• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

De Ronde van Vlaanderen (270.8 km), 2024 March 31 (Sunday)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Visma and Trek should both be trying to put people into moves from kilometre zero. Between last year and Wevelgem, it's clear that isolating Van der Poel ASAP is the way to go. And with Kragh not at last year's level, it's become an easier objective.
MVDP has to attack the moment he can, and see who is able to follow. He needs to isolate the top Trek and Visma riders. I'm wondering if WVA will work with him, otherwise it's going to be difficult for MVDP now that Pogacar isn't here.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm not so sure about MvdPs win as the polls suggest. As Berniece points out, isolating Lidl and Visma top dogs to make it a one to few encounter will require him to attack early, which will require a lot of energy. Also, his team just doesn't convince me at all. SKA and Vermeersch are subtop at best, of which the former always seem to have his offday in Flanders (best result 53rd in 2018). In essence Philipsen could be a good domestique, but I have never seen him really play this role passionately (one could argue PR last year, but there his domestique role was quite passive). For some reason, MvdP always seem to manage it without a top notch team surrounding him, but this year feels like it could be different with a vital role to be played by Lidl.

Last edited:
Look. I'm not saying that I secrectly got rather happy when my mother said she's planning on having Easter Dinner Saturday rather than Sunday.
But, yeah: I secretly got rather happy when my mother said she's planning on having Easter Dinner Saturday rather than Sunday.

I have raised my parents well enough so that they know Easter Sundays are no-gos.

Last edited:
Look. I'm not saying that I secrectly got rather happy when my mother said she's planning on having Easter Dinner Saturday rather than Sunday.
But, yeah: I secretly got rather happy when my mother said she's planning on having Easter Dinner Saturday rather than Sunday.
We moved dinner to later in the evening, but I said I only watch with my brother at his place. I can't stand people around me that barely watch cycling at such moments. It's already hard enough having a brother as WVA fan, while I'm a MVDP fan. Mostly hard for him actually.

I’ll eat my hat if mvp has anything left to contest this effectively. He’s gone deep at everything since cyclocross season
Hear me out. The only way mvp is fully prepared for this race is it philipsen wins gent wevelgem.

All that energy spent. Couldn’t contest the sprint against pedersen (it’s always the other way around between him and mads) and the entire peloton was right behind them.

MVDP better than ever but Trek-Lidl showing some good form. If Visma works together with TL and other teams are being opportunistic and don't interfere Van der Poel might find himself in a tough spot. But as someone already said he is quite used of doing it all by himself. With Pogacar in the mix the race would be quite different and these two would most likely work together until the later part of the race. Clearly best option for the other stronger teams is to put their second best options in early breakaways (eg Benoot, Stuyven etc) and either hope that those stick or that their favorite man (WVA or Pedersen) get a nice ride before the final showdown.

Hear me out. The only way mvp is fully prepared for this race is it philipsen wins gent wevelgem.

All that energy spent. Couldn’t contest the sprint against pedersen (it’s always the other way around between him and mads) and the entire peloton was right behind them.
Always like that between them? How many of these kind of sprints have they had? I can think of zero.

MvP can be beaten in sprints with the right strategy, Wva, Asgreen and now Mads have shown that.

I kind of agree with any other rider than MvdP and Pog that GW was too much energy spent, but as we all have seen before, MvdP has incredible recovery, and he is for sure not overraced this season with MSR his first road race.

I also fear other teams will be neutralizing each other (e.g. Trek leading the peloton chasing whoever, while MvdP is in the wheel --> even without team, MvdP most likely will still have a team riding on the front).

Visma and Trek to control the break for MVP (I mean for Wout and Pedersen).
MVP puts the hammer down on 2nd Kwaremont with 40k's to go with only Stuyven and Wout that can follow.

Wout and Stuyven to relay with MVP until final kwaremont. MVP outwatts them all and wins his 3rd RVV.
WVA to outsprint Stuyven for 2nd place as per usual.

- insert generic rabofail comment -

MVDP better than ever but Trek-Lidl showing some good form. If Visma works together with TL and other teams are being opportunistic and don't interfere Van der Poel might find himself in a tough spot. But as someone already said he is quite used of doing it all by himself. With Pogacar in the mix the race would be quite different and these two would most likely work together until the later part of the race. Clearly best option for the other stronger teams is to put their second best options in early breakaways (eg Benoot, Stuyven etc) and either hope that those stick or that their favorite man (WVA or Pedersen) get a nice ride before the final showdown.
and yet I still wonder what happens, say Visma and Trek send guys out ahead.
And MVDP's team can't help it. And he attacks and they sit on his wheel. And then MVDP just says "ok, then we all don't win, I have 2 of these RVV's already". Will Wout and Pedersen or Stuyven (who also wont get a pass) keep sitting in?

I really wonder.

I have a feeling there aren't many riders that are given just a tiny bit of chance to win this, with MvdP and next some riders (but not many!) like WvA, Pedersen, Stuyven,....

I would like some riders feature deep in the finale, and while it's hard to see past the favourites, I do hope e.g. Trentin, Wellens, Tiller, Neilands, Matthews, Lazkano, Kung, Bettiol, Lampaert... are still in the mix (or in front of the mix) in the last 40K.

My dark horse would have been Narvaez, he's still on the start list, but he's out, no?

and yet I still wonder what happens, say Visma and Trek send guys out ahead.
And MVDP's team can't help it. And he attacks and they sit on his wheel. And then MVDP just says "ok, then we all don't win, I have 2 of these RVV's already". Will Wout and Pedersen or Stuyven (who also wont get a pass) keep sitting in?

I really wonder.
I think Trek-Lidl and Visma need to send their next best guys in order for that tactic to work, eg keep Pedersen and WVA for a late surge and send Stuyven/Theuns and Jorgensen/Benoot. It may still not work but should potentially give MVDP a little more work to do.