR Pierre-Roger
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel
PIBERNIK Luka
BOUDAT Thomas
MCLAY Daniel
ZURLO Federico
MANZIN Lorenzo
MARECZKO Jakub
KLARIS Magnus Bak
BOUHANNI Rayane

Hopefully I can still join....

Unless there are any strong objections from others I am happy to include your team in the spreadsheet. it might be worth stating whether or not you looked at the spreadsheet of teams (i'm sure you havent, but would be worth saying so)

Sorry if you thought the deadline details werent clear. I'm not sure its particularly unusual that a competition has both a start date and an earlier date by which you need to register - imagine if an Aussie TTer just turned up this week expecting to race without completing a registration process. In my defence the deadline is clearly stated in the thread and the section you quote from has the subheading 'duration'.

mc_mountain said:
Unless there are any strong objections from others I am happy to include your team in the spreadsheet. it might be worth stating whether or not you looked at the spreadsheet of teams (i'm sure you havent, but would be worth saying so)

Sorry if you thought the deadline details werent clear. I'm not sure its particularly unusual that a competition has both a start date and an earlier date by which you need to register - imagine if an Aussie TTer just turned up this week expecting to race without completing a registration process. In my defence the deadline is clearly stated in the thread and the section you quote from has the subheading 'duration'.

I have no objection to him joining the game at all.

No need to defend yourself, it's all my fault...

No, I did not look at the sheet.... I didn't even know it existed. Never looked further than the opening post :) I even PM'd you to ask the exact deadline for the game in CET this morning to see how much time I had left today

While busy reading how to send in my team, I saw it had to be sent to the YouthCQ account. And thats when I discovered the 5/1 deadline. So then I replied asap to the topic with my team :)

TRENDING THREADS