• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 195 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If you know anything about Wout van Aert, you know that he won't give up after this. His main strength is his mentality. Fighting against a more physically gifted rival has taught him this. And it's not like this is a Chris Froome or Egan Bernal type of injury, where it's the question whether he can even ride his bike again.

He has already had such an injury, after he crashed into the barrier in the Tour time trial. That was serious. The doctors wondered whether he could even walk, let alone ride his bike. This is nothing compared to that.
I think sometimes, his main weakness is his mentality.

• Sad
Reactions: noob
Ribs are probably worse than the collarbone.

That can annoy you for months.
Not sure about that. I've shattered a collarbone and the surgery and recovery is not easy. Guessing his collarbone fracture is not that bad, but that was a really ugly crash as he went directly to the tarmac - no sliding at all. Not sure this is one of those collarbone breaks where pros are back on the bike the day after surgery. I've also broke 8 ribs with a pneumo and that wasn't too bad - and of course no surgery with ribs. Regardless, I'm rooting for him to get back and get a big win.

Well, for one, MVDP is more gifted in the sport they both competed in as youngsters, cyclocross. MVDP also happens to be world champion on the road, can't remember a lot of cobbles in that race :)

I like both riders, but if I had the choice, I'd rather be MVDP. Probably even Van Aert would agree.
Wout has dropped Pogacar in the mountains, won the TT and the sprint on the Champs Elisse, don't remember where MVDP was in those races. 😉

Wout has dropped Pogacar in the mountains, won the TT and the sprint on the Champs Elisse, don't remember where MVDP was in those races. 😉
I normally already get sick and tired of those Wout vs Mathieu discussions, but a day after Wouts hardest crash in his career I find them even more irritating and misplaced. They're both fantastic riders with a similar, yet slightly different skillset on the bike. Let's cherish those two effing big champions every race they are able to battle each other and let's lament the fact that this is not the case in the two most epic one day races coming up upcoming and next Sunday.

So the medical bulletin got worse:

broke 7 ribs, a collarbone, a scapula (shoulder) and a fracture in the thorax.

The crack in the thorax indicates the impact was very, very hard and the first and foremost thing that should heal in order to make a full comeback is his thorax and ribs so he can breathe without pain, and, as importantly, the crack in his thorax shouldn't result in reduced breathing capacity after healing.

The collarbone, even though I have no details, will in 99% of cases not be an issue post-op as it will be fixed with a plate so no movement = not even a lot of pain anymore.

The shoulder... This depends of whether the blade is broken or the joint. The joint (with the clavicula) is worse (especially for shouldering the bike in CX).

Recovery won't be any less than a full month as the thorax takes longer to heal. So the soonest he'll get on a bike, competitively, will be end of June.

I normally already get sick and tired of those Wout vs Mathieu discussions, but a day after Wouts hardest crash in his career I find them even more irritating and misplaced. They're both fantastic riders with a similar, yet slightly different skillset on the bike. Let's cherish those two effing big champions every race they are able to battle each other and let's lament the fact that this is not the case in the two most epic one day races coming up upcoming and next Sunday.
Take it easy. It's a forum, to debate matters. If anything, I find it unjust to say so and so is more talented and simply wanted to point out it depends on how you look at it and, from that point of view, Wout is arguably more talented, but certainly more versatile.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The crack in the thorax indicates the impact was very, very hard and the first and foremost thing that should heal in order to make a full comeback is his thorax and ribs so he can breathe without pain, and, as importantly, the crack in his thorax shouldn't result in reduced breathing capacity after healing.

The collarbone, even though I have no details, will in 99% of cases not be an issue post-op as it will be fixed with a plate so no movement = not even a lot of pain anymore.

The shoulder... This depends of whether the blade is broken or the joint. The joint (with the clavicula) is worse (especially for shouldering the bike in CX).

Recovery won't be any less than a full month as the thorax takes longer to heal. So the soonest he'll get on a bike, competitively, will be end of June.

That's nasty. I think at this point he should just 'heal up' & not even be thinking of any further goals this season.

Take it easy. It's a forum, to debate matters. If anything, I find it unjust to say so and so is more talented and simply wanted to point out it depends on how you look at it and, from that point of view, Wout is arguably more talented, but certainly more versatile.
Ain't no one taking it easier than I am. Just find the MvdP vs WvA tribal conflict/debate an utter nuisance, and on a forum, that's allowed.

OT: with the latest medical update shared by Volderke I'm afraid even the Tour will be too early.

Last edited:

I take it by thorax you mean the sternum or the pneumothorax

I take it by thorax you mean the sternum or the pneumothorax
That’s what I’m thinking too since the thorax is just the term for your chest. But if it is a pneumothorax (which is likely with the impact and his broken ribs) he’ll have a chest tube for awhile to in order to drain the blood and/or air from the cavity.

A very terrible crash for WVA unfortunately and a season lost :(
Hopefully he’s able to recover from this.

It's too early to set new goals for this season, but depending on his recovery there are still some nice goals to go for. Starting with the Olympics. He might be able to get to 100% for it, and he has a shot at 2 medals. With the Giro he wanted to try something new, and go for some stage wins, and probably a jersey. You can still do that at the Vuelta, also a GT, and you can check that off your checklist. After that he might be in great shape and go for the WC ITT.

That would still be an amazing season if he's able to win an olympic medal and go for the WC ITT.

He shouldn't think about that now, the wound is too fresh, but for us outsiders it's easier to contemplate the rest of his season already.

• Sad
This could be an absolute disaster for the Belgian Olympics team too, Van Aert, Stuyven, De Lie all in bad shape. This wasn't the way it was meant to go down, we were all looking forward to the team imploding on the road, tactics being questioned, inquests being called, public apologies and maybe even a crucifixion or two :(
And all because their teams decided to send them to fking Dwars door Vlanderen 4 days before De Ronde.

The race programme of wva this spring was very silly. Sending stuyven to that race when he already has a very active e3 and gw was also strange.

I’ve got this sinking feeling wva will never be the same after this

We'll see.

What's certain is it happened at the worst possible moment for him. There's never a 'right' time to get demolished in a crash of course but WvA had a disappointing 2023 season by his standards. He'd lost his coach as well (followed Rog to Bora) & was on a new schedule/program aiming to peak in the spring monuments.

He needed a confidence boost so this is a real setback.

And all because their teams decided to send them to fking Dwars door Vlanderen 4 days before De Ronde.

The race programme of wva this spring was very silly. Sending stuyven to that race when he already has a very active e3 and gw was also strange.

Yes and now we won't get to see Remco Evenepoel going in a doomed break with 200km to go featuring Łukasz Wiśniowski, Harry Sweeny and some Kosovan refugees because he was 'riding for Wout' :(