• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

100th Ronde Van Vlaanderen - April 3rd, 2016 - 255.9k

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

The new King of Flanders will come from what team?

• Another team

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Etixx

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Lotto Soudal

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Trek

Votes: 45 32.1%
  • Sky

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • Tinkoff

Votes: 30 21.4%
  • LottoNL

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • BMC

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • Katusha

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Astana

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think when Sagan went with Kwiatkowski he was still unsure what the best thing to do was. He probably believed Etixx would help the chase.

But when Vanmarcke joined the couple and Trentin/Oss attacked he had to know this was very dangerous. That's why he chased the two italians himself and then pulled the group for 5-6 seconds. I have no idea why he stopped though, could very well be lack of legs.

Re:

SafeBet said:
I think when Sagan went with Kwiatkowski he was still unsure what the best thing to do was. He probably believed Etixx would help the chase.

But when Vanmarcke joined the couple and Trentin/Oss attacked he had to know this was very dangerous. That's why he chased the two italians himself and then pulled the group for 5-6 seconds. I have no idea why he stopped though, could very well be lack of legs.
This, Cancellara didn't win because he was only 2nd strongest, not because of tactical mistakes. At Kwaremont he was 5 seconds behind Sagan at one point. Then Sagan accelerated and left Kwaremont with 13s advantage, and then extended it to 20s before Paterberg.

Re:

SafeBet said:

Vandenbergh was still ahead though.

Re: Re:

Panda Claws said:
SafeBet said:

But its pretty obvious that Vandenbergh would get caught and dropped when strong riders like Sagan chase him.

Gigs_98 said:
Panda Claws said:
SafeBet said:

But its pretty obvious that Vandenbergh would get caught and dropped when strong riders like Sagan chase him.

Thats the problem when you send someone like Vandenbergh up the road

Obvious or not, it does hamper Etixx for chasing as freely as they could have especially when none of you other guys is looking particularly strong. I just find it bad judgment (on Cancellara's part) to assume that a break containing Sagan, Kwiatkowski and Vanmarcke would be reeled in again. Just look at E3 and Gent-Wevelgem.

That being said, if the Etixx guys had the legs one of them should have attempted to bridge with Vanmarcke or just follow Sagan. Instead of trying to reel them back in later and perhaps screwing Stijn Vandenbergh over in the process.

Re:

Panda Claws said:
Obvious or not, it does hamper Etixx for chasing as freely as they could have especially when none of you other guys is looking particularly strong. I just find it bad judgment (on Cancellara's part) to assume that a break containing Sagan, Kwiatkowski and Vanmarcke would be reeled in again. Just look at E3 and Gent-Wevelgem.

That being said, if the Etixx guys had the legs one of them should have attempted to bridge with Vanmarcke or just follow Sagan. Instead of trying to reel them back in later and perhaps screwing Stijn Vandenbergh over in the process.
Well Trentin and Oss tried to bridge but Canc shut that one down, if I am correctly informed.

Hakkapelit said:
Panda Claws said:

Well Trentin and Oss tried to bridge but Canc shut that one down, if I am correctly informed.

You are correctly informed.
Allthough I don't understand why they send Trentin. A good rider, but he would never race to win so that was pointless as well.

It's probably that nobody believed Sagan would be so strong in the finale. He hasn't shown this finishing strength since 2013, and I think he was a step above that as well. He even had those disappointing defeats at E3 and Strade. If anybody made a mistake it was Sep, who had been too aggressive marking Kwiatkowski. Sagan had been on that move almost immediately but didn't take the front until Sep was just about caught up: really a vicious baiting by Peter, a fisher of men.

Actually, I think Sagan had even more strength than he showed at Flanders. I have no idea what that means for Roubaix; but he has been dominating races since last Spring's sub-par performances.

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Ok Sagan wins but I'm going to wait for the Paterberg top ascent times in the final round before declaring him even the moral winner.
I did the chrono : Peter was quicker by 4 secondes

TRENDING THREADS