• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

¡Adiós!

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

yaco said:
42x16ss said:
Ikbengodniet said:
Surprised he lasted this long. Poor guy has been popping ibuprofen like candy for years just to be able to train.

Realistically his Dad did well to get him a contract with Trek in an Olympic Year - He was a PCT level rider.
Bobridge was a strong WT rider in a 50 year old's body. When and if his body allowed it, Bobridge was world class

42x16ss said:
yaco said:
42x16ss said:
Ikbengodniet said:
Surprised he lasted this long. Poor guy has been popping ibuprofen like candy for years just to be able to train.

Realistically his Dad did well to get him a contract with Trek in an Olympic Year - He was a PCT level rider.
Bobridge was a strong WT rider in a 50 year old's body. When and if his body allowed it, Bobridge was world class

I agree wholeheartedly ...Some people on here know very little about what quality is ...Jack Bobridge with RA and riding for the hour record was class...better than most cyclists with no such serious condition...But I guess he wasn't some epo fueled 'hero' attacking at the bottom of Ventoux

HelloDolly said:
42x16ss said:
yaco said:
42x16ss said:
Ikbengodniet said:

I agree wholeheartedly ...Some people on here know very little about what quality is ...Jack Bobridge with RA and riding for the hour record was class...better than most cyclists with no such serious condition...But I guess he wasn't some epo fueled 'hero' attacking at the bottom of Ventoux

Totally agree! Bobridge was a massive talent who never really got the chance to shine thanks to his body.

WT class riders back it up day after day, week after week,month after month, year after year - Borbridge's ride in the Giro was a disgrace - Always at the back of the peleton,whether it was flat,hilly or mountainous - Watched him closely and never saw an instance in which he helped his team - Borbridge was world class on the track,but not on the road.

Re:

yaco said:
WT class riders back it up day after day, week after week,month after month, year after year - Borbridge's ride in the Giro was a disgrace - Always at the back of the peleton,whether it was flat,hilly or mountainous - Watched him closely and never saw an instance in which he helped his team - Borbridge was world class on the track,but not on the road.

I really think you are missing the point most here are trying to make but I guess it all how one defines WT quality. I think he did impressively well be it on the track or road considering what he was up against. You say his Giro performance was a disgrace but I completely disagree and he did help teammates and suffered through it better than others who abandoned, finished OTL or didn't have to combat the issues Bobridge went up against.

It's not always about results matey

StryderHells said:
yaco said:

I really think you are missing the point most here are trying to make but I guess it all how one defines WT quality. I think he did impressively well be it on the track or road considering what he was up against. You say his Giro performance was a disgrace but I completely disagree and he did help teammates and suffered through it better than others who abandoned, finished OTL or didn't have to combat the issues Bobridge went up against.

It's not always about results matey

My reference to Borbridge's performance at the Giro showed that he effectively got paid a WT Professional Road Cycling's wage to help him in an Olympic Year - His Dad is an EXCELLENT agent who got his son a good deal at the right time, especially seeing Jack was riding at Continental level in 2015.

Jack is a world class track rider but nowhere near the same standard on the road.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Arrhythmia forces Gianni Meersman to call an early end to his career.

Sorry to hear that. A very exciting rider to watch but we all live just once so I have to admire his decision. He will be missed! :(

Re:

RedheadDane said:

"During a routine medical check-up, a cardiac arrhythmia and scar tissue were found in the 31-year-old Belgian rider,"

lucky they found the problem. I wonder what kind of medical checks he underwent during his WT career al least. didnt they notice if before?

pastronef said:
RedheadDane said:

"During a routine medical check-up, a cardiac arrhythmia and scar tissue were found in the 31-year-old Belgian rider,"

lucky they found the problem. I wonder what kind of medical checks he underwent during his WT career al least. didnt they notice if before?

The problems could've been developped only recently, after all cycling demands a lot from the heart.

TRENDING THREADS