• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2024 (March 18-24)

The best route I can remember this race having, but will it even matter with Pogacar there in an otherwise slightly underwhelming field?

Also, get ready to miss a whole bunch of action because the broadcasts are quite possibly the shortest of any WT stage race. The hardest climb of the race, Coll de Pradell, will be completed mostly, if not entirely, off-camera.

Startlist

Schedule

DateStageStartBroadcast startETA
Monday, March 18112:2515:0016:21 - 16:44
Tuesday, March 19211:5015:0016:21 - 16:49
Wednesday, March 20311:5015:0016:21 - 16:49
Thursday, March 21412:4015:0016:25 - 16:46
Friday, March 22513:2515:5517:18 - 17:39
Saturday, March 23612:3015:0016:21 - 16:45
Sunday, March 24710:3012:2513:48 - 14:07

The route
a7294

Stage 1: Sant Feliu de Guíxols - Sant Feliu de Guíxols, 173.9k

For the fourth time in five editions, the race heads to Sant Feliu de Guíxols. This finish was won by Michael Matthews in both 2019 and 2022 (the latter stage is forever tainted by what happened to Colbrelli right after the finish), but last year it was Roglic who beat Evenepoel in a big sprint, setting the scene for the rest of that edition. This year, they enter town from the opposite side, so only the final kilometre is the same.
0c482

Romanyà de la Selva (the uncategorised one early on)
RomanyaDeLaSelvaSW.gif

Alt de la Ganga
Ganga.gif

Alt dels Angels (until the junction to Girona right near the end)
ElsAngels.gif

Alt de Sant Grau
MontagutN.gif

La Dona Espenyada (main uncategorised climb between the final KOM and the finish)
Link (can’t load images from Climbfinder anymore for some reason)

Finish
wqgo2WS.png

Stage 2: Mataró - Vallter / Setcases, 186.5k

The mountains start really early this time round, with a return to Vallter 2000. It’s a regular MTF here, most recently seen just last year when Giulio Ciccone surprised us all by beating Roglic and Evenepoel in a virtually identical stage.
e522c

Coll de Caselles (the long, uncategorised drag out of Banyoles)
CasellesE.gif

Coll de Coubet (KOM there, but ridden in full):
SantigosaE.gif

Vallter 2000:
vallter.PNG

Stage 3: Sant Joan de les Abdesses - Port Ainé, 176.7k

Back-to-back big MTFs in the first half of the race? You’d better believe it. This one was last seen in 2021, when Esteban Chaves took his (currently) final non-NC win.
25a88

Port de Toses
tosesxtoses.png

Port de Cantó
CantoE.gif

Port Ainé
PortAine.gif

Stage 4: Sort - Lleida, 169.0k
A breather. The sprint is the slight uphill seen in every Lleida stage, much easier than the Stage 1 finish.

12c32

Port d’Ager
Link

Stage 5: Altafulla - Viladecans The Style Outlets, 167.3k
The Sponsored Content Stage. The final climb is the one where Roglic and Evenepoel broke away last year before Roglic refusing to pull caused things to come back together for a sprint won by Kaden Groves.
6af81

Coll de Les Ventoses
TalaiaS.gif

Alt Sant Llorenç d’Hortons
116-sant%20llorens%20hortons-sant%20sadurni.jpg

Alt de la Creu d’Aragall
creuaragall01.PNG

(Stages 6 and 7 in the next post)

Stage 6: Berga - Queralt, 154.7k

The best stage they’ve ever come up with.
89bdf

Coll de la Batallola
batallola01.PNG

Collet de Cal Ros (first 10k only)
creueta01.PNG

Coll de Pradell
pradell01.PNG

Collada de Sant Isidre
santisidre01.PNG

Queralt (they leave the profile after 1.6k for a steeper route, rejoining it at 5.9k - I’ll see if I can make a profile of the route they take)
Queralt.gif

Stage 7: Barcelona - Barcelona, 145.3k

The traditional finish.
a6001

Coll de la Creu d’Ordal
27-ordal-molins%20de%20rei.jpg

Final circuit:
07ZXUCq.png

Last edited:
UAE is bringing the A team to this one.
I would still rate A. Yates and Majka to be a part of an "A-team" for them.

Good squad though for this race. Depending on the form of guys like Vine (sick in P-N?), Almeida, Sivakov, Soler... there is not so much documented form here. A few of them will have to show more than they have so far this season.

Grosschartner was very good in P-N. Novak was good yesterday in MSR. The latter will probably only support the team in the beginning of the stages of this race.

Curious to see how many stages will Pogačar win and which kind of w/kg will he produce.

My guess is that he will win three stages plus the overall and that he will reach 6.5w/kg on Vallter.

Lenny Martinez to be the closest rider to him in the overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Curious to see how many stages will Pogačar win and which kind of w/kg will he produce.

My guess is that he will win three stages plus the overall and that he will at least reach 6.5w/kg on Vallter.

Lenny Martinez to be the closest rider to him in the overall.
Could win 5 stages.

More realistically, he's equal favorite with Lenny Martinez, they both won a small one day race in Italy solo this year, but I give him the benefit of the doubt so he's the slight favorite to me.

Route is great. not sure whey they changed the final of the first race tho. It was already pretty sketchy but now you just get a full on techincal descent towards the last km. Pretty interesting to watch but I don't wanna be a rider battling for the win or not trying too lose seconds there.

UAE team is pretty insane. Pogacar should already win 1st stage.

Annoying that Van Eetvelt is out, would've liked to see what he can do in this field.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
Could win 5 stages.

More realistically, he's equal favorite with Lenny Martinez, they both won a small one day race in Italy solo this year, but I give him the benefit of the doubt so he's the slight favorite to me.

I think he could actually win all stages apart from stage 4, but will probably take it easy on some of the days.

Almeida and Uijtdebroeks should start showing better legs in this race.

Last edited: