• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Itzulia Basque Country 2024, April 1-6

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roglič has attacked on Krabelin before. He did it in 2021 when he accelerated to stop Pog from re-joining the front group & he did it again in 2022 when he was riding in support for Vingo.

For me the key will be how much energy he's expended before Krabelin. Like if there's a split early on stage 6 & he has to work on the chase, then yes it'll be an issue. But I think both Rog & Evenepoel will surprise some people next week.

Just a hunch.
I am convinced Roglic 2021 was his best edition ever. Proven in Itzulia's crazy opening ITT and then the final stage that you mention, Olympic games as well as his best ever Vuelta performance. If only he didn't crash out, what a Tour that would have been...

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is Rogla was exceptional that year and Krabelin should suit Vingegaard better this year.

Reactions: pablohidalgo7
Not sure why folks are talking about Remco and Rog, at least one guy from the UAE will be ahead of them in the GC.
I don’t see Yates making the podium. I’m more unsure about what to expect of Ayuso. He could well have an eye on the Ardennes.

EDIT: Only now see that Yates won't go. It doesn't really change anything, as I didn't expect him to be strong here. In this stacked field, I don't give the secondary riders on the team any chance of making the podium.

Last edited:
Evenepoel is pretty great on a TT bike, even when it's technical. I don't understand where this narrative comes from.
I might be wrong and it might just be my impression but I think Evenepoel generally takes less risks in a TT and is a bit more conservative in technical parts than for example Vingegaard or Ayuso.

I agree he can be great on the TT bike technically but I feel like that usually happens in TT's that he has specifically prepared for and has been able to recon multiple times.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don’t see Yates making the podium. I’m more unsure about what to expect of Ayuso. He could well have an eye on the Ardennes.
You could say the same thing about Rog and Remco, couldn't you?

Anyway, I consider Ayuso a better stage race (WT level) rider than Remco.

TdS was the first race after covid for Evenepoel.

When did he beat Evenepoel in a TT in the Vuelta? Evenepoel almost put 1min on him in 2023, and +2min in 2022.

I was talking about GC, not ITT.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I might be wrong and it might just be my impression but I think Evenepoel generally takes less risks in a TT and is a bit more conservative in technical parts than for example Vingegaard or Ayuso.

I agree he can be great on the TT bike technically but I feel like that usually happens in TT's that he has specifically prepared for and has been able to recon multiple times.
Ah I see what you mean. Yeah I agree that he might be a bit more risk averse if he wasn't able to properly scout the race.

Reactions: Berflamand
unconvincing?

He literally has a win and a second. The one he finished second, he took the points and mountain jerseys along with a stage win
All true. He's been exactly where he should be to prep for the Tour IMO. What I think is being said is that he doesn't look like he did at the start of the Giro or Vuelta when he was absolutely flying. But to your point, why should he be? Because the other aliens are? Not sure that's a bar he's gonna be able to meet.

What is more lazy: to automatically criticise any route or to automatically criticise any criticism of routes?
The automatic criticism of any route is what leads, and happens without exception. The criticism of the incessant criticism is a natural reaction. I don't know that either is "lazy", certainly the latter isn't. But certainly the former is tiresome.

Not to get too off topic but does anybody happen to have 2 cents of advice to someone visiting the Basque Country for a few days in summer looking for things to do and see?
Where are you staying? The Euskotren is a rickety old narrow-gauge but will be a gateway to a lot of small towns and coastal areas. Bermeo is a beautiful fishing town, Durango is a scenic old town with a lot of cycling tradition, San Sebastián has its beautiful beach and the scenery above it. Eibar is worth a visit regardless of the cycling tradition. The Gipuzkoan side of the Euskotren is full of stops at picturesque coastal towns like Deba, Zarautz and so on. My favourite of these is Zumaia. East of Donostia you can go into Irún and across the French border into Hendaia which is the last stop on the line; it's easy to walk from there to the end station of the French rail network and visit the Côte Basque towns like Saint-Jean-de-Luz and Biarritz too. On Bilbao Metro you can see Portugalete's transporter bridge or head out to Plentzia's large, wide beach. There's also the funicular up to La Reineta which offers fantastic views as well.

If you want to negotiate the sometimes counterintuitive bus services (if you're used to the Spanish bus systems you'll be fine, but it can be a bit confusing for newcomers) then Oñati is a must-see, with the old university and medieval buildings. Pamplona is a bit further afield but still takes less than 2 hours from Bilbao to get to on the bus and of course has things like the historic Plaza de Toros, the main square with its Hemingway traditional cafés.

Also if it's convenient, check the sites of the main empresas (ASPE and Baiko, formerly Asegarce) for Basque pelota to see where matches are on. Some of the frontoiak are scenic and well worth a visit in their own right, such as the ones in Eibar, Pamplona and San Sebastián, whereas others are perhaps less grandiose but more important for the sport, such as the one in Markina-Xemein where the jai-alai form of the game was invented, or Bizkaia Frontón on a hilltop overlooking Bilbao, where most of the championship games are now held.

Well, if Ayuso is a better stage racer than Remco, then there is no hope.
Judging by their last two meetings he is.

The climbs in this race here are Remco territory though, so I would give him the advantage.

However, with a climb like La Punt that was in TdS and Ayuso would smoke him in this race... might still do anyway.

Overall favorite is of course Vingegaard though.

Judging by their last two meetings he is.

The climbs in this race here are Remco territory though, so I would give him the advantage.

However, with a climb like La Punt that was in TdS and Ayuso would smoke him in this race... might still do anyway.

Overall favorite is of course Vingegaard though.
Irrelavent, as far as I'm concerned: Tour de Suisse after Giro COVID-19 and Vuelta after an ill-prepared approach, as an afterthought and with the WCITT. Now is the time to assess.