• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

¡Adiós!

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Steels forced to retire after his crash at the Six-Day in Gent.
Though, I can't figure out whether it's because of the injuries substained in the crash, or because being injured meant he could't really go prove himself to potential future teams.

His former teammate Declercq has had to retire as well.

Fkhk5_jWQAAy1K1

Bakelants announces retirement. Article on main page.

Still cannot believe this. He rode a decent season in 2022. Plus, his stage victory in 2022‘s Tour de Wallonnie should have been reason enough for Intermarche or every other WT team to offer him a contract for 2023.

Cycling is crazy, sometimes. How is it possible that you win a stage at the Tour de Wallonnie in mid 2022, and nevertheless have to retire at the end of 2022 - because you don‘t get offered a new contract?

Bakelants would have been an enormously important road captain for Girmay. Sad that this is not gonna happen now.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He wanted to stay at Wanty. He was annoyed when he wasn't offered an extension.

Then, he allegedly had an offer from Bingoal (at least it was rumoured, and he kind of confirmed he had contact with some teams) that wasn't attractive enough. He probably didn't want to settle for a low paycheck after a very nice WT career.

He was an interesting rider, usually in breaks, good punch and ability for hills / mid mountain parcours. He had already achieved and probably surpassed his peak, but he certainly could have achieved more without that horrific crash.

His final year was quite nice with his final win and a good Vuelta (far from his best years, but still active in breaks with decent performances and valuable support to Meintjes). A good way to retire from pro cycling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lui98 and Sandisfan
He was an interesting rider, usually in breaks, good punch and ability for hills / mid mountain parcours. He had already achieved and probably surpassed his peak, but he certainly could have achieved more without that horrific crash.
Bakelants was seen as perhaps the brightest young talent in the world of cycling at one point, after he won l'Avenir and LBL U23 in 2008, and had a string of other impressive results. Granted, he was 22 when he tore apart the U23 calendar, but that didn't matter that much back then. The entire top 6 of l'Avenir in 2008 were all born in the same year.

Amazing how many notable retirements there has been at the end of the 2022 season.

• Wow
Reactions: BR2 and Sandisfan
Amazing how many notable retirements there has been at the end of the 2022 season.

Number of riders to retire from the pro peloton who were in the top 100 of active riders with most wins at the end of their final season:

2016: 15
2017: 11
2018: 11
2019: 11
2020: 8
2021: 6
2022: 18

If we go by top 50 it's:

2016: 8 (Cancellara, Purito, Bos, Chicchi, Hutarovich, Brown, Fédrigo, Ciolek)
2017: 7 (Boonen, Contador, Voeckler, Napolitano, Farrar, Samu, Vicioso)
2018: 4 (Chavanel, Cunego, Gerrans, (Italian) Pozzato)
2019: 5 (Kittel, Bennati, Guardini, S Dumoulin, Plaza)
2020: 3 (Albasini, Ventoso, Benfatto)
2021: 3 (Greipel, T Martin, D Martin)
2022: 7 (Valverde, Gilbert, Nibali, Modolo, Colbrelli, Visconti, Porte)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lui98 and Sandisfan
Another way to measure could be number of major wins (I'll also be counting OGRR here as it's my list, my rules) retiring each year:

2016: 14 (Cancellara x 7, Purito x 2, Goss, Hesjedal, Vansummeren, Ciolek, Zaugg)
2017: 18 (Contador x 9 (come at me), Boonen x 8, Samu)
2018: 7 (Cunego x 4, Gerrans x 2, Pozzato)
2019: 3 (Devolder x 2, Hayman)
2020: 0
2021: 3 (D Martin x 2, Aru)
2022: 23 (Nibali x 7, Valverde x 6, Gilbert x 6, Terpstra x 2, Colbrelli, T Dumoulin)

No wonder this feels like an ending of an era.

Another way to measure could be number of major wins (I'll also be counting OGRR here as it's my list, my rules) retiring each year:

2016: 14 (Cancellara x 7, Purito x 2, Goss, Hesjedal, Vansummeren, Ciolek, Zaugg)
2017: 18 (Contador x 9 (come at me), Boonen x 8, Samu)
2018: 7 (Cunego x 4, Gerrans x 2, Pozzato)
2019: 3 (Devolder x 2, Hayman)
2020: 0
2021: 3 (D Martin x 2, Aru)
2022: 23 (Nibali x 7, Valverde x 6, Gilbert x 6, Terpstra x 2, Colbrelli, T Dumoulin)

No wonder this feels like an ending of an era.
The numbers that bring other years close to 2022 are a bit inflated (two riders contributing almost all big wins in 2017 and several lesser riders doing the same in 2016). So 2022 looks even more 'impressive' if you consider those things.

What's more, there are several very notable retirements that are not picked up by your lists. I'd argue that all of Rebellin (RIP), Rolland (Alpe d'Huez win), Zakarin (mythical), Dowsett (hour record), Nieve (epic breakaways and a period of somehow placing exactly 10th in tons of GTs) are equally or more legendary than Bos, Chicchi, Brown, Fédrigo, Napolitano, Farrar, Vicioso, Guardini, S. Dumoulin, Plaza, Albasini, Ventoso, Benfatto and (arguably) Vansummeren and Zaugg, who all made it into one of your list. And back in 2008, one would definitely have thought Bakelants would be on such a list, too. Honourable mention to Henao as well, who at one point had no equal except Purito on short walls.

TRENDING THREADS