• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 964 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
It's bad for LBL that Remco is not there. There would be a lot more excitement before the race. Duel with Teddy cancelled for the 3rd year in a row. Sometimes it seems they race in two different tours, meeting only once or twice a year.
That Itzulia crash pretty much messed up the season for everyone. I'm still processing it, actually. Can you imagine a F1 crash that essentially ended the seasons for Verstappen, Hamilton and Alonso, plus a few key backmarkers?

Absolutely, instead an anticipated and hilarious face-off between the very big favorites of hilly classics (Remco, Roglic, Ala, etc) and some of the all time greats of spring classics (WVA, MVDP,) we shall see a diminished start field. Let's hope they all will be at their best at the TDF, Olympics and later races

Absolutely, instead an anticipated and hilarious face-off between the very big favorites of hilly classics (Remco, Roglic, Ala, etc) and some of the all time greats of spring classics (WVA, MVDP,) we shall see a diminished start field. Let's hope they all will be at their best at the TDF, Olympics and later races
On the other hand, some might be pleased now that they don't have to suffer the cold, rain, wind ans snow of the Ardennes.

Usually you never ride a race the day after coming back... He'll be good 7 days later, a the start of the tour. Here he has to because of stupid belgian federation rules.
Some riders are good immediately after an altitude period. So, one to three days after (f.i. Van Sevenant). Those riders then experience a relapse from day 4 to day 10 (just about). To become better again two weeks after coming back from altitude. Others (the most) have to recover from fatigue, the travelling back, the adjustment to a different regime. Impossible to perform ( races and training) immediately after coming back from altitude. After a week to 10 days they become stronger and then fully enjoy the results of the altitude training.
So, in practice, the riders of the first group, can participate only at a one dayrace immediately after the altitude period. But NOT at a stage race. They have to wait two weeks for that. The riders of the second group can't participate at a one dayrace nor at a stagerace the days after coming back from altitude. But they can after 10 days.

It's bad for LBL that Remco is not there. There would be a lot more excitement before the race. Duel with Teddy cancelled for the 3rd year in a row. Sometimes it seems they race in two different tours, meeting only once or twice a year.
It's especially bad for Van der Poel and the delusional souls who believe he could actually compete with Pogacar or Evenepoel in a 1v1 in Liège. With both of them there, there is always that slight chance that they'd cancel each other out, one can't drop the other (or only briefly), let the tempo drop and chasers can get closer. Basically how Van der Poel won Amstel in 2019. Except that with Roche Aux Faucons so close to the finish, i can't fathom a scenario where Van der Poel would win with either Pogacar or Evenepoel there.

It's especially bad for Van der Poel and the delusional souls who believe he could actually compete with Pogacar or Evenepoel in a 1v1 in Liège. With both of them there, there is always that slight chance that they'd cancel each other out, one can't drop the other (or only briefly), let the tempo drop and chasers can get closer. Basically how Van der Poel won Amstel in 2019. Except that with Roche Aux Faucons so close to the finish, i can't fathom a scenario where Van der Poel would win with either Pogacar or Evenepoel there.
Whether MvP can beat everyone will be addressed with this LbL. Unless there are some serious mechanicals or crashes it seems there is nowhere to hide for either favorite. That's exciting enough until one of them goes solo with 100km to go.

Logic having a seizure upon hearing Remco having 5 or 6 scoops of ice-cream.
There is no way anybody eats 6 scoops of icecream, he's just saying that to rile me up. We have this thing going Remco and me. Me and the Remster. I will say he's too fat here on the forum and he will say in a podcast he wants to become fatter. He knows i'll listen to it, and i know he'll be reading my posts, probably has an alert set every time i post. It's just a thing we do, you know.

There is no way anybody eats 6 scoops of icecream, he's just saying that to rile me up. We have this thing going Remco and me. Me and the Remster. I will say he's too fat here on the forum and he will say in a podcast he wants to become fatter. He knows i'll listen to it, and i know he'll be reading my posts, probably has an alert set every time i post. It's just a thing we do, you know.
You’re right, I eat 7 since 6 isn’t enough and 8 is pushing it.