• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Zwift "Tour for All" (May 4th to May 8th 2020)

I watched the full replay on the GCN app yesterday and found it pretty good but I would have liked to see gaps between groups rather than the constantly shifting of positions in the lead pack. I don't even think we got full rankings or how many riders finished. Also a website with some stats would be nice.

Coverage for Stage 2 has now started on the GCN app, enjoy !

"Stage 2 will be five laps on the Richmond world championships course for 46.2km with KOM sprints on the course's two climbs (Libby Hill and 23rd street) down to three places. "

MVDP racing today, as well as Avermaet, Bettiol, Impey, Valgren, etc...

Last edited:
It's kinda fun. But I'm having a hard time taking some of the features too seriously; turning yourself invisible? You can't do that…

Agree about the positions thing.

Oh, and why are half these guys not wearing helmets? Do they want their little avatars to get concussions?

Reactions: Koronin
That was a great finish and the second day in a row that a "non-star" wins, how come it (almost) never happens IRL ;-)

Yeah the "PowerOn" concept is a bit too "gamey", they are working on new "bonuses" not based on luck (right now its random and you get zilch!) but rather on strategy. I saw some guys using the "double draft" (truck) but there was no one in front of them so I suppose it was zero help ?

Yeah the "PowerOn" concept is a bit too "gamey", they are working on new "bonuses" not based on luck (right now its random and you get zilch!) but rather on strategy. I saw some guys using the "double draft" (truck) but there was no one in front of them so I suppose it was zero help ?

Oh, I actually thought you had to decide. Explains why Valgren suddenly made himself invisible while solo.
And imagine some poor sod just coming across it on the TV, and not having a clue what's going on; "He used all his buritos!"

Oh, I actually thought you had to decide. Explains why Valgren suddenly made himself invisible while solo.
And imagine some poor sod just coming across it on the TV, and not having a clue what's going on; "He used all his buritos!"

Yeah, all you can do is decide is when to use the PowerOn you got at random and sometimes you have to decide to "dump" one (like the Burrito) when you reach a KOM/Sprint banner as you can only have one at a time.

BTW here is good guide on how the PowerUps work : https://zwiftinsider.com/powerups/

Last edited:
Maybe it is beacause I watched it at Eurosport with (czech) commentary, but I liked it more than Flanders or Swiss 5. I really disliked that stupid power ups though. Winner of the women race used her lightweight power up in final climb. Come on! That was like kindergarden game not something what should modulate real cycling

Reactions: GVFTA
Danish commentators made a really good point; the powerups just shows that it's a different category from regular cycling.
Wow. Yeah, because we needed that to understand that this is different. WTF. Then just let them play Mario Kart. I can see how this can be "fun" for amateurs, as a way of combining entertainment with exercise, but it should not be part of a pro event.

Reactions: GVFTA
Wow. Yeah, because we needed that to understand that this is different. WTF. Then just let them play Mario Kart. I can see how this can be "fun" for amateurs, as a way of combining entertainment with exercise, but it should not be part of a pro event.

But, why not? It's just a different pro event.

(Of course, I'm sort of trying to figure out a way to improve the graphics/gameplay, so riders don't actually phase through each other.)

PowerOn, invisible? Why are these "features" even needed? Is there anything wrong for attempting to appeal to fans of real racing who are now starved? Sorry not interested. I will read about it and long for real racing to return. Make virtual as real as possible that means keep drafting but drop the gimmicks like poweron and invisible. Not needed nor wanted.

PowerOn, invisible? Why are these "features" even needed? Is there anything wrong for attempting to appeal to fans of real racing who are now starved? Sorry not interested. I will read about it and long for real racing to return. Make virtual as real as possible that means keep drafting but drop the gimmicks like poweron and invisible. Not needed nor wanted.
Well it's part of Strava, but I agree they could've turned it all off to make these races with pros more realistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: KZD
But, why not? It's just a different pro event.

(Of course, I'm sort of trying to figure out a way to improve the graphics/gameplay, so riders don't actually phase through each other.)
Sure, and there is also a pro gamer competition for Fortnight, Smash Bros, Fifa, PUBG... whatever, but then keep cycling out of it. There are plenty of pro riders who 've never done Zwift before and don't know the first thing about these powerups, when or how to use them or what effect they'll have. It completely defeats the purpose of having them do any sort of physical effort since those powerups can upend the entire competition, virtual doping, based on luck. It makes zero sense for a pro cycling event.

Sure, and there is also a pro gamer competition for Fortnight, Smash Bros, Fifa, PUBG... whatever, but then keep cycling out of it. There are plenty of pro riders who 've never done Zwift before and don't know the first thing about these powerups, when or how to use them or what effect they'll have. It completely defeats the purpose of having them do any sort of physical effort since those powerups can upend the entire competition, virtual doping, based on luck. It makes zero sense for a pro cycling event.

You're still comparing it to road cycling. It's not road cycling. And it doesn't defeat the purpose of having them to a physical effort in order to, you know, keep fit. They're just... having fun while they're doing it, and since there's nothing else to watch, it's a good way to pass the time.

However, I think I've realised why it's called the breakaway burito.
Buritos often contain beans.
If you eat beans, tend to fart.
If you fart, no one will wanna be in your slipstream!

Now I'm just waiting for someone to implement that in road racing.

TRENDING THREADS