• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gent-Wevelgem (men’s) 2024 (Sunday, March 24)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The 30 flat kms after the first Kemmel were perfect for these tactics. They used Milan as perfect cannon fodder. Van der Poel basically led the group for like 95% from the moment Milan attacked untill he got caught again. Pithie, Tiller and Dijke could only help with some hesitant pulls. All while his two strongest opponents got a free ride in his wheel.

But in E3 and RVV there is no such long flat sections. The repetitive hills do not give the other guys easier free rides. Even here he tried to use the uphill gravel section and an exposed piece of road to put the guys 'freewheeling' behind him in the gutter.
True in RVV you don't have such long (flat) sections, but e.g. a good WvA in the draft can be the equal in the finale of a (good) MvdP that is overworked. The problem is that on a harder parcours like RVV you can get overworked, sitting in the wheel as well, especially on the bergs. And above all, you need very, very good bait. Milan was excellent as bait, but who, from Visma, could (and want to) take up his role? Because you really need a fearless rider that can pretend he's in the running for the win, while at the same time he's prepared to completely sacrifice himself. There simply aren't many that can pull this off.
So I fear the only possibility to work over MvdP is to have an alliance between WvA and some other contenders, but as those are not in the same team, it is very hard to achieve this (even within the same team it's not always possible / executed well).

Just now watching. Pedersen prevails. Very nice win. Seemed to carry most of the general pulling. Mvp pulling back most the attacks. Milan not only clearly assisted pedersen considering the work mvp had to do containing him, but also had something left to contest the best of the rest. Very strong team work

Reactions: Oldermanish
True in RVV you don't have such long (flat) sections, but e.g. a good WvA in the draft can be the equal in the finale of a (good) MvdP that is overworked. The problem is that on a harder parcours like RVV you can get overworked, sitting in the wheel as well, especially on the bergs. And above all, you need very, very good bait. Milan was excellent as bait, but who, from Visma, could (and want to) take up his role? Because you really need a fearless rider that can pretend he's in the running for the win, while at the same time he's prepared to completely sacrifice himself. There simply aren't many that can pull this off.
So I fear the only possibility to work over MvdP is to have an alliance between WvA and some other contenders, but as those are not in the same team, it is very hard to achieve this (even within the same team it's not always possible / executed well).
I think in reality, P-R is Wout's best shot. I think the bergs are too much of a strength for Mathieu, and I think he will attack until Wout cannot follow.

The scenario of a rider off the front by VLAB is possible for Jorgensen, but I think Alpecin and Lidl will not let him go so easy.

I think in reality, P-R is Wout's best shot. I think the bergs are too much of a strength for Mathieu, and I think he will attack until Wout cannot follow.

The scenario of a rider off the front by VLAB is possible for Jorgensen, but I think Alpecin and Lidl will not let him go so easy.
Or Lidl Trek will try try to get a rider into a early attacking group with him.