• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liege Bastogne Liege-7 hour monument, Sunday, April 21, 2024

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• MVDP

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • MVDP

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • MVDP

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • MVDP

• MVDP

• MVDP

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • MVDP

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • MVDP

• MVDP

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • MVDP

• Total voters
Headwind is what makes group clot together.

Besides, it makes it also less trivial for Pogacar to drop all the others in the first place. It also makes the peloton go slower and thus nerf Pogacars edge in fatigue resistance and flat engine in the final 4h of the race.

There's a reason everyone has waited for RaF before Evenepoel and it's not because Redoute is a naturally great place to attack. And besides, both Evenepoel attacks were with a tailwind IIRC
It's not like the entire peloton is going to stick together until RaF because there is a headwind. So if Pogacar goes on RaF after 240km, it's not like MvdP can sit in the back of a big Alpecin train and wait for others to bring him back. At that time, it will be a reduced group of 10-40 guys and any of the domestiques still there will not be strong enough to control or reel back Pogacar. So whoever still wants to have a chance, will need to get his hands dirty. But who is going to lead a chase into a headwind to catch Pogacar to the benefit of Van der Poel? And all of this is assuming Van der Poel isn't dropped like an hour ago at that point.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I agree with @Red Rick points regarding head-wind race, which usually sticks riders together. The two main questions are:
1) What will be the state of the peleton once Pogacar decides to attack. Will they be able to form organized head-wind chase or will they be too weak and too few to do anything (due to UAE drilling the pace and generally cold conditions when Teddy burns glicogene like none other).

2) Will anybody be explosive enough to jump on Pogacar's wheel when he attacks (it should be easier in the headwind). If so then who will it be? Pogacar can smoke small boys on the line but not a big boy like MVP (in this case he will probably finish a 2-man sprint in the 4th place).

Pogacar to go solo 40 kms out, MVDP to realize he has to prepare specifically for this race in order to win.
Or perhaps prepare the Ardennes a little better for his own good, e.g. by hammering down the worst hills just a tad in levels, offsetting the slight advantage to his biggest competitor...

Not convinced here that MvDP stands a chance to the experts in this race if raced hard, even in his best version...and it's gonna be raced hard on sunday I'm pretty convinced.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Well, Skjelmose doesn't seem to lack confidence...

They came to the shocking conclusion that weight loss has a negative effect in cold circumstances. Who would have thunk it.

I'm all for a bit of banter and such, but these thread starts have begun to really piss me the **** off at this point. I want the route map and profile, maybe start list in the OP. Maybe even a write up as was common years ago on this forum. At this point, just put a link to PCS and be done with it then.

That being said, Pogi to win by a landslide.
I feel personally responsible for this as I started a race thread for fleche wallone whilst out drinking. You know when your friends go back to the bar, it's too early to be on the dancefloor , but you are still already losing hinhibitions. So I went to cn and made a fleche thread. I didn't mean for this to happen, I think I started a bad trend. I want a nice informative forum. I am sorry

I'm all for a bit of banter and such, but these thread starts have begun to really piss me the **** off at this point. I want the route map and profile, maybe start list in the OP. Maybe even a write up as was common years ago on this forum. At this point, just put a link to PCS and be done with it then.

Under no circumstances.

By Redoute he'll be the only rider remaining with all his competitors already in warm buses cheering for him on TV.