• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

David Gaudu discussion thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think he's in the rather large group of riders who can end up top-5 in this year's Tour.

I think he should target a stage win instead. I had high hopes for him last season, but he didn't deliver, and with two ITTs this year and a possibly more stacked field, I don't fancy his GC chances. And if he keeps crashing (he also crashed during recon for the Gran Camiño ITT) it will be harder for him to reach his best form before the Tour.

I think he should target a stage win instead. I had high hopes for him last season, but he didn't deliver, and with two ITTs this year and a possibly more stacked field, I don't fancy his GC chances. And if he keeps crashing (he also crashed during recon for the Gran Camiño ITT) it will be harder for him to reach his best form before the Tour.

Last year, seven of the top 8 got a stage win so those two things are hardly mutually exclusive.

Gaudu could podium the Giro d'Italia, despite the TT kilometers. Simply because after Pogacar has secured the pink jersey there's room and possibility of successful long-range attacks as UAE doesn't need to control.

Top 5 at the Tour de France when the full arms race is on? Nearly impossible for Gaudu!

Reactions: Sandisfan
I guess he somewhat punchy. I just don't like the guy, and I dont believe in the guy either tbh. But he can prove me wrong ofc!
Gaudu has a really good kick, actually. Didn't he outsprint Wout on an uphill finish?

He's not a consistent tippy top level climber, however, and lacks a big TT.

I was a fan of the low-key Gaudu, but high-profile, high-ambition Gaudu, without the big wins to back it up, is not an appealing personality.

But I think he can still be top 5 in the tour, particularly if the podium contenders burn up their lieutenants. Take away riders like Hindley and A. Yates and Gaudu is no worse than Gall or C. Rod, for example.