• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

110th Scheldeprijs Schoten: 6 April, 2022

The Scheldeprijs is usually a race for sprinters, but this year the weather promises to be horrific: a lot of rain and a heavy southwest wind. This will make it more selective. The men start at 12.45 PM. Over a distance of 199 km they will ride from Terneuzen through the windy Zeeland (Netherlands), to finish with three local laps in Schoten, Antwerp (Belgium). Time for echelons?

scheldeprijs-624aa755d9083.PNG

Recent winners:
2012: Marcel Kittel
2013: Marcel Kittel
2014: Marcel Kittel
2015: Alexander Kristoff
2016: Marcel Kittel
2017: Marcel Kittel
2018: Fabio Jakobsen
2019: Fabio Jakobsen
2020: Caleb Ewan
2021: Jasper Philipsen

Multiple winners:
5x Marcel Kittel
3x Piet Oellibrandt
3x Mark Cavendish

The women's race will be held for the second time. Their 138 km race will start at 11.30 AM and finish before the men. Last year Lorena Wiebes won the inaugural edition.

Is Jasper Philipsen riding? PCs reckon so but GCN have forgot about him in their ratings ..and poor old Sam Bennett doesn't even get a star

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Fabio Jakobsen, Tim Merlier
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Dylan Groenewegen
⭐️⭐️⭐️ Arnaud De Lie, Nacer Bouhanni
⭐️⭐️ Pascal Ackermann, Fernando Gaviria, Alexander Kristoff, Anthony Turgis
⭐️ Timothy Dupont, Max Walscheid, Nils Politt, Amaury Capiot, Danny van Poppel

Reactions: Sandisfan
Is Jasper Philipsen riding? PCs reckon so but GCN have forgot about him in their ratings ..and poor old Sam Bennett doesn't even get a star

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Fabio Jakobsen, Tim Merlier
⭐⭐⭐⭐ Dylan Groenewegen
⭐⭐⭐ Arnaud De Lie, Nacer Bouhanni
⭐⭐ Pascal Ackermann, Fernando Gaviria, Alexander Kristoff, Anthony Turgis
⭐ Timothy Dupont, Max Walscheid, Nils Politt, Amaury Capiot, Danny van Poppel
Yeah, he is. With Merlier getting dropped in the crosswinds, they'll need him. He won't stand a chance against De Lie however.

I think she's faster than him.

Jumping hurdles with ease would also be an advantage in the Scheldeprijs if your characterisation of it being richly littered with road furniture is correct.
She is, and she is also superior in two other clear ways:
  1. she can demonstrably be competitive in races with obstacles you have to get over
  2. she understands that flat races should be done indoors.

Excited for this one.
Sprinting field looks wide open this year.
Will Merlier be vindicated or will Philipsen get to come 2nd again?
Can they handle Jakobsen? After QST's lacklustre cobbles season so far this is the perfect place to start salvaging.
Will Bennett raise a fat one to Lefevere? Will Groenewegen keep it clean?

Also excited to see Kopecky racing this after winning the Ronde. I don't know if this is the first time a woman races alongside the men but Scheldeprijs seems like an excellent race to test out how this goes.

*** Jakobsen, Groenewegen, Merlier (if he gets to sprint)
** Bennett
* Philipsen (I know he won last year but he has weak mental), Kristoff (if he gets to sprint)

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Fabio Jakobsen, Tim Merlier
⭐⭐⭐⭐ Dylan Groenewegen
⭐⭐⭐ Arnaud De Lie, Nacer Bouhanni
⭐⭐ Pascal Ackermann, Fernando Gaviria, Alexander Kristoff, Anthony Turgis
⭐ Timothy Dupont, Max Walscheid, Nils Politt, Amaury Capiot, Danny van Poppel
How are you inputting your stars? Every time I try to add an emoji that isn't in the forum's list I get an error.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS