• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

12 years old girl on 1st/2nd cat climb

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday i was on local race 9,7km lenght, 5,5% gradient, 523m (start 391m, finish 914m) elevation gain, i think it could go under 1st or at least 2nd cat climb.
Official record time is about 23min 04sec.

So I met this 12 years old girl on finish with 35min 57 sec time. I did some rough calcuations based on her weight, bike and speed which I noticed, and some well known facts as gradient and lenght, and with some speculations like wind speed, cadence, pressure, Cf, Cr, and Cda .
So 33kg +-3kg, bike 9kg, avg spd 16km/h, i found that she can put cca from 124,8watts to 130 watts for that race time or cca 4 w/kg

Regardless of her result IMHO it is too hard for her at that age, i did not see any coach i know arround her so i speculate that her father or club cyclist was/is her coach.

What are yours thoughts about how early girls should hit those kind of hills?
If i am her coach or father i would wait for at least 2 years from now.
Off course i do not know her weekly miles but she looks like Andy Schleck but 30 cm smaller:D

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
oldborn said:
Yesterday i was on local race 9,7km lenght, 5,5% gradient, 523m (start 391m, finish 914m) elevation gain, i think it could go under 1st or at least 2nd cat climb.
Official record time is about 23min 04sec.

So I met this 12 years old girl on finish with 35min 57 sec time. I did some rough calcuations based on her weight, bike and speed which I noticed, and some well known facts as gradient and lenght, and with some speculations like wind speed, cadence, pressure, Cf, Cr, and Cda .
So 33kg +-3kg, bike 9kg, avg spd 16km/h, i found that she can put cca from 124,8wats to 130 wats for that race time.

Regardless of her result IMHO it is too hard for her at that age, i did not see any coach i know arround her so i speculate that her father or club cyclist was/is her coach.

What are yours thoughts about how early girls should hit those kind of hills?
If i am her coach or father i would wait for at least 2 years from now.
Off course i do not know her weekly miles but she looks like Andy Schleck but 30 cm smaller:D
Corinne Rivera was doing that at age 12 and it wasn't her father pushing her. She even got on PowerCranks. She simply loved it. As I remember at that age she had max power numbers of something like 750 watts, 5 minute power of 500 watts. And could sustain over 200 watts. She would win 4-5 national championships every year (track, cyclocross, road). She continues to love it and is now racing pro for Peanut Butter and Co cycling team.

I don't see much of an issue with this if the child really is motivated. It is not like she is running and jarring growing joints.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
FrankDay said:
Corinne Rivera was doing that at age 12 and it wasn't her father pushing her. She even got on PowerCranks. She simply loved it. As I remember at that age she had max power numbers of something like 750 watts, 5 minute power of 500 watts. And could sustain over 200 watts. She would win 4-5 national championships every year (track, cyclocross, road). She continues to love it and is now racing pro for Peanut Butter and Co cycling team.

I don't see much of an issue with this if the child really is motivated. It is not like she is running and jarring growing joints.

Thanks Frank
I really do not know about her motivation, but she looks happy and maybe this is most important, but problem with early specialization model is may lead to burnout, or 'formerly enjoyable activities becoming no longer enjoyable in simple terms.

I am aware that with 12 you are "old" for swimmimg or gimnastics, but cycling is something different IMHO.

I am not familiar with Rivera but she could win some of local races here as well, and climb that same hill for 30 minutes:D

There is some interesting stuff of long specialization model (where I beleive cycling still is) and where 12 year old girl should be now by some;

She is somewhere in learning to train and training to train phase.

FrankDay said:

I have a daughter dedicated to a sport (not cycling, that's Dad's sport) IMHO, as long as she's getting enough calories and rest, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Developmentally, this kind of specialization builds a well-anchored self image as long as the focus is on skills, practice and working towards *personal* goals, NOT winning. 'Winning' is ephemeral at best and rewarding it at a young age doesn't create a functional adult. Should a win occur, the emphasis is on meeting/exceeding a personal goal.

And it's quite likely the kid will lose interest as she grows. If the interest in cycling is treated like a 'life lesson' then she'll be all the better off at a later age. She will have been exposed to the practice of setting goals and working towards them. Perhaps she'll have fun on a bike the rest of her high functioning life. That's a win.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
FrankDay said:

That must be a typo, miscalibrated powermeter or a lie...

3152134810_65d472a231_o.gif

let's assume the girl weighs about 40-45kg that's 11.11 - 12.5 W/Kg Contador wouldn't stand a chance.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
she can do it without any problem. Often women do things right the first time. I have explained to female riders the objective of a hill, from rpm, to heart rate, just stay calm, and recover. They almost always do it. If a girl is young enough and you give her gear suggestions she will follow direction and not create injury where no needs to exist.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Is it the 'girl' part or the age that is concerning? I (for whatever reason) decided to run distance at an early age. (first marathon at 10yrs) I don't think it affected me in the long term. My parents didn't push me but did support me. Neither was active when I started running and neither had a running background. Basically I just decided to do it. I would go through years when I ran less and more. I ran 2 more marathons before I was 18 and have run a few since. I don't think it did any physical damage and I believe running is harder on your body than cycling. As for the burnout aspect. Who knows? I may have stuck with running more consistently if I had run less when I was young but all kids go through different levels of interest in many activities. As long as they're are doing something, by choice, and enjoying it I think it is OK. If she was 12 and doing MMA, different story.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I remember running into a guy on the top of Palomar with his two daughters. They were both under 12 and has just finished a 4,000 foot climb. They had huge smiles on their face, having a great day out with dad. Very cool

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
liftman said:
Is it the 'girl' part or the age that is concerning? I (for whatever reason) decided to run distance at an early age. (first marathon at 10yrs) I don't think it affected me in the long term. My parents didn't push me but did support me. Neither was active when I started running and neither had a running background. Basically I just decided to do it. I would go through years when I ran less and more. I ran 2 more marathons before I was 18 and have run a few since. I don't think it did any physical damage and I believe running is harder on your body than cycling. As for the burnout aspect. Who knows? I may have stuck with running more consistently if I had run less when I was young but all kids go through different levels of interest in many activities. As long as they're are doing something, by choice, and enjoying it I think it is OK. If she was 12 and doing MMA, different story.

Am I getting this wright, your 1st marathon at 10yrs? Dude I almost die when doing it with 36:D

@ Race Radio nice story, incredible.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Developmentally, this kind of specialization builds a well-anchored self image as long as the focus is on skills, practice and working towards *personal* goals, NOT winning. 'Winning' is ephemeral at best and rewarding it at a young age doesn't create a functional adult. Should a win occur, the emphasis is on meeting/exceeding a personal goal.

Well said, here cycling is almost dying so I was happy to see this kid anyway. There is no money at all involved, so I am thinking of father or family influenced on her at best way. On the other hand we can see zillions kids trying to be Ronaldo or Messi, where parents are playing a huge negative role.
So my Chapeau!

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Recently, I read that a 9-year-old girl climbed the east face of Long's Peak.

Before we get our shorts in a bunch, though, I might add she was on rope with her dad and another experienced climber. They bivvied at Chasm Lake, scrambled to Broadway to scope the Casual Route. She decided they might as well go on up.

A photo of the east face of Longs:
7qSyVwMmweSb6N5mYH1z1a.jpg

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
ustabe said:
Recently, I read that a 9-year-old girl climbed the east face of Long's Peak.

Before we get our shorts in a bunch, though, I might add she was on rope with her dad and another experienced climber. They bivvied at Chasm Lake, scrambled to Broadway to scope the Casual Route. She decided they might as well go on up.

A photo of the east face of Longs:
7qSyVwMmweSb6N5mYH1z1a.jpg

and if my minor child is caught out after curfew on her brake-less fixie I can be sited for child endangerment.

maybe I should let her sail around the world or sleep on a cliff