• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 545 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So who was 3rd in Liege 2020 then?

As @QueenStagiaire said, Pogačar wasn't necessarily focused on Liège given that it came just 2 weeks after the biggest win in his career. I wouldn't argue that Van der Poel was focused on Lombardia just because he rode it in 2020 either.

Just some stats, Pogačar has 6 monuments wins out of 14 starts while Van der Poel has 6 monuments out of 18 starts so Pogačar has been clearly the most effective of the two on the biggest WT one day races.

Van der Poel has one thing that in my opinion puts him up there with Pogačar though, his World title last year. However even in major Championships, Pogačar has already a bronze medal on both the Worlds and the Olympics.

As @QueenStagiaire said, Pogačar wasn't necessarily focused on Liège given that it came just 2 weeks after the biggest win in his career. I wouldn't argue that Van der Poel was focused on Lombardia just because he rode it in 2020 either.

Just some stats, Pogačar has 6 monuments wins out of 14 starts while Van der Poel has 6 monuments out of 18 starts so Pogačar has been clearly the most effective of the two on the biggest WT one day races.

Van der Poel has one thing that in my opinion puts him up there with Pogačar though, his World title last year. However even in major Championships, Pogačar has already a bronze medal on both the Worlds and the Olympics.
That one thing puts him above Pogacar.
And I don't give a damn who's focusing on what, we're talking about best classics rider of the current peloton, and that's Van Der Poel.

Once again 'best one day racer' is being rather undefined so you get a lot of arguments about palmares vs ability. I wouldn't deny Van der Poel has the better 1 day palmares, but he doesn't have the superior ability by any stretch IMO. Monument stats always get skewed by how easy RvV and PR are to farm together, especially when your main rivals crash out/don't compete. In addition, a far majority of WC routes is geared towards RvV archetype riders rather than LBL archetype riders.

In Roubaix and Ronde sure.
In Liege and Lombardia opposite of sure.
Hum, one has 2 Lombardias, the other has a fantastic 0 names written in Lombardia's trophy...
Different course? Yes, but still a very hard one. 2011 Gilbert would cook Valverde with one leg. We are talking about ability, the difference in panache is even bigger. One is a charismatic attacking rider, the other is just an uphill sprinter.

Hum, one has 2 Lombardias, the other has a fantastic 0 names written in Lombardia's trophy...
Different course? Yes, but still a very hard one. 2011 Gilbert would cook Valverde with one leg. We are talking about ability, the difference in panache is even bigger. One is a charismatic attacking rider, the other is just an uphill sprinter.

Valverde's absence in 2011 was the reason Gilbert stood that much out.

Reactions: SHAD0W93