• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
SC vs. Iowa for the title.
I was watching and got pulled into a project with my wife...she doesn't respect my basketball time.

I will say that SC looked pretty frightening today. I have a special dislike for SC (the battle about who is the "real" Carolina...of course there is only one, and it's color is Carolina Blue)...SC is a school built on d!ck jokes, and little else.

I was watching and got pulled into a project with my wife...she doesn't respect my basketball time.

I will say that SC looked pretty frightening today. I have a special dislike for SC (the battle about who is the "real" Carolina...of course there is only one, and it's color is Carolina Blue)...SC is a school built on d!ck jokes, and little else.
ESPN's title is 'Controversial late Offensive Foul Call', but it wasn't the least bit controversial. While it wasn't egregious, you can't set a screen late, and then lean your shoulder and stick your elbow out to impede the defender.

I've seen a few 'let them play' comments from people who should know better, and who would expect that foul called if that screen was set on them.

ESPN's title is 'Controversial late Offensive Foul Call', but it wasn't the least bit controversial. While it wasn't egregious, you can't set a screen late, and then lean your shoulder and stick your elbow out to impede the defender.

I've seen a few 'let them play' comments from people who should know better, and who would expect that foul called if that screen was set on them.
I am a UNC fan...who actually dislikes Michael Jordan, partially for this reason: It was his first season back after he tried to play pro baseball, and the Bulls were playing the Hornets in the playoffs. It was the end of the game, and the Hornets got the ball under the basket, and took a shot, that Jordan blatantly hacked. No call. All across the arms of the shooter (I forget who it was). After the game, he was asked about the hack, and Jordan said that he fouled because he knew the refs wouldn't call it at that ponit in the game. So, non-calls can also decide a game, which is a worse situation in my opinion. I will say that (and I didn't see the game), that if the calls have been loose during the game, and the refs have been letting the teams play, I get miffed when they call something that was a touch foul, in the final minute. That sh!t happens all too frequently.

Reactions: jmdirt
I am a UNC fan...who actually dislikes Michael Jordan, partially for this reason: It was his first season back after he tried to play pro baseball, and the Bulls were playing the Hornets in the playoffs. It was the end of the game, and the Hornets got the ball under the basket, and took a shot, that Jordan blatantly hacked. No call. All across the arms of the shooter (I forget who it was). After the game, he was asked about the hack, and Jordan said that he fouled because he knew the refs wouldn't call it at that ponit in the game. So, non-calls can also decide a game, which is a worse situation in my opinion. I will say that (and I didn't see the game), that if the calls have been loose during the game, and the refs have been letting the teams play, I get miffed when they call something that was a touch foul, in the final minute. That sh!t happens all too frequently.
Moving screens should always be called IMO. The one last night was also very obvious: shoulder lean, 'chicken wing' elbow, knee out. Many of the talking heads are making it seem like without the call UCon would have made the basket and won. Is Buckers a 100% shooter?! No, she shot 37% from three so it is more likely that she would have missed the shot than made the shot (with a defend in her face).

Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense
Moving screens should always be called IMO. The one last night was also very obvious: shoulder lean, 'chicken wing' elbow, knee out. Many of the talking heads are making it seem like without the call UCon would have made the basket and won. Is Buckers a 100% shooter?! No, she shot 37% from three so it is more likely that she would have missed the shot than made the shot (with a defend in her face).
I called the screen before the ref, it was very obvious. UC fans don't like it to end that way; no one else does either.

I called the screen before the ref, it was very obvious. UC fans don't like it to end that way; no one else does either.
I don't care if it ends that way really. Sure, last seconds shots give us a jolt of adrenalin, but a foul call and a missed shot are the same, IMO. The only reason I wish that they would have let it go is because she likely would have missed the shot (maybe even had it blocked), and then the talking heads would have to create something else to fill broadcast time/social media space.

I don't care if it ends that way really. Sure, last seconds shots give us a jolt of adrenalin, but a foul call and a missed shot are the same, IMO. The only reason I wish that they would have let it go is because she likely would have missed the shot (maybe even had it blocked), and then the talking heads would have to create something else to fill broadcast time/social media space.
Oh the talking heads would create something out of whole cloth to get fans involved. That's their job but in a too-serious social mediascape eventually the responses go to the insane level. No one cheated so why compromise. Also; why would hate responses go to a player in a game where the same foul got called on both teams. She's a college kid that doesn't deserve the vitriol.
Just finished the UConn/Alabama game and marveled at how many fouls weren't called. Not chippy stuff but muggings on scoring plays. It seemed fairly equal in officiating and probably won't raise a peep out of the angrier fans because UConn dominated.

Entertaining game.
Keys to SC's win:
GLASS
Bench

Turning point IMO: two point game, Iowa had a fast break, missed the layup that would have tied it up, SC hit a three off of the rebound. Five point turn around, followed by a 9-2 run. Iowa did make a run and get it back down, but that took all that they had left.

I hope that the fans who came for Clark hang around for a few years!

Entertaining game.
Keys to SC's win:
GLASS
Bench

Turning point IMO: two point game, Iowa had a fast break, missed the layup that would have tied it up, SC hit a three off of the rebound. Five point turn around, followed by a 9-2 run. Iowa did make a run and get it back down, but that took all that they had left.

I hope that the fans who came for Clark hang around for a few years!
That and they couldn't finish a layup for most of the 2nd half and had almost no offensive rebounds in the 3rd qtr. Hard to win that way. Every good pass meant to draw heat off Clark was rejected by NCs serious defense. I didn't see the first half but her typical top of the key 3 was defensed well enough she had to shoot about 1-2' deeper on the arc in the second half than against UConn. They got beat by a tougher defense and it shouldn't have been that close.

Still a great season for both teams and NC's Coach paid great tribute to the load Clark carried for Women's sports. Great to hear that.

Well, this will be one of the most intriguing playoffs in the nba in a while. A lot of good matchups early, including the play in to see who makes it in as 7th and 8th seeds.

Celtics will play either the Heat or Sixers. It wouldn’t be the greatest shock in the world to see them lose in the first round. The Heat took them out in the ECF last season, and playing a team like that earlier rather than later could be a real problem.

The Thunder are the #1 seed out west but they could end up playing the Lakers or Warriors. There could certainly be some fireworks in that series.

For me, the Nuggets are the favorites. They are the defending champs, Jokić is likely to win his 3rd mvp (should be 4th, as last year he was robbed) and if they are healthy, I have a hard time seeing anyone beating them in a 7 game series.

Reactions: Nomad
Well, this will be one of the most intriguing playoffs in the nba in a while. A lot of good matchups early, including the play in to see who makes it in as 7th and 8th seeds.

Celtics will play either the Heat or Sixers. It wouldn’t be the greatest shock in the world to see them lose in the first round. The Heat took them out in the ECF last season, and playing a team like that earlier rather than later could be a real problem.

The Thunder are the #1 seed out west but they could end up playing the Lakers or Warriors. There could certainly be some fireworks in that series.

For me, the Nuggets are the favorites. They are the defending champs, Jokić is likely to win his 3rd mvp (should be 4th, as last year he was robbed) and if they are healthy, I have a hard time seeing anyone beating them in a 7 game series.
Celtics have no excuses. They simply have to get it done but agree that Denver are probably the more stable team in the playoffs. OKC getting closer, maybe in the next few seasons. Playoffs will test aging teams like the Lakers and Warriors especially in long series. The Suns are not the team they were, the Knicks have improved and the most interesting one might be how the Timberwolves go.

Reactions: Nomad
Got bored, made a bracket.

Lakers over Pelicans
Warriors over Kings
Warriors over Pelicans

Sixers over Heat
Bulls over Hawks
Heat over Bulls
-----------------------------------------
Warriors (8) over Thunder (1) in 6
Nuggets (2) over Lakers (7) in 5
Wolves (3) over Suns (6) in 6
Mavericks (5) over Clippers (4) in 5

Mavericks (5) over Warriors (8) in 5
Nuggets (2) over Wolves (3) in 6

Nuggets (2) over Mavericks (5) in 6
Celtics (1) over Heat (8) in 5
Knicks (2) over Sixers (7) in 7
Bucks (3) over Pacers (6) in 7
Cavaliers (4) over Magic (5) in 5

Celtics (1) over Cavaliers (4) in 5
Knicks (2) over Bucks (3) in 5

Celtics (1) over Knicks (2) in 6
Nuggets over Celtics in 6 (Jokic FMVP)

This ban was brought to you by FanDuel, official partner of the NBA.

Look, I understand it is terrible for the integrity of the league and a ban is warranted, but there is a wife beater (Bridges), a crypto scammer (Fox) and a probable pedophile (Giddey) running around in the league and this is where Silver draws the line? Insane.