• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 479 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I need to sit with this a little longer, maybe get a different perspective, but this is my initial gut reaction...

If this isn't clinic worthy I don't know what would be. Not only did she crush Laukli, Astrid O. Slind 3:15 back, Heidi Weng 3:34 among others. Even if some of this might be attributed to Laukli et al perhaps being tired from a long WC season, this is an absolutely ridiculous level by Johaug. These aren't just any three random skiers she just nuked, all are solidly near the very top of the World Cup, and I imagine a classic interval start would have been even worse. Is there a single woman in the world who could have lived with this today? Jeez.

What Nordic really needs right now IMHO is the Russians and the viewership that comes along with them (I'm speaking purely from a sporting perspective, for the sake of argument just keeping politics out of it for the moment. Please no hate mail.). More competition, more viewers. The LAST thing it needs on the woman's side, just my .02 here, is Therese Johaug coming back and destroying everyone seemingly at will. I can't imagine being interested in watching that, and I'm a big fan of the sport. For anyone who thinks Jessie Diggins' personality is forced, you REALLY want to see forced, let's just have more of Johaug screaming "JA!!!" at the top of her lungs crossing the line after obliterating the field, as though the outcome was ever in doubt.

Couldn't care less about those Russians, specially in women's side of the sport. The issues which need to be resolved in order for this sport to attain a positive outlook for the future have almost nothing to do with one nation being present or not.

But even with those problems taken into account, the sport would still be in much better place with Johaug staying retired, despite all her star power and appeal.

Reactions: dobrien
Couldn't care less about those Russians, specially in women's side of the sport. The issues which need to be resolved in order for this sport to attain a positive outlook for the future have almost nothing to do with one nation being present or not.

But even with those problems taken into account, the sport would still be in much better place with Johaug staying retired, despite all her star power and appeal.

We don’t care that you don’t care

It was a great figth between Sundling and Svahn today in the national championship.

Here is the final part of it (hoppfully this available without VPN) https://www.svt.se/nyheter/video/8e...=WyJhc3RyaWQtdmlkZW9wbGF5bGlzdCIsIjE4amg2bSJd

As the shattered field indicate it was a great fight all the way from start as Sundling tried to wear Svahn down.

The level of those two and Skistad compared to the rest is just insane.
Looks like Sundling lost by changing her lane so late.

From a sporting point of view the Russians is a big miss on the mens side because it leaves the Norwegians to dominate. Of course would it be harder for Klæbo & co if Bolshunov and the gang is racing as well, but I'm not sure if the general view in the other countries except Norway would be that Russians make the sport more interesting.

If we look at this season and the nice "underdogs" moments:
- Perttu Hyvarinen winning in Toblach
- Gus Schumacher winning in Minneapolis
- Moch 2nd in Tour de Ski
- Andrew Musgrave 2nd in Trondheim
- Poroma 2nd in Val di Fiemme
- Lapalus 3rd in Tour de Ski
- Lapierre 3rd in Goms (Lapierre in Alpe Cermis I think would happen even with Russians, he could definitively beat Spitsov)
- Faendrich 3rd in Val di Fiemme
- Vermeulen 3rd in Canmore

How many of these wouldn't have happened if the Russians were here?
With the return of Russians we will likely see much harder battles between the Norwegians and the Russians about the victory, but it means it will be much harder for the underdogs.

I'm obviously not saying that Russians should stay banned because it makes it easier for surprises like this, I'm just saying that without the Russians we as TV-viewers got a lot of good underdog stories this season.

I wonder when the decision will be taken. In the Falun episode of FasterSkier it didn't seem like they thought Russia necessarily will be back next season.

Looks like Sundling lost by changing her lane so late.

From a sporting point of view the Russians is a big miss on the mens side because it leaves the Norwegians to dominate. Of course would it be harder for Klæbo & co if Bolshunov and the gang is racing as well, but I'm not sure if the general view in the other countries except Norway would be that Russians make the sport more interesting.

If we look at this season and the nice "underdogs" moments:
- Perttu Hyvarinen winning in Toblach
- Gus Schumacher winning in Minneapolis
- Moch 2nd in Tour de Ski
- Andrew Musgrave 2nd in Trondheim
- Poroma 2nd in Val di Fiemme
- Lapalus 3rd in Tour de Ski
- Lapierre 3rd in Goms (Lapierre in Alpe Cermis I think would happen even with Russians, he could definitively beat Spitsov)
- Faendrich 3rd in Val di Fiemme
- Vermeulen 3rd in Canmore

How many of these wouldn't have happened if the Russians were here?
With the return of Russians we will likely see much harder battles between the Norwegians and the Russians about the victory, but it means it will be much harder for the underdogs.

I'm obviously not saying that Russians should stay banned because it makes it easier for surprises like this, I'm just saying that without the Russians we as TV-viewers got a lot of good underdog stories this season.

I wonder when the decision will be taken. In the Falun episode of FasterSkier it didn't seem like they thought Russia necessarily will be back next season.

From the active Russians that have had World Cup podiums: Bolshunov, Ustiugov, Belov, Spitsov, Yakimushkin, Chervotkin, Semikov, Poroshkin, Terentev, Retivykh, Volzhentsev, Melnichenko, Maltsev, Krasnov. Then you have younger guys that have won gold medals at U23’s and/or world juniors in the last 4 years (well, 2020-2022): Ardashev, Korostelev, Denisov, Ivshin, Rodionov.
Current Russian races haven’t shown too many juniors in the top 20, a couple instances of top 30 results, but without international races nobody knows how good they are.

I may be missing some names, but I think this covers a good chunk, at least.

From the active Russians that have had World Cup podiums: Bolshunov, Ustiugov, Belov, Spitsov, Yakimushkin, Chervotkin, Semikov, Poroshkin, Terentev, Retivykh, Volzhentsev, Melnichenko, Maltsev, Krasnov. Then you have younger guys that have won gold medals at U23’s and/or world juniors in the last 4 years (well, 2020-2022): Ardashev, Korostelev, Denisov, Ivshin, Rodionov.
Current Russian races haven’t shown too many juniors in the top 20, a couple instances of top 30 results, but without international races nobody knows how good they are.

I may be missing some names, but I think this covers a good chunk, at least.
Sorry, but I don’t see what this list has to do with my post. My post was about people that think cross country on the men’s side is “Only Norway” might experience that “Only Norway and Russia” gives even less variation in countries/skiers on the podium during the season.

Reactions: BigCoward
Sorry, but I don’t see what this list has to do with my post. My post was about people that think cross country on the men’s side is “Only Norway” might experience that “Only Norway and Russia” gives even less variation in countries/skiers on the podium during the season.

It means a lot of contenders are missing, opening the door for those that you mentioned above. Not saying that those you mentioned aren’t capable of getting on the podium even with a full field, just saying that their path is made easier.

Mar 27, 2024
Visit site

Fis published the 2024/25 and 2025/26 calendar ski world cup:​

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/xcworldcup/comments/1bp36rs/fis_published_the_202425_and_202526_calendar_ski/

calendar 2024/25:
29.11. Fri Ruka FIN
30.11. Sat Ruka FIN
01.12. Sun Ruka FIN
06.12. Fri Lillehammer NOR
07.12. Sat Lillehammer NOR
08.12. Sun Lillehammer NOR
13.12. Fri Davos SUI
14.12. Sat Davos SUI
15.12. Sun Davos SUI
Period II
Tour de Ski
28.12. Sat Goms SUI
29.12. Sun Goms SUI
31.12. Tue Toblach ITA
01.01. Wed Toblach ITA
03.01. Fri Val di Fiemme ITA
04.01. Sat Val di Fiemme ITA
05.01. Sun Val di Fiemme ITA Final Climb
Period III
18.01. Fri Les Rousses FRA
19.01. Sat Les Rousses FRA
20.01. Sun Les Rousses FRA
24.01. Fri Oberstdorf GER
25.01. Sat Oberstdorf GER
26.01. Sun Oberstdorf GER
31.01. Fri Nove Mesto CZE
01.02 Sat Nove Mesto CZE
02.02 Sun Nove Mesto CZE
14.02. Fri Falun SWE
15.02. Sat Falun SWE
16.02. Sun Falun SWE
26.02. –
09.03 WSC Trondheim 2025, NOR
Period IV
14.03. Fri Oslo NOR
15.03 Sat Oslo NOR
16.03. Sun Oslo NOR
18.03 Tue Tallinn EST
21.03. Fri Lahti FIN
22.03. Sat Lahti FIN
23.03. Sun Lahti FIN
calendar 2025/26:
28.11. Fri Ruka FIN
29.11. Sat Ruka FIN
30.11. Sun Ruka FIN
05.12. Fri SWE (Östersund?)
06.12. Sat SWE (Östersund?)
07.12. Sun SWE (Östersund?)
12.12. Fri Trondheim NOR
13.12. Sat Trondheim NOR
14.12. Sun Trondheim NOR
Period II
Tour de Ski 4-Hills
28.12. Sun Lenzerheide
29.12 Mon Lenzerheide
31.12. Wed Toblach ITA
01.01. Thu Toblach ITA
03.01. Sat Val di Fiemme ITA
04.01. Sun Val di Fiemme ITA
Period III
16.01. Fri GER (Oberstdorf?)
17.01. Sat GER (Oberstdorf?)
18.01. Sun GER (Oberstdorf?)
23.01. Fri SUI (Davos?)
24.01. Sat SUI (Davos?)
25.01. Sun SUI (Davos?)
04.02. –
22.02.2026 Olympic Winter Games 2026, Milano-Cortina (ITA)
Period IV
28.02. Sat Lahti FIN
01.03. Sun Lahti FIN
06.03. Fri Falun SWE
07.03 Sat Falun SWE
08.03 Sun Falun SWE
12.03. Thu Drammen NOR
14.03 Sat Oslo NOR
15.03. Sun Oslo NOR
20.03. Fri Lake Placid USA
21.03. Sat Lake Placid USA
22.03. Sun Lake Placid USA

Reactions: sevenall
I reckon that if Johaug returns to the World Championships next year or to the Olympics the year after, she can still get a few medals.
I don´t think she can resist the chance of racing a 50km on home soil next season. However her priorities are very different now as a mother. She has a good support system around her if she really wants to go for it. Her brother has indicated that she is on half the hours she used to train, but she could ramp it up for this coming season. If she focuses only on the championships and doesn´t do any World Cup I think she can keep it going for as long as she likes.