• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

103 F at 7:10pm

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
That is pretty impressive, even more so at 7:00pm! Where are you located?

I'm in Puerto Rico, last week there was one day I felt very wasted after an 80k ride in the hills. Since it felt really hot, I checked the weather service site, 116 F (heat index)! :eek:

May 23, 2010
Visit site
wdiaz_pr said:
That is pretty impressive, even more so at 7:00pm! Where are you located?

I'm in Puerto Rico, last week there was one day I felt very wasted after an 80k ride in the hills. Since it felt really hot, I checked the weather service site, 116 F (heat index)! :eek:

Dallas/Fort Worth.. it is already 100 at 11am today...heat indexes were 115 yesterday..Seems like the 102 days were ride-able at 7pm but now it is not cooling off until well after dark. 98 in the shade is not so bad for riding..We've actually been lucky..It's not unusual to have weeks of 108 here.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
redtreviso said:
Dallas/Fort Worth.. it is already 100 at 11am today...heat indexes were 115 yesterday..Seems like the 102 days were ride-able at 7pm but now it is not cooling off until well after dark. 98 in the shade is not so bad for riding..We've actually been lucky..It's not unusual to have weeks of 108 here.

Yep, that happens a lot here, but we have the additional limitation that, being down here in the tropics, even in summer, its too dark to ride after about 6:30pm.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
108f now at 4pm...will probably get a little hotter.. the heat of the pavement alone will keep it hot until 10pm.. All the birds outside are panting..

May 23, 2010
Visit site
It was only 100 at 6:45 so I rode..Some clouds moved in a blocked the sun, cooling things off a bit..First 30 min was JRA bad air quality was obvious, 2nd 30 was hot but almost tolerable..last 30 was nice and I did a few minute drills.. I drank all my water and lost 1/2 a pound.. Tomorrow 99 for a high and wednesday 88..whhhhhooooot!!! I have managed to ride almost every day through the worst part of the summer.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Last night where I'm at now it was officially 107F at 7PM (my car thermometer said 113F). It's now not even 9AM and it's 95F. I'm here on a business trip, and I have been working outside for the last 8 days, including the day it hit an official 115F (my car thermometer said 120F at the work site). I don't have my bike with me, unfortunately. I've been running in the morning when it's only 85F (and humid), but yesterday I couldn't run until mid-day. After being outside for the past week in the heat, I just couldn't bring myself to run outside, so I wimped out and ran on the treadmill, for the first time in 15 years.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
108 yesterday and 84 now...24 degrees difference ...I bet a bunch of people think 84 is hot..Earlier this spring I was bemoaning the 80s...I didn't get enough riding when it was in the 70s..Seems like it was only in the 80s for a few weeks and then it was 90s. My performance really tailed off in the high 80s then mostly I just went through the motions when it was extremely hot..I am looking forward to some cooler riding where it won't be a danger to my health..Due to not being in the best shape when it started getting hot I wondered if I would have to just quit until fall..but I ended up riding 30 days straight in July and only missed 4 days out of the last 60.. I didn't have to quit and I made huge strides in my riding redemption.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Man, I look back at my years of suffering on a bicycle and otherwise in the heat of DFW and Austin and am glad I live in NZ now. I'm sure that I've lost a few years of my life from exposure to the heat.
Funny thing is the Kiwis freak out when it gets 75F! It cracks me up.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
TexPat said:
Man, I look back at my years of suffering on a bicycle and otherwise in the heat of DFW and Austin and am glad I live in NZ now. I'm sure that I've lost a few years of my life from exposure to the heat.
Funny thing is the Kiwis freak out when it gets 75F! It cracks me up.

I know I have cut more than a few years off my life...20 years ago I rode no matter how hot it was..about a dozen kidney stone operations later I realize the error of my ways..Now I watch my weight riding in the heat..I water back on any weight I lose..I went to Boulder Colo on vacation one summer and they were having a heat wave..It was 100 or 99 and no one was out doing anything because of the heat..The humidity was 5% though.. Here in Texas we have 102 108 degrees and 25-30% humidity.. Colo's 5% felt great to me...The sun would still scorch your skin but it was really more comfortable than 90 is here.

TRENDING THREADS