• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

State of the Peloton 2024

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nairoman just can't catch a break

The Arkéa-Samsic/Nairo Quintana affair? “An old story,” said, until recently, a figure in the peloton. Many players in French cycling thought that this investigation, opened after a search during the 2020 Tour de France, had yielded nothing. On the contrary. According to our information, Nairo Quintana's doctor, Fredy Alexander Gonzales Torres, will be tried on September 2, 2024, in Marseille.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99
Franck Bonnamour AGDecathlon provsionnaly suspended because of an Adverse Analytical Finding

first WT biopassport violation in a long time. i have a feeling a lot more of these are coming.

• Love
Reactions: Ilmaestro99
first WT biopassport violation in a long time. i have a feeling a lot more of these are coming.

It's apparently based on an analysis of his 2021 readings, *** knows what the UCI have been doing but they appear to be a bit behind on some paperwork given this and the Rob Stannard case.

His strength was a little sus I suppose but he doesn't even register on the radar of suspicion in comparison with what's going on in cycling at the moment. It's like they've popped someone randomly to make it look legit and keep people on their toes, I doubt anyone is trawling through the data thinking **** come over here and check this Franck Bonnamour character tearing it up for B&B Hotels in a 2021 French vineyard race.

Last edited:
It's apparently based on an analysis of his 2021 readings, *** knows what the UCI have been doing but they appear to be a bit behind on some paperwork given this and the Rob Stannard case.

His strength was a little sus I suppose but he doesn't even register on the radar of suspicion in comparison with what's going on in cycling at the moment. It's like they've popped someone randomly to make it look legit and keep people on their toes, I doubt anyone is trawling through the data thinking **** come over here and check this Franck Bonnamour character tearing it up for B&B Hotels in a 2021 French vineyard race.
Bio passport is being improved all the time and continually retrospectively looking back in time. It might find enough evidence as soon as the rider enters the testing pool turning pro, or in 1 year, or 10 years. It might have a case open on a rider for several years until enough evidence gained to prove a violation.
Some misunderstanding how WADA Results Management works too. No positive riders name is known by UCI, Bio Passport or WADA Labs, it's all nameless until WADA release the notification of a positive / abp violation. UCI have no control other than they map the code to a name to find out who it is for notification. UCI cannot hide a result, because they have to adhere to WADA results management and that means no result can be hidden otherwise UCI would no longer be a WADA signatory and so most-definitely lose Olympic status which is really all UCI have in cycling.

Interesting that it was 2021 when a certain Dane became a Tour contender.

Talking of Visma, I wonder if Danny Townsend and the Saudi money men will have some clause on people getting busted in their proposed Onecycling circus? As Saudi Arabia executes drug offenders, it would be interesting to read a statement from SRJ on this. (Yeah, I know, I expect a "we will follow all the WADA and UCI norms blah blah blah, but behind the scenes I would expect a "no more money for you!" if a major scandal breaks out)

Talking of Visma, I wonder if Danny Townsend and the Saudi money men will have some clause on people getting busted in their proposed Onecycling circus? As Saudi Arabia executes drug offenders, it would be interesting to read a statement from SRJ on this. (Yeah, I know, I expect a "we will follow all the WADA and UCI norms blah blah blah, but behind the scenes I would expect a "no more money for you!" if a major scandal breaks out)
What difference does the Saudi connection make? More money, more incentive to dope. More money, more incentive to cover up doping. This is true across all sports and all sources of money.

And that's starting with the baseline that people will cheat even when there's no monetary incentive whatsoever (masters racing, zwift racing, etc).

Reactions: Bolder
I am sure he is elite but as I don’t follow decathlon I’ve never heard of Franck Bonnamour. Meanwhile the Tour de France has been won the last two years by a 60 kilogram skeleton with a time trial claimed by his fans to be better than 78 kilogram Miguel Indurain?

Rides in strong winds back in Denmark toughened Skeletor up.

17A8wBe.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cookster15
I am sure he is elite but as I don’t follow decathlon I’ve never heard of Franck Bonnamour. Meanwhile the Tour de France has been won the last two years by a 60 kilogram skeleton with a time trial claimed by his fans to be better than 78 kilogram Miguel Indurain?

How can I make this about Vingegaard?

Antwan Tolhoek tested positive for anabolic steroids

edit: the test took place on November 27th, one day later it was announced that he'd sign for Sabgal / Anicolor

What difference does the Saudi connection make? More money, more incentive to dope. More money, more incentive to cover up doping. This is true across all sports and all sources of money.

And that's starting with the baseline that people will cheat even when there's no monetary incentive whatsoever (masters racing, zwift racing, etc).
Exactly. Although a general lack of money vis a vis other sports hasn't been a deterrent in the past...

Is it just me or is there a sudden increase in the percentage of riders getting popped? In last few days we've had Franck Bonnamour & now Tolhoek.

It must all be food contaminations. Has to be.
Given how different these two cases are, it's probably just a coincidence.

Tolhoek has been caught doping before, btw. Well, not exactly doping, but he was suspended by Jumbo because he violated their internal rules. He used a sleeping aid.

[Citation needed]
The obvious one is the addition of the steroidal side to the passport in 2014. Or a couple of years ago all labs were upgraded with machines capable of detecting much smaller levels in blood and so where a null entry would have been made into your passport, it now actually has a reading. While a reading itself might not be above a WADA threshold triggering a provisional suspension, it can be a good indication that doping has happened and so trigger more anti-doping controls on that athlete, more random OOC visits, see patterns in time of day/week/month etc and so build enough evidence for a case that will stand up if it went to CAS.