• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

¡Adiós!

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
After Navardauskas, Rebellin and Henao, I sense a trend in the air....

Adam Hansen too.

Right, I know this is maybe a strange guy to focus on, but I'm very interested in the stories of riders, and this guy definitely has a story. And reading about his story made me notice that he had sort of... stealth retired, or been retired by circumstances.
Justin Jules:
Officially, he retired after last season, but I guess you could argue that realistically he's been retired since the beginning of 2020, his last race being that year's Saudi Tour... which he crashed out of.
Then with the pandemic, and greatly reduced calender I suppose it was only natural that DELKO - a team that probably didn't get a whole lot of starts - chose to prioritise their younger riders.
Finally, when the team folded, I guess other teams weren't exactly falling over themselves to sign a 35-year-old guy, who hadn't race for almost two years.
So, we ended up with a situation that probably happens multiple times every year: A rider being unable to find a team, thus deciding - maybe based on age - to simply retire.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Regarding Justin Jules

Right, I know this is maybe a strange guy to focus on, but I'm very interested in the stories of riders, and this guy definitely has a story. And reading about his story made me notice that he had sort of... stealth retired, or been retired by circumstances.

The things I read about him makes me think he might have some serious psychological issues. Read some articles about him and he was so cold about his own father, who died when he was just a year old (not the stepfather which is a story of its own), also read that didn't have a relationship with his grandfather. Maybe it was the way the articles were written, but they didn't feel right.

• Wow
The things I read about him makes me think he might have some serious psychological issues. Read some articles about him and he was so cold about his own father, who died when he was just a year old (not the stepfather which is a story of its own), also read that didn't have a relationship with his grandfather. Maybe it was the way the articles were written, but they didn't feel right.

I guess growing up like that it would only be natural if he isn't the most... open of people. I've read some stuff stating that while he might seem cold at first, once you get to know him, he's actually quite nice. It's just that the "getting to know him" bit might take a bit longer than with most people...
And apparently the family lost contact with his grandfather when his mother tried to rebuild her life. The first time, the time that failed so tragically. However, they were able to regain contact with his grandfather later on.

I just hope that wherever he is now, he's been able to find some meassure of happiness.

Damnit, Kamaz... I was hoping he could have signed somewhere in Asia, especially in China and Malaysia the Asia Tour races tend to be either flat or Unipuerto, he wouldn't even have had to worry about descents!
I think China cancelling all spots events is bad news for many of the Russian riders who are without a team after the ban of Russian teams. Many of them would have found a spot on the Chinese teams. Well, fingers crossed that some of the local teams will sign some extra horsepower for Langkawi...

I think China cancelling all spots events is bad news for many of the Russian riders who are without a team after the ban of Russian teams. Many of them would have found a spot on the Chinese teams. Well, fingers crossed that some of the local teams will sign some extra horsepower for Langkawi...

China's domestic sporting events are still occurring - It's just that overseas riders are limited and international events have taken a hit.

I was surprised when she signed with Cofidis, cause it didn't really look like she had found herself again, but chapeau to her for having given it a chance and also for realising that it just didn't work out and acting on it. And it's also nice to see her receiving messages from both former teammates and competitors.

I read somewhere that one of the reasons she signed for Cofidis was that both Sunweb and Jumbo were reluctant to let her have her base in Denmark. Bit strange, considering that both those teams have riders - specifically Danes - on their men's team, who live in Denmark. So, maybe she thought being able to live in Denmark would help.

I read somewhere that one of the reasons she signed for Cofidis was that both Sunweb and Jumbo were reluctant to let her have her base in Denmark. Bit strange, considering that both those teams have riders - specifically Danes - on their men's team, who live in Denmark. So, maybe she thought being able to live in Denmark would help.

I don't know about JV, but DSM seem to have been very keen on having their female riders live together in a house in the Netherlands for parts of the season.

• Wow
yeah, even his Wiki page mentiones that first: "Samuel Ryan Bewley (born 22 July 1987) is an amateur podcast host and racing cyclist". :p

Can't say I have ever really noticed him in a race during those 14 years, but no one stays around this long for no reason of course.
He was a very good pursuiter in his early 20s, other than that he's been a classics domestique and bodyguard for Yates and Chaves

Say it ain't so Sam :(

A genuinely good guy and one of the funniest in the peloton. Strongly recommend his podcast with George Bennett and Dan Jones (previously of BEX Backstage Pass videos).

They're only on topic about half the time but it's a good laugh
I love The Social Distance Podcast! They have a great chemistry and some of the rabbit holes they go down are hilarious. Sam Bewley has been a solid pro working for others his whole road career and an Olympic medalist, I’m sure he’ll be missed in the peloton.

I love The Social Distance Podcast! They have a great chemistry and some of the rabbit holes they go down are hilarious. Sam Bewley has been a solid pro working for others his whole road career and an Olympic medalist, I’m sure he’ll be missed in the peloton.
His retirement announcement has as many current and former pros commenting as random followers, so I think so.

Only podcast I've heard dedicate a 1/4 of an episode to someone ditching a water bottle and hitting a spectator square in the groin (Bennett at the recent Dauphine). Everyone they tip for a good ride in a GT gets terrible luck too :D

TRENDING THREADS