• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Zipp 302 for 800 Euros- should I go for it?

That's a pretty good price. Other options would be Mavic Cosmic or Comete for deeper rims or the Ksyrium if you want something light. You can probably get the Exalith Ksyriums for a similar price. If you want to run tubeless I've fond the Mavic UST system to work really well. Compatible tyres go up without sealant and with just a track pump. Not tried on UST tyres though.

What do you want them for? I'd tend to favour the lighter wheels over the aero wheels myself, unless you are using them for racing?

Reactions: geisterhome
Thanks for your advice.

I don't want to go tubeless in the near future. I want them for training mostly, maybe I'll ride some kind of race with them in the future but racing isn't a focus. Also important is that they look good on the bike lol. That's also why I favor the black version (as it fits the looks of my black/"stealth" canyon ultimate) which isn't as common and seems on average a bit more pricy. However 800 Euros is the best price I could find online for either.

If the bike suits the deeper section rims then you can't go wrong with Zipps looks wise. I'd drop the Cosmics then, I'm not a huge fan of the look, but the Ksyrium's would look very cool on a matte black bike with their little flashes of yellow:

They're not a big brand, and you might have a similar builder local to you, but Wheelsmith build some awesome wheels for a very good price. The bonus is you won't struggle to get freehubs, spokes etc. like you can with some of the bigger brands (If you use their hubs):

Reactions: geisterhome
If the bike suits the deeper section rims then you can't go wrong with Zipps looks wise. I'd drop the Cosmics then, I'm not a huge fan of the look, but the Ksyrium's would look very cool on a matte black bike with their little flashes of yellow:

They're not a big brand, and you might have a similar builder local to you, but Wheelsmith build some awesome wheels for a very good price. The bonus is you won't struggle to get freehubs, spokes etc. like you can with some of the bigger brands (If you use their hubs):

I went with the Zipp. To be honest in the end this is more about the looks than anything else for me (and many other hobby cyclists spending big on deep section carbon wheels) and Zipp in my mind is something like the Mercedes among the wheel manufacturers.
Around 45mm depth is actually exactly what I was looking for as looks aero isn't anything too extreme either and can work in all conditions. Probably they are still overpriced for what they are offering even at 800€ but at worst they are solid wheels by a fancy brand.

TRENDING THREADS