• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

1x in the pro peloton...

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
King Boonen said:
...I'm a little surprised they haven't gone full Eagle with 12x and a 10-50 to be honest...

I think getting the Eagle derailleur to work with the road levers still requires a hack, no? Not to mention, the precious roadie aesthetic suggests they don't want cassettes that are half the diameter of a wheel.

My issue would be with the spacing of gears at the top end of the cassette. During the mountains of a GT you will want to be as comfortable in your pedalling as possible. I'd also want some assurance that the chain won't drop on poor roads or cobbles too.

I could see it working well on long, flat races like Milan-San Reno though.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Jspear said:
I'm not opposed to it, but I guess my question is why? Aren't you guaranteed to have just as many gear problems with such a wide sweep on the cassette and a large derailleur?
My thoughts exactly, unless you use chain catchers or a MTB style derailleur.

The CX pros that use 1x aren't having any of these problems, I haven't. What makes you guys think cobblestones are the exception? After all, the whole point of 1x was to reduce the frequency of skipping gears and dropped chains in the rough.

Giuseppe Magnetico said:
King Boonen said:
...I'm a little surprised they haven't gone full Eagle with 12x and a 10-50 to be honest...

I think getting the Eagle derailleur to work with the road levers still requires a hack, no? Not to mention, the precious roadie aesthetic suggests they don't want cassettes that are half the diameter of a wheel.

I was more meaning I'm surprised Sram haven't issued them with a fully functioning Eagle road group. The massive cassettes do look weird, but it is a disc brake bike so in for a penny... :)

Re:

42x16ss said:
My issue would be with the spacing of gears at the top end of the cassette. During the mountains of a GT you will want to be as comfortable in your pedalling as possible. I'd also want some assurance that the chain won't drop on poor roads or cobbles too.

I could see it working well on long, flat races like Milan-San Reno though.

Yes, I really appreciate the cadence adjustability that a closer ratio 10 and 11 speed cassettes (e.g 11-25 or 11-27) gives me, specially when climbing for extended periods and/or matching the speed of a group I'm riding in.These things would also seem to be important to pro-riders. I just wonder how they will like having to ride with slightly sub-optimal cadence on their 10-50 cassettes.

As to your second point, they'll all ride with chain guides, I'm guessing.

This 1X trend seems like a fashion statement.

Giuseppe Magnetico said:
42x16ss said:
Jspear said:
I'm not opposed to it, but I guess my question is why? Aren't you guaranteed to have just as many gear problems with such a wide sweep on the cassette and a large derailleur?
My thoughts exactly, unless you use chain catchers or a MTB style derailleur.

The CX pros that use 1x aren't having any of these problems, I haven't. What makes you guys think cobblestones are the exception? After all, the whole point of 1x was to reduce the frequency of skipping gears and dropped chains in the rough.
Ok, being from Australia I don't follow CX that closely. I know that MTB setups are using chain guides, what about the CX setups?

Gear spacing would be less crucial for CX though as the hills will be far shorter and groups are smaller too.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Chain guides for 1x are just an insurance policy. Some do some don't. I'm not inclined to venture too in depth into that just because the stark difference between the two disciplines. MTB of course, CX/road unnecessary, but some will situationally dependent on the course. Oh well.

Re gearing; I was an early adopter of 1x while living in Colorado and regularly rode categorized climbs in my backyard, and most of the rest that span the Front Range and never had a problem with the gear spacing.

winkybiker said:

In all honesty, I think we can place 1x speculation and innuendo right beside disc brakes.

Re:

Giuseppe Magnetico said:
Chain guides for 1x are just an insurance policy. Some do some don't. I'm not inclined to venture too in depth into that just because the stark difference between the two disciplines. MTB of course, CX/road unnecessary, but some will situationally dependent on the course. Oh well.

Re gearing; I was an early adopter of 1x while living in Colorado and regularly rode categorized climbs in my backyard, and most of the rest that span the Front Range and never had a problem with the gear spacing.

winkybiker said:

In all honesty, I think we can place 1x speculation and innuendo right beside disc brakes.
I've been crunching the numbers and something like a 50 tooth front paired to a 12 speed 10-40 would give greater range than an 11-30 with standard 53-39 cranks. A 48 tooth front would still give plenty of options, when paired to a 10 tooth. I'm warming to the concept...

BTW, as an early adopter, does this mean you've been testing SRAM :eek:, or messing around with Campag stuff?

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Sure, but why the...:eek:? I think I've stated on this forum multiple times that I've always liked Sram, especially 1x. I've had a couple Sram groups in the last decade, but since they never (and still can't) figure out how to make a decent front derailleur 1x was a welcome change. Also ran Shimano Ultegra as 1x for a bit, low and behold their front derailleurs are also getting worse. And yes, as we speak right now I'm Frankensteining an old Campy Athena 11s group into a 1x to see if the gearing would justify an H11 purchase and removing the front shifting parts out of the lever.

Giuseppe Magnetico said:
Sure, but why the...:eek:? I think I've stated on this forum multiple times that I've always liked Sram, especially 1x. I've had a couple Sram groups in the last decade, but since they never (and still can't) figure out how to make a decent front derailleur 1x was a welcome change. Also ran Shimano Ultegra as 1x for a bit, low and behold their front derailleurs are also getting worse. And yes, as we speak right now I'm Frankensteining an old Campy Athena 11s group into a 1x to see if the gearing would justify an H11 purchase and removing the front shifting parts out of the lever.
Oh, from memory I thought you were not a fan of Sram and their reliability... I must have been thinking of Bustedknuckle.

Re:

macbindle said:
Interesting. I'm still not entirely sure what the point of 1x11 is.

It has more of a point in MTB and CX. Remove the FD and you remove a location that can collect dirt and twigs, you make shifting patterns easier and you can reduce the number of dropped chains (most people I know run narrow-wide, chain guide/catcher and a clutch mech) which is a much more significant problem off-road.

On the road all these benefits are reduced by a large amount.

King Boonen said:
macbindle said:

It has more of a point in MTB and CX. Remove the FD and you remove a location that can collect dirt and twigs, you make shifting patterns easier and you can reduce the number of dropped chains (most people I know run narrow-wide, chain guide/catcher and a clutch mech) which is a much more significant problem off-road.

1X wasn't to get rid of a collection area. FS frame designers have long wished the demise of the front derailer. SRAM has never made a front derailer that worked so they gave up and went 1X. Frame designers celebrated. My last bike purchase was a Scott Spark 910. I could get it with either 2X or 1X Shimano and chose 2X because of the closer cog jumps, and better chain line. 12 cog systems help with the jumps, but make the chain line even worse. Also, I don't think that dropped chains have been an issue for many years, but especially since clutch type rear derailers made their debut.

Are they dabbling with it on the road for aerodynamic reasons?

jmdirt said:
King Boonen said:
macbindle said:

1X wasn't to get rid of a collection area. FS frame designers have long wished the demise of the front derailer. SRAM has never made a front derailer that worked so they gave up and went 1X. Frame designers celebrated. My last bike purchase was a Scott Spark 910. I could get it with either 2X or 1X Shimano and chose 2X because of the closer cog jumps, and better chain line. 12 cog systems help with the jumps, but make the chain line even worse. Also, I don't think that dropped chains have been an issue for many years, but especially since clutch type rear derailers made their debut.

Are they dabbling with it on the road for aerodynamic reasons?

Nope, marketing, particularly from Spam..1x on the ROAD answers no question, solves no problem..front ders work spectacularly everyday..even spam, if set up right.

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
To you personally... Doesn't mean the option shouldn't exist because you don't get it. If 1x chain line is so dang bad, then why would anybody bother with it? Mtb,Cx,Gravel.... Road isn't the exception, it's just the most resistant to change. We already know this.

Ive no objection to it existing, and I can see the point of it for off-road. Just not for road. I've got a carbon bike with DI2, hydro discs and tubeless tyres so I'm not your average Phillistine.

Yes, you are probably right about road riders being most resistant to change...but even within road-riders there is a huge range. If you want reactionaries try riding a randonée/brevet/audax :D

TRENDING THREADS