• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Youth CQ Ranking Game 2017

Hello fellow CN Forumites, welcome to the fifth annual Youth CQ Ranking Manager Game. This game allows you to showcase your knowledge of upcoming youngsters, and hopefully take a gamble on a couple of really young riders.
Originally this game was invented by mc_mountain, based on Hugo Koblet's CQ Ranking Manager Game, but I am organizing it this year.

Your task is to create a team with 12-15 riders at 1000 CQ points to get the best possible return.

1. How the game works

1.1. Duration
The season starts when the first race is held (Australian Road Cycling Championships ITT 5 January 2017) and ends when the last major race (.1 or higher) is held. The winner will be crowned when the next update after the last major race (x.1) is out - submissions can be made to extend the season to include late season smaller races, should there be potential for them to affect the top placings. A victor can be declared earlier if there is no prospect of the leader being overhauled.

1.2. Updates
My aim is to have an update every 2 weeks. I would greatly appreciate some help from other participants. If you are interested in doing an update every now and then, let me know via PM! :)

2. On doping
Hopefully doping will have much less of an impact on this game, but the Main game rules will apply.

3.Submitting your team

3.1. How do I?
You pick between 12 and 15 riders whose combined value doesn’t exceed 1000 points and submit your team to me via PM (either on CN forum or on Velorooms forum). Please be sure to use the naming format as found on cqranking.com and only send me your riders' names, not their scores etc.

3.2. Eligibility
Riders need to fit one of the following two main criteria
i) be a first year professional rider (of any age), be it at World Tour or Professional Continental team.
ii) be riding at Continental level or lower, born in 1992 or younger, without having previously ridden as a professional.

For clarity, riders should not have already ridden a full year as a professional at either World Tour or Professional Continental level – riding as a stagiaire does not prevent selection. Riders who have signed their first pro contract in August (or later), are considered for the purposes of this game as no different from stagiaire riders.

Players of the game are encouraged to include at least two riders from 1995 or younger who will ride at ProConti level (ie eligible for u23 world champs) or lower and one rider from 1995 or younger who will ride at Continental level or lower (ie will be riding x.2, x.2u, x.NC races). NB: this is entirely voluntary, no additional points can be scored by following up on this encouragement and neither will points be deducted for those who do not follow up on it, nor is this seen as cheating.

If you are unsure about the eligibility of a rider, feel free to PM me.

Deadline
You can submit your team as of right now. The deadline for submission is January 3rd, 16:00 CET (http://www.timebie.com/timelocal/centraleuropean.php). After this deadline, team submissions will no longer be accepted. I will then process the teams, which includes checking eligibility. If I encounter an issue with your team, e.g. you've included the same rider twice, you are over budget or a rider you selected is not eligible, I will contact you via PM and give you the opportunity to correct the mistake before January 4th 23:00 CET. If after this deadline, you haven't yet gotten back to me, or there is still an issue with your team, I will:
i) in case you are over the budget, remove a rider to bring you under the budget. This will be the cheapest available rider on your team whose removal will bring you to or under the budget;
ii) in case you selected too many riders, remove the cheapest available rider from your team;
iii) in case of ineligibility, remove the ineligible rider.

I would like to ask the participants to delay the big reveal of their teams until after the January 4th deadline.

I will send my personal team to CN forum and Velorooms member just some guy before the 24th. Because some people might be worried I will have an advantage from seeing some early submissions, players are encouraged to only send in their team after this date.

I am looking for people to share the load of doing the updates with. The process isn't very complicated but it can be a bit tedious and takes around half an hour, including the time it takes to do the write-up. If you are interested, PM me and I will send you an extensive guide on how to update the spreadsheet. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Processed and confirmed teams below:
Flo
snccdcno
scrooll07
fauniera
comodoro
just some guy
laarsland
LosBrolin
Hakkie2
togo95
torcia_86
rodanafrenteguigs
Wallenquist
GP Blanco
Pentacycle
Joelsim
AupaPyama
Leadbelly
del1962
Squire
Kazistuta
Armchair Cyclist
Josedin
Arb
LukasCPH
Roubaix
Tych23
search
shawnm4747
Ludwigzgz
marty
Trudgin
postmanhat
allobroges
MADRAZO
Kryvo
Pantani1
DJW
Midge
Slapshot
Nicosix
al_pacino
CraZyCaLL
rote_lanterne
skidmark
18-Valve

I've sent in my team, so everyone can feel free to send in theirs now :)
Snccdnco has offered to help with updates and checking eligibility as the teams come in (many thanks :) ), he has sent his team in already so you won't have to worry his team is influenced by other people's teams

Also looking forward to sending my team closer to the deadline

One thing:

"Players of the game are encouraged to include at least two riders from 1993 or younger who will ride at ProConti level (ie eligible for u23 world champs) or lower and one rider from 1993 or younger who will ride at Continental level or lower (ie will be riding x.2, x.2u, x.NC races)."

Isn't it supposed to be 1994 ? It was also 1993 in last years game

Re:

MADRAZO said:
Also looking forward to sending my team closer to the deadline

One thing:

"Players of the game are encouraged to include at least two riders from 1993 or younger who will ride at ProConti level (ie eligible for u23 world champs) or lower and one rider from 1993 or younger who will ride at Continental level or lower (ie will be riding x.2, x.2u, x.NC races)."

Isn't it supposed to be 1994 ? It was also 1993 in last years game
You're right, I forgot to edit that part! Fixed it now :)

I got a question about a rider and I think others might wonder about him as well, so I would like to point to this part of the rules:
"Riders should not have already ridden a full year as a professional at either World Tour or Professional Continental level – riding as a stagiaire does not prevent selection. Riders who have signed their first pro contract in August (or later), are considered for the purposes of this game as no different from stagiaire riders. "
So any rider who's only raced for pro teams as a trainee is eligible, even if his "traineeship" started a little before the usual 1st of August :)

I have never been quite sure what this element of the rules is about:
Players of the game are encouraged to include at least two riders from 1994 or younger who will ride at ProConti level (ie eligible for u23 world champs) or lower and one rider from 1994 or younger who will ride at Continental level or lower (ie will be riding x.2, x.2u, x.NC races).

As I understand it, riders on WT teams are no longer prohibited from taking part in the U23 WC (Erik Baska and Tom Bohli, of Tinkoff and BMC respectively, were in U23 races in Qatar)

Is this a recommendation ("Stop and think a moment: you might get more points by selecting from riders who will be in these races") ?

Is it an appeal to sportsmanship ("Please don't pick the riders who you think will do best: handicap yourself by including some of these") ?

Is it a requirement ("If you don't have three riders as specified, we will ignore the points gained by three members of your team") ?

Is it incentivised ("Bonus points will be given to any team including the following riders") ?

Or, as I suspect, is it irrelevant ("Do this if you want, don't if you'd rather not: it doesn't bother me either way") ?

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Players of the game are encouraged to include at least two riders from 1994 or younger who will ride at ProConti level (ie eligible for u23 world champs) or lower and one rider from 1994 or younger who will ride at Continental level or lower (ie will be riding x.2, x.2u, x.NC races).

As I understand it, riders on WT teams are no longer prohibited from taking part in the U23 WC (Erik Baska and Tom Bohli, of Tinkoff and BMC respectively, were in U23 races in Qatar)

Is this a recommendation ("Stop and think a moment: you might get more points by selecting from riders who will be in these races") ?

Is it an appeal to sportsmanship ("Please don't pick the riders who you think will do best: handicap yourself by including some of these") ?

Is it a requirement ("If you don't have three riders as specified, we will ignore the points gained by three members of your team") ?

Is it incentivised ("Bonus points will be given to any team including the following riders") ?

Or, as I suspect, is it irrelevant ("Do this if you want, don't if you'd rather not: it doesn't bother me either way") ?
I believe MC's reason for including that part was to maximize the "youth cycling" experience - youth cycling is so much more than just neo pros on big teams and by including some U23 scene riders players might develop more interest in these races.
But I must say I have an issue with it as well, I thought about removing that "rule" also because as you say young riders on pro teams can ride the U23 Worlds but mainly because I feel those who follow that rule don't get anything for it in return, essentially they are handicapping themselves because U23 races offer very few points: a rider crushing the U23 scene could collect maybe 100 points, which is also what the most mediocre pros on WT level score.
So I'm not really sure what to do with the rule. I like the idea behind it but right now there's too little incentive to follow up on it. An option would be to make it a requirement, but it would make processing the teams even more of a nightmare.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Armchair cyclist said:
I believe MC's reason for including that part was to maximize the "youth cycling" experience - youth cycling is so much more than just neo pros on big teams and by including some U23 scene riders players might develop more interest in these races.
But I must say I have an issue with it as well, I thought about removing that "rule" also because as you say young riders on pro teams can ride the U23 Worlds but mainly because I feel those who follow that rule don't get anything for it in return, essentially they are handicapping themselves because U23 races offer very few points: a rider crushing the U23 scene could collect maybe 100 points, which is also what the most mediocre pros on WT level score.
So I'm not really sure what to do with the rule. I like the idea behind it but right now there's too little incentive to follow up on it. An option would be to make it a requirement, but it would make processing the teams even more of a nightmare.

I suppose it could be incentivised in future editions, with something like Double points may be scored for up to three riders born in 1995 or after, who do not ride for WT teams at the start of the season: no more than two of these may be on Pro-Continental teams as the season starts.
However, that would make the spreadsheet preparation more onerous and I know that nothing that does that is very welcome.

A discussion for next year, perhaps, but for know I think I will just ignore that clause, and if my team happens to abide by it, that is purely coincidental.

Hello everyone!

I've received a few teams over the past days with this rider included: MOLANO BENAVIDES Juan Sebastian. Unfortunately, he is not eligible, as far as I can see. In 2015 he raced for the Pro Conti team Colombia, according to CQranking.
http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=23463
Of course, I may be overlooking something, if there's something I'm not aware of regarding him/team Colombia, let me know :)

I mentioned this last year too and I agree with others that the rule of "encouraged picking of the 2 1994+ is a bit annoying as it is confusing if its ill seen upon not doing so or not. I would be happy if it was a rule one had to do, as that would bring a extra element to the game, and forces a lot of interesting research, but making it voluntary with the "encouraged " that could be interpreted differently is a bit confusing and therefore annoying. I have always picked the continental rider requested, because of the rule, and not wanting to go against the encouragement, being afraid that might be seen as semi-cheating, last season by adding Tusveld that did indeed turn out a fine pick, but had the encouragement not been there I might have picked differently as others are mentioning pro conti riders might often have more scoring potential, so following the encouragement has often felt like a handicap. I think its fine to encouragere picking young riders, but it should not be mentioned directly in the rules if it is indeed 100% voluntary.

Re:

MADRAZO said:
I mentioned this last year too and I agree with others that the rule of "encouraged picking of the 2 1994+ is a bit annoying as it is confusing if its ill seen upon not doing so or not. I would be happy if it was a rule one had to do, as that would bring a extra element to the game, and forces a lot of interesting research, but making it voluntary with the "encouraged " that could be interpreted differently is a bit confusing and therefore annoying. I have always picked the continental rider requested, because of the rule, and not wanting to go against the encouragement, being afraid that might be seen as semi-cheating, last season by adding Tusveld that did indeed turn out a fine pick, but had the encouragement not been there I might have picked differently as others are mentioning pro conti riders might often have more scoring potential, so following the encouragement has often felt like a handicap. I think its fine to encouragere picking young riders, but it should not be mentioned directly in the rules if it is indeed 100% voluntary.
I agree. I've added a note in the OP regarding this encouragement and I'll send out a PM to all who've entered already to make them aware that this encouragement is voluntary and offer them the opportunity to revise their teams.

Ideally, I'd want to make this a requirement, but as I already mentioned, it would make processing the teams an even bigger PITA. It could be possible though, and if some Excel wizard has an idea how this could be made easier through the spreadsheet, I'd gladly hear your input :)
It could be incentivized as well, but then the question is, what should be the reward? Double points for all .NC and 2.2 races? That would be a spreadsheet nightmare. A headstart of an x number of points would be easier, but what should the number be?

PS: all this is just some brainstorming for future editions and not something I'd want to implement right away

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

3.2. Eligibility

ii) be riding at Continental level or lower, born in 1992 or younger, without having previously ridden as a professional.

Hi, I have a doubt, OWEN Logan is eligible? He ran in continental level, is considered professional cyclist in continental level?
Thanks.

Pantani1 said:
LaFlorecita said:

3.2. Eligibility

Hi, I have a doubt, OWEN Logan is eligible? He ran in continental level, is considered professional cyclist in continental level?
Thanks.
No, professional level is only ProContinental and WorldTour. So, he is eligible :)

By the way, some other posters have reported issues with sending PMs before having made 10 posts, so if you can't send me a PM, try to post until you have 10 :)

TRENDING THREADS