• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2009 Liège-Bastogne-Liège *winning move*

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
biker jk said:
I wonder why? Sounds awfully similar to Ricco's stage 6 and 9 efforts at the 2008 TDF.
Now now lets not jump to any conclusions, just because his brother was connected to porto and his director admitted to doping..... I think I just convinced myself here:eek:

I really hope he hasn't but lets face it they all do:cool:

St. Elia said:
Now now lets not jump to any conclusions, just because his brother was connected to porto and his director admitted to doping..... I think I just convinced myself here:eek:

I really hope he hasn't but lets face it they all do:cool:

Personally, I like the guy's character. And I hope he did what he did clean. Unfortunately, in this day and age and given his tender years, whenever we see a performance like that a suspiscion is inevitable. Thus I suspect...In any case certain folks Andy frequently has to do with don't help matters hear. To begin with his brother Frank, involved with Operacion Puerto, though tried and acquitted. The money sent to the bank account of the much discussed and discutable Fuentes were only for a training program and not for the doped bloods sacks. His national federation believed him. Amen

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It looked nothing like Ricco. If you remember, Ricco came charging up on the remanants of the breakaway that had been away for a long time and passed them like a train on a much steeper and longer climb. Schleck accelerated, paused and looked back to see who was coming with him and then put the gas on again and pulled away steadily. The reason that it looked even more impressive is that everybody else just looked at each another and did not want to commit to the chase.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I ride with a couple guys that we've dubbed "the brothers Schleck" due to their lack of body fat. When you only weigh a few pounds more than a 14 year old, you can pretty much bet they're going to fly up hills.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
The money sent to the bank account of the much discussed and discutable Fuentes were only for a training program and not for the doped bloods sacks. His national federation believed him. Amen

Doesn't everyone need a gynecologist in Spain? :)

No, seriously though - I like the guys and I think Fränk was probably trying to get his hands onto some stuff but he was clever enough to pull out before he got really involved. The Luxembourg federation probably wasn't entirely objective on the matter either, but at least they kind of did an investigation, unlike Spain, where the minister of sports just says "Valverde didn't dope" - end of investigation.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It was a great effort aided by good timing. It looked as though his climbing gave him the lead and the indecision in the following group allowed him to hold onto that lead.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I like the fact that he went past the break on the inside leaving a narow gap that he appeared to ask Kolobnev to fill (Kolobnev certainly moved across to block the road) so ensuring no-one could follow.

I was disappointed that no-one behind had any inclination to do anything about it. No-one was willing to try and chase

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
The lack of a chase was astounding, I remember seeing Kolobnev and Elder Schleck freewheeling ahead of the group at some points looking round. They had 5 riders in the final chase group, plus Schleck up the road. Ridiculous. Lotto finished with 4 in the group so they could have chased, but I doubt Evans or Gilbert would have wanted to work for one another.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
C'mon everybody...
Let's go with innocent until proven guilty and enjoy how beautiful this sport is. If something arrises in the future we can crucify the guy then...but how pointless is it to prognosticate about this stuff at this point.

Watching the final 20-25 Km was plain ol' fun! I was nervous for young Schleck and hoping he lasted to the finish...this sport is exciting, don't taint it, leave that to the media.

pmessal said:
C'mon everybody...
Let's go with innocent until proven guilty and enjoy how beautiful this sport is. If something arrises in the future we can crucify the guy then...but how pointless is it to prognosticate about this stuff at this point.

Watching the final 20-25 Km was plain ol' fun! I was nervous for young Schleck and hoping he lasted to the finish...this sport is exciting, don't taint it, leave that to the media.

How long have you been around? It's not "crucifying" people, it's utter disgust with being made a fool of time after time after time.

I don't really enjoy watching racing any more. So many times, I've watched a race, and there's been an exciting attack or a brave breakaway. And a few weeks/months/years later the fecker is outed as a doper.

So in the most prestigious and difficult race on the 1 day calendar, the winner stomped the whole peloton, some of whom are known dopers?

Come on. I'm not going to be made to look a tw-at by the pros again. They can all f-uck off.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
But...Gilbert finished fourth, although that will now be third. OK, I grant you he didn't make the final selection and that selection was full of alleged chargers and only got third because the chase was swallowed...but without Andy Schleck chasing, he may well have stayed away and even Scheleck would drop most people on a climb.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
This is the reason why cycling is in the state it is now.
You see, as far as I am concerned Schleck's attack was very well timed. It came about not on the toughest climb, but one a bit less demanding, so he added some element of surprise.
See the video, after Schleck passes the break away drop out riders, they swing to the left of the screen. The chasers get caught behind in the traffic while Schleck keeps hammering. He continued to open the gap. At the top of the climb he has a 45-50 seconds gap. So it seems to me he puts the pressure for about 5-7 minutes, opens the gap, and he works the rest of the stage on maintaining that gap. When he is leading the races, his pursuers are unable to get organized because Saxo has 2 riders playing the tactics game and blocking and distrubing any sign of an organized chase. The tactics forces the chasers to slow down while Schleck keeps cool and collected
Doping or no doping it was an exciting race and that is what is all about. I get actually a bit upset when people make it sound like they want to drop and hate cycling because of its problems. Listen, it is just another form of entertainment and the drugs are part of it. It is just like a soap opera.
Now, if you saw the entire race, after the finale young Schleck is on cooling down in a designated area. The older Schleck came by and as a matter of fact he was a lot more excited that Andy. I actually think he was crying. The Riss swings by and he is as happy as Frank. All of this was going on as the young Schleck was sitting down really unaware of what he has accomplished. It looked like Andy had a guilty approach to his win....

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
What the frick.

I've always been a Schleck fan, and ever since Andy rides so well, I have a lot more sympathy for Armstrong, Contador and Rasmussen. The rule seems to be: ride mediocre, and no one will suspect you. Do well and you're a doper.

TRENDING THREADS