• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liege Bastogne Liege-7 hour monument, Sunday, April 21, 2024

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• MVDP

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • MVDP

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • MVDP

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • MVDP

• MVDP

• MVDP

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • MVDP

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • MVDP

• MVDP

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • MVDP

• Total voters
I feel personally responsible for this as I started a race thread for fleche wallone whilst out drinking. You know when your friends go back to the bar, it's too early to be on the dancefloor , but you are still already losing hinhibitions. So I went to cn and made a fleche thread. I didn't mean for this to happen, I think I started a bad trend. I want a nice informative forum. I am sorry
Your Fleche thread was second to none.
Against my better judgement, I have added profiles and a war and peace write up to the OP.

Assuming UAE can keep any dangerous breaks on a leash, impossible to see past Pogacar after the form he's already shown, targeting the Giro and just coming off a stint at altitude. Pogi can win this comfortably. Likely another long range demonstration.

After Amstel it looks like MvdP is past his peak and is zero chance to beat Pogacar at this race. Pogi just needs to pick where to go.

Looking at the profile (thank you topcat), Stockeu looks a good candidate. Its only 1km but 12.5%. The problem is that is 79km from the finish, maybe a bit too far. Redout (1.6km @ 9.4%) is 34km from the finish. That will do. If MvdP can hold Pog's wheel on Redout he will deserve it, But I just can't see it happening.

I am also expecting a strong race by the ever improving Egan Bernal.

Half the UAE team will be in the bus after 100km if it actually will be like 3 - 4 degrees around noon and rain/snow in the Ardennes and Bastogne.

I hope the conditions will be a bit better cause I'm a bit scared for a shortening of the race if it stays like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Skjelmose gonna roll up to the start like this:

2g4f662-64a41dad4d266.jpg

RJH

Apr 18, 2024
Visit site
Hello to everyone, this is my first post here… I like this forum very much, by the way.

Seems they will have similar conditions for La Doyenne like they had at the edition that Poels won… I hope for a full race, without shortening due to the conditions.

LBL is my favourite one-day race in the calendar: one of the best times of the year, great course, strong startlist, great history.

Big favourite might be Pogacar, and I like it that MvdP starts there.

Maybe Pogacar does it like once Di Luca: winning Liege first, then winning the Giro afterwards?…

Kind regards

Well, Skjelmose doesn't seem to lack confidence...

" reageert koeltjes"

Yes, I bet he does :p

Reactions: Didinho
I think there are two chances of a interesting race: 1) one or a few riders really surprise us and cannot be dropped by Pogacar. This can always happen ofcourse, even though its hard to see at the moment.
2) Pogacar runs out of domestiques before the other teams do. Maybe they can start attacking him, or he attacks himself and then they chase him back on the flat. This is even harder to see given his team is quite strong.

Happy days. Then again, lbl is traditionally quite boring whereas Flanders and Roubaix are not. Maybe this is opposite year?

I think there are two chances of a interesting race: 1) one or a few riders really surprise us and cannot be dropped by Pogacar. This can always happen ofcourse, even though its hard to see at the moment.
2) Pogacar runs out of domestiques before the other teams do. Maybe they can start attacking him, or he attacks himself and then they chase him back on the flat. This is even harder to see given his team is quite strong.

Happy days. Then again, lbl is traditionally quite boring whereas Flanders and Roubaix are not. Maybe this is opposite year?
I agree and that he might have difficulty with the weather himself. Not necessarily a DNF but just not being able to ride as well as he normally would

hahahhaha can someone please help me to understand how to post pictures here? That *** there is the most funny post of the day. :tearsofjoy:

Magic!

First of all, you have to be on a computer.
Hold your cursor over the image and right-click.
On the menu that then appears select "copy picture link".

On the forum, select the little icon in the top-menu of the writing section that looks like a little picture with two mountains (or use Ctrl+P)
Then insert the link you copied.

Sure, but he still weighs a lot less than others. His body will feel a bigger impact from the cold
Yeah, Stephen Williams is (at least listed as) 59. His body felt such a big impact that he won FW. Pogacar in comparison is 66.

I really don't think it's about how heavy you are. You either love the cold weather and ride good or you don't feel great and your performance drop.
And some of Pogacar's most impressive performances are in a cold weather. I see no reason to believe that weather conditions will harm him.

Yeah, Stephen Williams is (at least listed as) 59. His body felt such a big impact that he won FW. Pogacar in comparison is 66.

I really don't think it's about how heavy you are. You either love the cold weather and ride good or you don't feel great and your performance drop.
And some of Pogacar's most impressive performances are in a cold weather. I see no reason to believe that weather conditions will harm him.
yeah in fact Pogacar has been at his worst in hot races mostly...