• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

114th Il Lombardia (1.UWT) // 15th of August 2020

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nieve for example has a far better record than any Yates brother though, having finished 6th, 7th and 8th in Lombardia. And Groupama is going for Molard (10th last year), who could very well finish Top 5 as well.

Sure, they are unlikely to win, but it's not that bad
You're including Nieve's 7th place from 10 years ago, and discounting that Adam is 8 years younger than Nieve, and has 3 top 10s in Liege plus his San Sebastian win. Not saying Nieve won't do well, I just think Adam would have a better chance of actually winning the race, and would be more likely to animate it.

I'm actually enjoying watching MVDP fight a bit of an uphill battle. Even when/if he gets to top form, he clearly has a helluva fight on his hands against teams like JV and DQ. That's what I like about him, willing to take all the pressure on himself every race. Guessing that's why he likes MTB and Cross better than Road - balls out from the gun and every man for himself.

Maybe yes, but to be fair he is winning everywhere he starts. It's not like anyone claims that he's going to win a bunchsprint or so.
Yes, and to be clear, I completely understand VDP's limits on the road - especially since I hope he stays with 3 disciplines. He's not a TDF GC guy or even a hillier classic guy or a TT guy. All that stuff is boring and too specialized. I just love being able watch a guy win year-round in epic cross races this year like Namur, first lap at Koksidje, etc., the epic MTB races last fall. It's pretty clear right now though thatthe lack of racing and not being on a first rate road team has hurt him so far on the road in this weird year. Still, if he can to 100% he will win, and could dominate races like PR, Flanders and AG here pretty quick.

Reactions: red_flanders
Damn. Just read through this entire post - and you guys give me heat for being a MVDP fanboy...
Maybe you should read what you wrote about MVDP again. I haven't read anybody here hype Evenepoel at the expense of other equally talented riders, like you have been doing. If you don't see the difference, then you truly are blinded by fanboyism. Never forget, Senna:

Logic: Don't agree at all with your "same as van Aert" comment. VA is great racer in his own right, but he's not VDP in any way, shape or form. Also don't agree at all with your comment about VDP having problems with "an actual puncheur there, like Alaphilippe, or...". Seems like you are very knowledgeable, but what races are you watching? IMO you are grossly underestimating VDP's possibilities based on his past results. I could provide numerous examples across all three disciplines, but bottom line is that riders like ALPH and Teuns (seriously?) are nowhere near VDP in terms of talent and sheer killer/winner instinct. Road folks need to come to grips with the fact that VDP is on another level than the guys you have been following.
I know this is the VDP "road" forum, and sometimes I wonder if members have only seen him race on the road? This guy is on a different level than your AP's, FS's and even VA's of the world - the podium at SB last year.
You asked me which races i've been watching. Well, lately i've been watching a lot of big races being won by van Aert. What races have you been watching lately? Too bad a guy who is nowhere on the same level as van der Poel has now extended his road palmares to be quite a bit more impressive.

Big races won by Mathieu since Amstel: nothing
Big races won by van Aert since Amstel: 3 stages in the Dauphiné, Stage in the Tour de France, Strade BIanche, Milan San Remo.

Fair enough Logic. I've been watching all the races so far this road "season" and no doubt WVA has been impressive - including today at DL, driving the pace for the "yellow train". He's clearly better than VDP right now, and definitely maximizing his potential by being on a professional team like JV. I'm strictly a fan though - and a fan of all 3 disciplines. So I disagree that VDP hasn't accomplished anything since AG. Establishing yourself as the best MTB in the world, and winning the WC in Cross are not "nothing". Throw in the winning the GC and a bunch of stages on the road in a high level bike race like Britain (guys prepping for the WC's) and that's better than nothing. I root for WVA in any race VDP is not in, so I wish him the best. We'll see what happens when they both line up later this Fall.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Fair enough Logic. I've been watching all the races so far this road "season" and no doubt WVA has been impressive - including today at DL, driving the pace for the "yellow train". He's clearly better than VDP right now, and definitely maximizing his potential by being on a professional team like JV. I'm strictly a fan though - and a fan of all 3 disciplines. So I disagree that VDP hasn't accomplished anything since AG. Establishing yourself as the best MTB in the world, and winning the WC in Cross are not "nothing". Throw in the winning the GC and a bunch of stages on the road in a high level bike race like Britain (guys prepping for the WC's) and that's better than nothing. I root for WVA in any race VDP is not in, so I wish him the best. We'll see what happens when they both line up later this Fall.
No issues with supporting any rider over others. I simply don't see the need to do so while trying to ridicule people who have a different opinion and by dismissing the talent of other riders. It might come back to bite you in the ass. ;) Admitted, i have somewhat of a softspot for van Aert. Perhaps because he's had to carry that stupid crux. Nothing but respect for Mathieu, probably the most versatile rider in the peloton since the 70s (i'll reserve judgement for Tom Pidcock, who might prove more versatile, but perhaps not equally good on all accounts).

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Doopie
Nieve for example has a far better record than any Yates brother though, having finished 6th, 7th and 8th in Lombardia. And Groupama is going for Molard (10th last year), who could very well finish Top 5 as well.

Sure, they are unlikely to win, but it's not that bad

Mitchelton's selection for one day races has been puzzling to say the least - Haig was 6th last year and is not riding the TDF, but is at the Dauphine - Chaves is riding the TDF and has already done two-stage races and therefore not riding the Dauphine.

You're including Nieve's 7th place from 10 years ago, and discounting that Adam is 8 years younger than Nieve, and has 3 top 10s in Liege plus his San Sebastian win. Not saying Nieve won't do well, I just think Adam would have a better chance of actually winning the race, and would be more likely to animate it.

Adam is recovering from illness hence his disappointing performance in Dauphine - Adam is not ready for Lombardia.

I don't really follow the narrative of riders being off peak/exhausted when normally riding Lombardia. This is the top10 of last year:

1. Mollema (looked to me in great shape, winning that way)
  2. Valverde (coming off his best Vuelta in years and some excellent results in the Italian semi classics)
  3. Bernal (just won on Oropa a few days before)
  4. Fuglsang (likely not in LBL shape but still good)
  5. Woods (just won Milano-Torino, in great shape as always at the end of the year)
  6. Haig
  7. Roglic (coming off a dominant Vuelta performance and win on San Luca)
  8. Buchmann
  9. Latour (probably in top shape considering the way his season went)
  10. Molard
On the other hand I don't really understand why being fresh automatically translate to being in good shape. These guys are not like the ordinary Joe who works better in the morning after a good night's sleep. These are among the best athletes in the world and generally need some fine tuning before hitting their peak.

Nibali is not in great shape just because he's fresh. Quite the opposite, he probably need some more racing in his legs.
Fuglsang doesn't really look as sharp as he looked last spring after riding a few stage races.
Carapaz won't be in top shape considering his biggest target of the year is a month and a half away.

This looks to me like the weakest Lombardia startlist in a long time. And if it wasn't for Evenepoel probably the weakest startlist in any Monument I've ever seen.
Which isn't a bad thing per se. It could lead to some very entertaining racing. Or it could lead to the wonder kid destroying the field on Sormano and getting his fair share of handshakes after the finish line.

Was going to come on and comment that it's a pretty weak field for a Monument, but I see that's been done to death. Could have done without the Dauphine clash.

Obviously it'll be interesting to see how Evenepoel does, he could blow this apart, but maybe with the field watching Remco, it'll open up an opportunity for someone a bit more random. I've always been a fan of Sandro de Marchi and maybe someone like him could get away.

Was going to come on and comment that it's a pretty weak field for a Monument, but I see that's been done to death. Could have done without the Dauphine clash.

Obviously it'll be interesting to see how Evenepoel does, he could blow this apart, but maybe with the field watching Remco, it'll open up an opportunity for someone a bit more random. I've always been a fan of Sandro de Marchi and maybe someone like him could get away.

That would be something if the hitherto winless CCC were to win a monument.

Reactions: BlueRoads
Trek looks like the strongest team by far.
I dunno. If Nibali is in shape, sure.

Astana's team doesn't look half bad, though

Fuglsang - Strade Bianche (5th), Poland (2nd)

Vlasov - Route du Sud (3rd), Mont Ventoux Dénivelé Challenge (1st), Gran Piemonte (4th)

Aranburu - Milano-Sanremo (7th) Gran Piemonte (6th), Gran Trittico Lombardo (2nd)

Tejada - Mont Ventoux (6th)

Ion Izagirre not great, but in decent shape.