• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What beer ya drinkin'?

Page 66 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Craft beer places in the US are dropping like flies. All going out of business and almost none of the brands being picked up by the biggest breweries. Serious realignment going on.. I was wondering how long $7-10 dollar glasses of beer was going to last
In Boise, ID/Treasure Valley area, they are still going strong! Idahoers, and all of the new implants must love beer (beyond C-ligh and B-light...OK those aren't really beer).$6-8 pints are all too common though, IMO.

One that used potatos in their IPA (hey, its Idaho) no longer cans, you have to got to the brewery/pub. There were already a couple of those here in the valley.

I think it was over saturated. A thousand different companies selling basically the same thing with a different label, when other forms of alcohol are becoming more popular. Hopefully they don’t take too big of a hit though.
Saturated for sure, but 'selling the same thing', that depends. Yes, they are all selling IPA, for example, but they definitely aren't the same thing IMO. I do think that too many small brewers tried to differentiate by doing things that just didn't appeal to enough drinkers.

I prefer tequila, but enjoy beer, and I'm picky about both.

I think that all of the 'hard' seltzer, tea, cider, etc.. probably accounts for most of the reduction in craft beer sales (I wonder how sales of B&C light/PBR are doing?).

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Saturated for sure, but 'selling the same thing', that depends. Yes, they are all selling IPA, for example, but they definitely aren't the same thing IMO. I do think that too many small brewers tried to differentiate by doing things that just didn't appeal to enough drinkers.

I think that all of the 'hard' seltzer, tea, cider, etc.. probably accounts for most of the reduction in craft beer sales (I wonder how sales of B&C light/PBR are doing?).
I have heard that to some degree there is a correlation in overall alcohol sales declining while sales of a certain herb are increasing. No idea how interrelated the dynamics are but would make some sense imo. But yes definitely seltzer type products are the biggest direct factor.

Reactions: jmdirt
I have heard that to some degree there is a correlation in overall alcohol sales declining while sales of a certain herb are increasing. No idea how interrelated the dynamics are but would make some sense imo. But yes definitely seltzer type products are the biggest direct factor.
Weed sales, based on tax collected, are declining here in Colorado even though more and more dispensaries are opening. Maybe more users are growing their own now that there isn't really a stigma associated with having plants in your back yard.

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt

I've noticed this at my nearby convenient store where fridge space is limited to begin with... I won't lie, I like my original Twisted Tea. But, in addition to all the crappy beer I wouldn't touch, even that has been replaced by all kinds of fruity hard seltzers.

I think they're (apparently successfully) targeting younger customers who never had a taste for beer, sugary foo-foo beverages are a much easier sell.

I wonder if people stop consuming alcohol to instead consume THC? People here who prefer dipenseries have to drive to Oregon (less than an hour from the farthest points in the valley).

I wonder if people stop consuming alcohol to instead consume THC? People here who prefer dipenseries have to drive to Oregon (less than an hour from the farthest points in the valley).
If you try the bud or eat an edible you need to be inside and not near others, tons of snacks and sick days on the books. Fast Times at Ridgemont High days are done!!
In my opinion lots of the brewing processes for IPAs tend to have many tasting similar or the same.
Germans, Czech, Russian and Polish beer makers don't have anything to worry about!!
These people make good beer and the number usually has a relationship to alcohol content and the 7,8,9 don't taste that strong, surprisingly delicious!! You can get it in lots of delis in NYC and NJ

It looks like lots of things happened at once for lots and lots of people, thought craft beer was a license to print money, and borrow lots of it..Covid, inflation and consumer confidence and trends and lots of brewers are just too strung out w debt.
Two things that nearly all failing breweries, including some listed in the article you posted, have in common is an unrealistic idea of their true position in the market that leads to rapid growth (most often an attempt at distribution) and the lack of owning real estate. Any small business that is leasing their location is just asking for trouble. Bad business decisions are the most likely cause of small business failure.

Yes, m
Two things that nearly all failing breweries, including some listed in the article you posted, have in common is an unrealistic idea of their true position in the market that leads to rapid growth (most often an attempt at distribution) and the lack of owning real estate. Any small business that is leasing their location is just asking for trouble. Bad business decisions are the most likely cause of small business failure.
Yes, micro brews should stay micro and not try to outgrown themselves.

Reactions: ManicJack
In my opinion lots of the brewing processes for IPAs tend to have many tasting similar or the same.
True, but the key there is making something similar, but better (a lot of individiual preferences make that tough).

In the summer I go buy ~10 IPA singles at the Boise Co Op. Most of the time all 10 are drinkable, but only one, maybe two, taste good enough for me to go buy a six pack later.

Reactions: ManicJack