• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

100 Positives Registered with New Test

This was so good I started a thread about it.

A syndicated press release is claiming two labs have implemented a new test protocol for Oral-Turinabol and stanozolol that has resulted in an enormous number of positives.

100 urine samples have now tested positive that would previously have turned up negative." Rodchenko estimates the detection window for identifying the substance after it has been administered now to be six months or more, thus significantly longer than before.

http://www.abc27.com/story/23997085...ids-lead-to-hundreds-of-positive-doping-tests

"Traces of Oral-Turinabol were discovered, for example, in urine samples from the pre-competition testing at the 2013 World Athletics Championships,"

It looks like the IAAF has some explaining to do if they do not process the positives. :D

You'll find slightly different versions of that press release through a number of news websites as it's syndicated content. I don't have a link back to German public television yet.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Lets hope these arent all belarussian shot put athletes.

I wonder how many athletes think about things like future tests giving their doping longer "glow time".

Should be interesting to see what happens if they try this test on say, the 2008 olympics.

There's conflicting reports of whether the Turin re-tests are linked to the new test methods.

"We are re-testing Torino Games samples as planned. This is not linked to that report," the official told Reuters.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...-samples-using-new-method-072456365--spt.html

Even that link above has jammed two seemingly unrelated stories together because it goes on to mention the ARD report. And then it inflates the number of positives from 100 to hundreds.

The reason I posted the link I did was that it was less confusing than the eurosport.yahoo link in this post.

The biggest news is there should be at least dozens of positives as a result of the new tests. But this is the IOC so, don't expect anything.

the sceptic said:
Should be interesting to see what happens if they try this test on say, the 2008 olympics.

The 2013 IAAF world championships should end up with a **bunch** of sanctions if the report is true. The IAAF seems to get a free pass on this stuff, so maybe one or two positives might possibly come from this. Again, it won't be Bolt or any of the other 'valuable' athletes.

Think about the implications of this test protocol and the 2012 summer games. The IOC has a problem which they will hide. Again.

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Final paragraph:

Die Ergebnisse sind ein Paukenschlag im internationalen Anti-Dopingkampf: Eine so hohe Zahl von positiven Testergebnissen auf einen Streich hat es bei Dopinganalysen in Laboren bisher nicht gegeben. Nun fordern Dopingexperten Nachtests von eingefrorenen Proben, die von sportlichen Großereignissen stammen. Gleichzeitig zeigt der Vorfall, wie sehr die Welt-Anti-Doping-Agentur oftmals auf verlorenem Posten kämpft. Zwar hat sie in der vergangenen Woche einen neuen Anti-Doping-Code verabschiedet, der härtere Strafen vorsieht. Doch bleibt fraglich, wie sehr sich dopende Athleten davon abschrecken lassen, wenn sie doch davon ausgehen können, nicht erwischt zu werden. Weniger als ein Prozent aller Proben bringen einen positiven Dopingbefund. Und auch die nun in Köln und Moskau positiv getesteten Proben wären noch 2012 nach Auskunft der Labore völlig unauffällig gewesen.

"The results are significant in the international fight against doping: doping analyses in laboratories had never before uncovered so many positive test results with a single blow. Now, doping experts are demanding retests of frozen samples taken from large sports events. At the same time, the incident shows how often WADA is fighting a losing battle. Yes, in the last few weeks it has agreed a new anti-coping code that provides for harsher penalties. And yet it remains questionable how much doping athletes are afraid of this, if they can assume that they won't be caught. Less than one percent of all samples test positive. And the samples that have just tested positive in Cologne and Moscow would had been completely unremarkable even in 2012, according to these laboratories."

mattghg said:
And the samples that have just tested positive in Cologne and Moscow would had been completely unremarkable even in 2012, according to these laboratories."

The IOC knows the process has holes that everyone on the sports-entertainment side abuse. What's happened **again** is a failure to manage doping controversy.

If the quotes from the press release are correct, then they have 2013 positive samples and LOTS OF THEM. That's hardly ineffective anti-doping.

How many positives will actually be processed? Hmm?

DirtyWorks said:
This was so good I started a thread about it.

A syndicated press release is claiming two labs have implemented a new test protocol for Oral-Turinabol and stanozolol that has resulted in an enormous number of positives.

100 urine samples have now tested positive that would previously have turned up negative." Rodchenko estimates the detection window for identifying the substance after it has been administered now to be six months or more, thus significantly longer than before.

http://www.abc27.com/story/23997085...ids-lead-to-hundreds-of-positive-doping-tests

"Traces of Oral-Turinabol were discovered, for example, in urine samples from the pre-competition testing at the 2013 World Athletics Championships,"

It looks like the IAAF has some explaining to do if they do not process the positives. :D

You'll find slightly different versions of that press release through a number of news websites as it's syndicated content. I don't have a link back to German public television yet.

Must be some sophisticated micro-doping - which also suggests greater organization/sophistication - as both of these are old, well-known steroids and (I thought) have fairly long detection windows.

Dave.

DirtyWorks said:
There's conflicting reports of whether the Turin re-tests are linked to the new test methods.

"We are re-testing Torino Games samples as planned. This is not linked to that report," the official told Reuters.

yet from http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...steroid-test-on-turin-doping-samples/3641581/ we have

"The IOC is currently retesting some of the samples collected during the Olympic Winter Games in Turin in 2006 and we can confirm that we are using the new long-term metabolites method to detect anabolic steroids," the IOC said in a statement.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
sideshadow said:
Here is the original paper concerning the new test.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23873860

The researchers used existing drug tests, given by athletes, to see if the new test is working. So there are at least 72 athletes that now have positive dope tests, likely more. One can only hope that this isn't buried.

Thanks for the paper link.

Buried seems more likely, given the large number. It would reduce the sports involved to rubble, surely?

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Cant see Cookson retesting the TeamGB samples somehow :rolleyes:

But he will retest Germany's samples as they took more medals last month in Manchester right?

Maybe you should take off your horse glasses off, to see stuff.

EnacheV said:
But he will retest Germany's samples as they took more medals last month in Manchester right?

Maybe you should take off your horse glasses off, to see stuff.
Uhm yeah. Why wouldn't he? There's good reason to.

I bet Robert Fostermann will be cr@pping his pants right now.

Normally I shake my head at Benotti's OTT cynicism too but you've got the blinkers on ATM buddy. Cookson has years of work to do before he can earn a reputation as impartial, that's how bad cycling's admin has been for many years now.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So out of 659 routine sports drug testing samples 85 (ca 13 %) were positive for stanozolol. With the old testing only 13 samples (ca 2 %) would have been positive.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23873860

The only cyclist listed in dopeology.org for testing positive for stanozolol is Maximiliano Richeze. This was in April 2008. during the heydays of his presumably CERA fueled team. Richeze had a great Circuit de la Sarthe, but then he tested positive on the last stage, and couldn't ride the Giro with Sella and the rest of CSF Group-Navigare.

Stanozolol was also seized during the Oil for Drugs raids.
http://www.dopeology.org/products/Stanozolol/

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
How many positives

OK now I've seen the German TV mini-documentary and I'm left with some questions about just how many positives have been found.

Hans Geyer from the Cologne laboratory, one of the authors of the research paper that sideshadow linked to, says

I would guess, taking the laboratories that introduced these new methods, that we have hundreds of positives that we would otherwise never have found

OK, so I suppose that's just him guessing about how many positives there are among all the samples they have. We know from his paper that they actually found 85 positives for stanozolol, 72 of which were previously undetected.

After Geyer they bring on Grigory Dodchenko, the head of the Moscow lab, who says

Thanks to the methods with longer detection windows for six months and more, we have found over a hundred positives that would have remained undetected until recently ... we found Oral Turinabol in pre-competition tests from the Athletics World Championships in Moscow last summer.

So is it 72 from the Cologne lab, plus over a hundred from the Moscow lab?

You have to hand it to the documentary makers for not pulling their punches. Straight after quoting the NADO representative saying that all countries should take Germany's lead in being WADA-code-compliant, they bring on someone else who says that NADO is one of the least-effective anti-doping agencies in Europe.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
mattghg said:
OK now I've seen the German TV mini-documentary and I'm left with some questions about just how many positives have been found.

Hans Geyer from the Cologne laboratory, one of the authors of the research paper that sideshadow linked to, says

OK, so I suppose that's just him guessing about how many positives there are among all the samples they have. We know from his paper that they actually found 85 positives for stanozolol, 72 of which were previously undetected.

After Geyer they bring on Grigory Dodchenko, the head of the Moscow lab, who says

So is it 72 from the Cologne lab, plus over a hundred from the Moscow lab?

You have to hand it to the documentary makers for not pulling their punches. Straight after quoting the NADO representative saying that all countries should take Germany's lead in being WADA-code-compliant, they bring on someone else who says that NADO is one of the least-effective anti-doping agencies in Europe.
tanx for analysis.

NADO is one of the least-effective anti-doping agencies in Europe.
this i don't doubt.
there 've been some red flags recently, where they didn't cooperate with doping investigations and obstructed certain law suits against doping facilitators. will try to find some links.

TRENDING THREADS