• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

109th/1st Scheldeprijs (aka El Crashico), Wednesday, April 7th, 2021

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will be the winners of the 2021 Scheldeprijs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK, I could only read the blow-by-blow at work so I just got the chance to see the video. That was a beautiful move/leadout for Alpecin-Fenix, and a terrific sprint from JP. From reading many of the post it sounded like other teams messed up. I don't agree that anyone 'messed up', Alpecin just nailed it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
OK, I could only read the blow-by-blow at work so I just got the chance to see the video. That was a beautiful move/leadout for Alpecin-Fenix, and a terrific sprint from JP. From reading many of the post it sounded like other teams messed up. I don't agree that anyone 'messed up', Alpecin just nailed it.
Qhebeka did mess up. Nizzolo was riding for Walscheid, then the later got boxed in, Nizzolo saw it and started sprinting himself.

Schwarzmann, Selig and Politt were still with Ackermann at the end. Burghardt was already kinda "dead".
With 2,5 and still 2(?) km to go they were waiting a hell long and they got boxed perfectly fine in a giant group of 30!
Everyone is disappointed.

Happy for Jasper though. Great win for him. We might see this kind of face often in the near future.

They got off easy with Bennett. He was able to win pretty much on his own by surfing wheels and when he did have a leadout, it was Archibold, who he took with him. Ackerman is fast but he needs better support.

I’m a bit more concerned about Ackermann’s form than that. Yes, he has always been more dependent on team support than more skilled wheelsurfers, but he hasn’t looked good this year even when they have put him in the right place.
but Bennett also barely gained a meter on Philipsen..
That’s not quite accurate, Bennett was going quite a lot faster at the end. Not that that means that he was better on the day - sprinting mostly isn’t a drag race and Bennett was coming out of the slipstream, so he should be going faster.

The race was Philipsen’s to lose as soon as Rickaert* buried Morkov and as a bonus forced Bennett to break. Nobody should be able to come round a top sprinter from that position. Not Bennett, not Ewan, not Groenewegen. Bennett is more often put in that kind of position by QS/Morkov.

It’s not taking anything away from Philipsen to note that sprinting is a team activity and positioning is at least as important as speed (just ask Cees Bol about that one). Philipsen is clearly on his way into the elite and is much younger than those rivals.

*It was Rickaert, right? I can’t say that I’ve really noticed him much but I think that was the best leadout this year by anyone not named Morkov and it was up there with Morkov’s best.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS