• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 194 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is no drama if people are professional and the roles are made clear before hand. I don't think Vingegaards role would be to specifically tow a captain up the mountains anyway. If he was that much stronger than the captain he would likely have a free role to hunt for the stage win in those spots and mainly help the captain earlier if he doesn't have the best of legs comparatively.
I don’t think there’s any chance he goes as a stage hunter, unless it’s to get legs for Vuelta.

I wonder how much this is up to him. Do the big stars have so much power that they can decide for themselves whether they should participate or not? It's kind of important for the team and sponsors from the PR and commercial standpoint to have the double reigning champion at the start just to show himself even if he's not in 100% shape even if it is just to hunt for a stage or two and to help one of his team mates get a good result in his place.
It's up to Jonas, first. You can't make a rider race if they're unwilling.
JV is getting almost as much marketing off this recovery phase as they can and likely will expect him to post workout progress broadcasts. Those would make daily viewing in Denmark, at least.

The problem with starting a GT, particularly the Tour when not at your best is the danger factor. The first week is nuts for aggression by everyone trying to get on their jersey on camera. Safety is totally secondary. That middle to back of field is where lesser riders live and die. It seems like a risky proposition if he hasn't done some prior racing to be comfortable. That risk increases if he'd be trying to push to the front to assist a team result. IMO he'd be best served to target a lower profile race and serve as an JV ambassador in the meantime.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
It's up to Jonas, first. You can't make a rider race if they're unwilling.
JV is getting almost as much marketing off this recovery phase as they can and likely will expect him to post workout progress broadcasts. Those would make daily viewing in Denmark, at least.

The problem with starting a GT, particularly the Tour when not at your best is the danger factor. The first week is nuts for aggression by everyone trying to get on their jersey on camera. Safety is totally secondary. That middle to back of field is where lesser riders live and die. It seems like a risky proposition if he hasn't done some prior racing to be comfortable. That risk increases if he'd be trying to push to the front to assist a team result. IMO he'd be best served to target a lower profile race and serve as an JV ambassador in the meantime.
So contracts mean nothing? I think Jonas may have an opinion but I don't think he has the final word. That would otherwise be unprecedented in almost any team sport, especially one so heavily focused on sponsors. And nothing they are doing during recovery even comes close to the coverage that the Tour gets. By orders of magnitude.

Also I don't expect him to ride if he's not fit for it. I just think that if he's not in 100% shape to fight for the win, they will still send him because it means too much for the team and sponsors if he's there or not.

I guess we'll find out eventually depending on how his recovery goes. First of all he needs to get fit enough to actually race before it becomes a question they need to address at all.

I believe if he's at 90/95% before the Tour, like he was before the Vuelta 2023, Visma will decide to put Vingegaard in the Tour, because he can still fight for the victory and improve the shape until the last week, where everything will be decided.

Now, this can be "wishfull thinking" by my side, but i believe he will be in the Tour, because Visma did not descarded yet his appearance there, and i believe a lot in his ability to recover faster. This guys doesn't appear to be humans. It's unbeliavable how fast Van aert is recovering after what happened to him.

I believe if he's at 90/95% before the Tour, like he was before the Vuelta 2023, Visma will decide to put Vingegaard in the Tour, because he can still fight for the victory and improve the shape until the last week, where everything will be decided.

Now, this can be "wishfull thinking" by my side, but i believe he will be in the Tour, because Visma did not descarded yet his appearance there, and i believe a lot in his ability to recover faster. This guys doesn't appear to be humans. It's unbeliavable how fast Van aert is recovering after what happened to him.

I'm not sure if 90% Vingegaard can beat 100% Roglic. This would be tough. Hard to say anything for sure about Pogacar as he's never done a GT double and no idea what percentage he can reach (but probably not more than those 90%). If Pogacar was 100% preparing for the Tour then 90% Vingo would have small chances but Giro makes it a different situation.

On wishful thinking, I think its a little early to be making predictions. We can't compare different injuries or riders. And recovering from big efforts on stage races is completely different to the body repairing broken tissues and bones from a crash. Maybe take Fran Maasan's advice -

In two weeks, we'll know what is possible

I'm not sure if 90% Vingegaard can beat 100% Roglic. This would be tough. Hard to say anything for sure about Pogacar as he's never done a GT double and no idea what percentage he can reach (but probably not more than those 90%). If Pogacar was 100% preparing for the Tour then 90% Vingo would have small chances but Giro makes it a different situation.
I'm not sure if Vingegaard can win the Tour at 90/95% or if he can beat Roglic and Pogacar with the Giro in his legs. My point is that the plan could be Vingegaard starting the Tour a bit "cooked" and improving during the first 2 weeks and peak in the last week where everything will be decided, since the Tour 2024 is absolutely backloaded. The first 2 weeks will be more about the top riders staying out of trouble.

I think the Tour will start to be decided one week before the finish on Nice at Plateau de beille.

Plateau de Beille-isola 2000-col de la Couillole-final TT, all in the last week, sunday to sunday.

So if he starts a bit "cooked" and he's able to improve day after day, i believe he can fight for the Tour, even if he starts at 90/95%.

I'm thinking in a good possible scenario. My point will not matter if Vingegaard will not be able to recover in time to the Tour. I'm just trying to say that even if doesn't start the tour at 100% i would take him if he were at 90/95%.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I'm not sure if Vingegaard can win the Tour at 90/95% or if he can beat Roglic and Pogacar with the Giro in his legs. My point is that the plan could be Vingegaard starting the Tour a bit "cooked" and improving during the first 2 weeks and peak in the last week where everything will be decided, since the Tour 2024 is absolutely backloaded. The first 2 weeks will be more about the top riders staying out of trouble.

I think the Tour will start to be decided one week before the finish on Nice at Plateau de beille.

Plateau de Beille-isola 2000-col de la Couillole-final TT, all in the last week, sunday to sunday.

So if he starts a bit "cooked" and he's able to improve day after day, i believe he can fight for the Tour, even if he starts at 90/95%.

I'm thinking in a good possible scenario. My point will not matter if Vingegaard will not be able to recover in time to the Tour. I'm just trying to say that even if doesn't start the tour at 100% i would take him if he were at 90/95%.
Where's Remco in that equation?

That's just from his perspective though so it comes down to whether he has a choice. If I was the sponsor I would demand that he was there as long as he is fit enough to ride a bike. Exposure at the Tour is just so much bigger than even a win at the Vuelta.
It's a good thing you're not the sponsor.
I would not be surprised if his contract has specific, guaranteed races where he is featured/protected. If he is recovering from a health issue his medical counsel would, and should supercede any other considerations.
The medieval days of demanding an athlete perform are gone for the front liners.
If he has a personal services contract that requires marketing they certainly could ask him to be at the venues, take pressers and be a sponsor representative.

It's a good thing you're not the sponsor.
I would not be surprised if his contract has specific, guaranteed races where he is featured/protected. If he is recovering from a health issue his medical counsel would, and should supercede any other considerations.
The medieval days of demanding an athlete perform are gone for the front liners.
If he has a personal services contract that requires marketing they certainly could ask him to be at the venues, take pressers and be a sponsor representative.
We're not talking about him recovering from a health issue. He would still need to be fully fit to ride. But he can be fully fit to compete without having the full preparation needed to actually win the overall. People were saying that if he doesn't have the preparation to actually win the whole race then he shouldn't race at all and that is what I'm opposing. If you are 100 % healthy and are in decent racing shape then you better well show up to the biggest competition of the year when you are the biggest star of the team. Simple as that.