• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

100th Giro D' Italia Predictions

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
1. Landa
2. Pinot
3. Nibali

Quintana drops out after a bad day to focus on the Tour.

No more crashes than usual. The building hysteria over the descender's jersey is just that. This is like arguing that points jerseys lead to more crashes.

Holding out hope for 3/4 stage wins for Greipel. He can do it.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Nibali
Quintana
Landa/Pinot (can't decide)
Zakarin, Mamykin, Foliforov and Firsanov to lead a Soviet invasion that will end with at least 3 stage wins, with Foliforov winning the mountains jersey and Zakarin finishing top 5 on gc.
Kangert to win a big mountain stage.

Nizzolo will still not win a stage but add a couple more second places to his impressive tally (but I hope I'm wrong) and win the points competition again.

Quintana will win it in the last week when Thomas fades after having looked like a winner for a certain portion of the race. Kruijswijk second.

Dumoulin will not be in the top 10 on GC.

Greipel will win more stages than Gaviria.

Cannondale will win the team classification but no stages.

The descending classification will be on nobody's mind during the race.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
tobydawq said:
Nizzolo will still not win a stage but add a couple more second places to his impressive tally (but I hope I'm wrong) and win the points competition again.
I'm honestly looking forward to that. It was really funny to see how many different ways he found to not win a stage :lol:
Recenly he said the he's only at around 70% after recovering fron tendonitis, so I wouldn't bet on him winning the points classification. Moolo has a decent train and Gaviria has nor real reason to pul out of the race, so he could be the man to beat for the poins jersey.

Well, I have never really understood cyclists' way to estimate those percentages. 70 %... Is it the VO2 max that is reduced by 30 %? Is it the watt-max? The maximal power output? Of course not... Then he would probably not have been capable of following the peloton in Croatia.

But it's true that he didn't sprint well in Croatia. However, I would expect him to be faster than Modolo with a couple of more weeks under his belt and I don't think any other sprinters than those two will finish the race. If you're right about Gaviria finishing, he will probably win it, though.

Oh well:
Podium: Quintana, Landa and Nibali.
The remaining top 10: Kruijswijk, Rolland, Mollema, Zakarin, Geniez, Pinot, Yates. No particular order.

I have a feeling that TJVG will flop again, probably due to health issues instead of a mechanical problem.

Also, I'd really like to see Landa as the winner. Maybe if he finds his 2015's legs again.
Thomas will flop also.

Quintana to win, followed by Pinot and Kruijswijk in that order. Nibali to finish fourth, in an echo of the '15 Tour, finishing strong in the third week. Dumoulin to fall back in third week with Thomas. Landa to leave as part of continuing Sky problems during Giros d'Italia. Yates to be joker in the pack, with potential to displace Pinot, but not Quintana. Most stage wins to be Dumoulin.

1. Quintana
2. Nibali
3.Landa

Stage 1 - Gaviria
Stage 10 - Dennis (will focus after losing time)
Stage 21 - Dumoulin (will empty the tank to move up in GC)

Maglia Bianca - Yates
Maglia Azzurra - Formolo
Maglia Ciclomino - Modolo

Ewan and Gaviria to show up Greipel big time
Rolland to do something awesome from a break in the mountains
Dimension Data to do SFA apart from one stage

1. quintana 2. nibali 3. kruijswijk
maglia bianca a.yates
maglia ciclamino modolo
maglia azzurra rolland

top 10 quintana nibali kruijswijk pinot landa zakarin dumoulin a.yates pozzovivo thomas

stage 1 winner gaviria
dennis OTL in stage 9

I haven't been this excited about a Giro in years. The GC field is stacked, and the course looks fair and varied (if lacking a bit of the wow factor one would expect from the Giro's centenary edition).

I really don't have a great track record in predicitng these things, but here goes:

1st Quintana
2nd SK
3rd Pinot

Stage 1 winner - Gaviria
I will guess Gaviria for most stage wins as I am a little bit concerned for Greipel's form and I don't believe Ewan is as versatile as the Colombian.
Rohan Dennis should win the final time trial and Dumoulin might pip him in the first time trial.

Yates should win the white jersey. No idea about the blue jersey. Or red for that matter. Maybe Gaviria for red.

I think Landa will ride very well. Possibly the second best climber in the race. But I think he will lose time on time trials and possibly other areas. I think Rohan Dennis and Dumoulin will both Top 10.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Well, I have never really understood cyclists way to estimate those percentages. 70 %... Is it the VO2 max that is reduced by 30 %? Is it the watt-max? The maximal power output? Of course not... Then he would probably not have been capable of following the peloton in Croatia.

Still makes more sense than the CAS way of defining how much power he has left. :p

(You need to be Danish to get it.)

Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
tobydawq said:
Well, I have never really understood cyclists way to estimate those percentages. 70 %... Is it the VO2 max that is reduced by 30 %? Is it the watt-max? The maximal power output? Of course not... Then he would probably not have been capable of following the peloton in Croatia.

Still makes more sense than the CAS way of defining how much power he has left. :p

(You need to be Danish to get it.)

That was a very good illustration of why it's very silly of us to often treat the word for force as a countable noun in Danish :)

Because when you do try to count "them", it becomes quite difficult...

Votes so far (to podium, no additional weighting for 1st place etc). I think the board hive mind have probably got it spot on (though I'm lower on Nibali and much higher on SK).

Quintana 22
Nibali 20
Pinot 10.5
Landa 10.5
SK 8
Dumoulin 4
Mollema 3
Thomas 2
Yates 1

TRENDING THREADS