• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Zwift....explain it to me

I've had almost a week off the bike because of ice, snow and cold. I'm beginning to think I need to get some sort of rollers/trainer. Plus, I'd quite like to do a bit of training to put average speed well into the 20s.

Thing is, turbo training bores me rigid. I've noticed on my Strava feed that loads of clubmates use Zwift.

So what do I need beyond a smart trainer? I've seen an Elite Direto for a whisker under £600, but what sort of computer power do I need? Is there a way to get it onto my TV?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
No matter how awesome your entertainment system is in front of you for this gig, in the end you are still on a stationary bike for more than an hour and that blows.

Re:

macbindle said:
Having used it several times I can tell you that it is infinitely preferable to staring at a wall...and nothing beats a turbo for training gains/time

But yeah...I much prefer being on the road too ;)

Long rides outdoors, interval sessions outdoors .... comraderie, fresh air .... all great. BUT ... no way I’m gonna diss indoor training. 75% of my training for Ventoux, last fall, was indoor training ... on my Kurt Kinetic or my spin bike , power meter, etc. Controlled environment, disciplined workouts. Same effect for my fall triathlon on my TT bike.

Would be pleased to exchange some ideas, MAC. PM me if interested.

I use Zwift all winter and have for the past two winters and I can safely say that I don't lose much, if any form at all during the cold months when in years past it would be the same workup to good form again starting every February.

I use a Wahoo Kicker smart trainer, which easily links up to Zwift and provides a great variable resistance workout.

Bought a cheap frame (£35) last week that I've built up with old 9sp Tiagra, stolen from my wife's bike (No, she hasn't noticed) purely to use on the turbo. Didn't seem right wearing out my DA group set and shagging up the dropouts on my expensive French carbon frame.

I'm with you on this, Irondan. I did 3 hard sessions over 2 weeks and noticed a marked improvement out on the road. It seems counter-intuitive but I am finding it easier to push myself harder on the turbo that outdoors.

Re:

Irondan said:
I use Zwift all winter and have for the past two winters and I can safely say that I don't lose much, if any form at all during the cold months when in years past it would be the same workup to good form again starting every February.

I use a Wahoo Kicker smart trainer, which easily links up to Zwift and provides a great variable resistance workout.

Wahoo Kickr is golden. Good reviews from DC Rainmaker. SKY think so, as well.

Magene Gravat is its new competitor ... little less expensive than the pricey Kickr.

Both made in China; both excellent; have tried both.

To those that can’t afford either of these, no worries. A basic Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is just as good. I’ve used it to great effect. Music stand in front of bars, laptop, Lance & Pantani on Ventoux, power meter & Garmin. Magnifico.

All in all ... the high end trainers are luxury items to those with limited disposable income for training. Having said that ... "training" is your best investment, as opposed to equipment, if you want to get stronger and faster.

And ... you can get stronger and faster ... without a high end trainer ... if you understand power ... and how to get it.

I can see the obvious appeal of it -- I have a couple of friends who are addicted to it -- but cheating seems rife, so that's a minor turnoff.
Google it; there are some funny stories about apparent power-to-weight ratios that are better than Merckx, Lemond and Hinault combined :D

I used it this year to train for a couple of races, it's been the most fit I've been in years. I just can't get the time to train on the road, but I can knock out an hour in the garage anytime. Love the focus on training against specific power goals. I haven't done any of the events, so I don't care about the cheating, just training against my own goals. Better on my group MTB rides, able to race, PR's all over the place.

It's been a complete game-changer for me.

With so many people in lockdown, Zwift is getting crazy popular. There's also middle aged guys with 200W FTPs who apparently weigh 45kgs lol!

Just did a "C" ride with the Movistar team, had to sit at least 3.4W/kg - nothing crazy at all, but harder than advertised - to hold my own in the 2nd group on the road (C is meant to be 2.5 - 3.2W/kg), and lost around 100 places on the Innsbruck climb sitting on 4. 2W/kg + the whole way up. Nearly lost it laughing when Valverde, Verona and Mas lit the afterburners... and 50plus riders were able to hold the wheel!!

Still had fun though,even if it's not the same.

TRENDING THREADS