• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Cian Uijtdebroeks - From the wetlands to the top of cycling

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He’s focusing on the last week. Did climb really good yesterday, if he can keep this up I see him finishing on the podium. Worked hard on his TT (but expect to see results in 1-2y for optimal position). And in a GT it’s more about condition/recuperation after several days so hopefully he doesn’t lose that much time this Giro.

He’s focusing on the last week. Did climb really good yesterday, if he can keep this up I see him finishing on the podium. Worked hard on his TT (but expect to see results in 1-2y for optimal position). And in a GT it’s more about condition/recuperation after several days so hopefully he doesn’t lose that much time this Giro.
Really looking forward to his TT, as in I want to see how much he improved. I still expect him to lose 1-2min to Thomas

Del Toro is clearly much zappier than Uijtdebroeks, who is a diesel. Del Toro will have an easier time winning stages and one week stage races. But Del Toro has not raced a GT yet. If he does that with succes as well, than i'd go with Del Toro. But Uijtdebroeks has proven to be very consistent in stage races and has already finished a GT in the top 10. So imho, it's too early to tell, you'll at least have to wait until the Vuelta to make an assessment.
Agree with everything here.

Also that its way to early to tell ofc but thats the thing if I was to invest in one of em the ceiling maby indeed higher in del toro? but at the same time hes unproven in GT so more risk.

Also their so young suddenly someone can rocket their developement sky high and the other stay still for so many reason its to early to tell.

But nevertheless exciting riders both to follow and see how they do, big big talent both as of now thats the only thing which is sure. Seems to be level headed aswell which is a good sign.

Really looking forward to his TT, as in I want to see how much he improved. I still expect him to lose 1-2min to Thomas
I think 3-4 miutes should be expected alone in the first TT. Sure theres a lot of climbing in the end but there are also over 30 flat TT kms which will probably kill his climbing if his TT is as bad as it looked at the start of the season. It's just pure karma that Jumbo is giving him the leadership at the GT where the TT alone could cost him a top result.

I can't see him losing much more than about 2 minutes to Thomas in the first TT. He lost 2:27 to an outstanding WVA in the 42 km NC TT last year. In the 26 km Vuelta TT he lost only 35s to Thomas (but not riding for GC at that point) and 1:17 to Vingegaard (a better comparison). If he loses only 1 to 1:30 to Thomas it will be a very good TT for Cian. That's probably what he needs to target.

I can't see him losing much more than about 2 minutes to Thomas in the first TT. He lost 2:27 to an outstanding WVA in the 42 km NC TT last year. In the 26 km Vuelta TT he lost only 35s to Thomas (but not riding for GC at that point) and 1:17 to Vingegaard (a better comparison). If he loses only 1 to 1:30 to Thomas it will be a very good TT for Cian. That's probably what he needs to target.
Thomas is nice benchmark in TT to see where hes at now indeed gonne be intesting to see him there. Him and Del Toro gonne be interesting to follow em both. When Ayuso goes to Moviestar i suspect both Del Toro and Cian will catch up to him faster than most ppl think.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Thomas is nice benchmark in TT to see where hes at now indeed gonne be intesting to see him there. Him and Del Toro gonne be interesting to follow em both. When Ayuso goes to Moviestar i suspect both Del Toro and Cian will catch up to him faster than most ppl think.
I have a feeling Cian will already be catched up this year if he finishes on the podium this Giro. And when Ayuso goes to Movistar he'll be surpassed by both of them probably.

Del Toro has another year to prove himself, he's younger. Is he going to the Vuelta? Hopefully he doesn't have to work for Almeida or Ayuso there.

I have a feeling Cian will already be catched up this year if he finishes on the podium this Giro. And when Ayuso goes to Movistar he'll be surpassed by both of them probably.

Del Toro has another year to prove himself, he's younger. Is he going to the Vuelta? Hopefully he doesn't have to work for Almeida or Ayuso there.
Cian is more proven indeed but I have this gut feeling Del Toro ceiling is higher(i fcourse cant know this at all) but ofcoures hes unproven in GT perspective so if this was a stock the risk would be higher than in Cian indeed.

Nevertheless their both so young and many other factors can change and flip this going forward but indeed.

I personally dont see Cian podium the giro but if he should do thats impressive . The field in the Giro also is not at the same level of vuelta last year for instance. I do think they both need more than 1 year to catch up to Ayuso personally for me but if switch to Moviestar happen he better wake up early sorta thing indeed :sweatsmile:

Anyway exciting times ahead cycling is in a era where its hard not to like what you see. The approact of the teams regarding youths is definitely a right move and another step in evolusion of approaching things and its barring fruits imo.

I personally dont see Cian podium the giro but if he should do thats impressive . The field in the Giro also is not at the same level of vuelta last year for instance. I do think they both need more than 1 year to catch up to Ayuso personally for me but if switch to Moviestar happen he better wake up early sorta thing indeed :sweatsmile:
In the beginning of the Giro I expected him to ride top 10, but due to some riders already losing a lot of time I see top 5 as the new target, and podium is what I hope he achieves.